“Good location in Mystic” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Bremerton, Washington
“Good location in Mystic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while on a business trip. I really liked the location (across from Olde Mystic Village) and the view from the room (if facing west). The room was clean and comes with a fridge and microwave (a big plus!). I only had a problem with the sheet still being stained with coffee or something. The sheets were clean, but the stain was still there. I had the maid change them the next day. The other problem was connecting to the internet. The hotel does not have wireless internet and provide a cable in the room. My laptop seemed to take over 45 minutes to connect to the their internal LAN. After that, I had no problems with the internet on the days to follow. I would definitely stay at the Holiday Inn Express when I return on work or vacation trips.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank kibwolf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New Hope, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Mystic with 3 other friends this past Saturday night. We found the hotel to be clean and it certainly met our needs. We were able to check in a little early and while the front desk staff was nice they weren't terribly knowledgable about the area.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kramwald
Cleveland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

First of all do not pay for your room through the internet go directly to the hotel website or call Holiday Inn Express. We paid $35.00 more per night. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express in the past and have never seen a room as run down as this one. The carpets were dirty, the only place to park was in an unsecure area at the back of the hotel. They shut down the breakfast well before 10:00 am. The person putting the food out was also the person cleaning the hotel. The worse I have ever seen. If I did not get caught in traffic and arrive after 10:30 at night I would have asked for my money back and went elsewhere. I was glad I only booked it for one night while visiting the New England states.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank SusieCleveland
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2007

My first mistake was booking a room with Hotellocators.com. I booked it with them using a Discover card with no problems. I even called the front desk a day ahead and asked if our reservation was okay. No problem right?

When we got there the one guy working the front desk informed us after 20 minutes that the hotel didn’t accept Discover card. Wow. Sure wished I brought my American Express.

The problem was when we went in there the hotel was a ghost town. 2 people were in front of us both together at the counter and my family lingered around in the lobby while the one guy answered about 60 questions from the 2. We traveled all day, with three kids in the car and pulled into the Holiday Inn Express and just wanted to check-in and relax for a while. We waited around patiently for someone else to appear and check us in but they never came.

In the mean time the one front desk guy needs to go see if the room is ready for the 2 people at the counter. He ditches the front desk and heads for the elevator and waits for it. Yup, he’s actually going to leave us all there while he goes and sees if the maid is done with their room. He’s gone for about 10 more minutes somewhere above in the upper floors of the hotel and we wander around and see a big sign on the indoor pool: POOL OUT OF ORDER.

To make a long story short we waited around tired, wet and sandy from the beach to find out that we couldn’t have the room, even though we had a ton of cash but only one Discover card. I understand why hotels need to have a credit card and I guess the fact that they didn’t accept a major one didn’t cross my mind. My bad, wish someone told me because Hotellocators.com gladly accepted our Discover card.

The funny thing is we sat there for 25 minutes before the people in front of us left. I get to the counter and tell him our name and then the phone rings and he’s on the line answering someone’s questions about this and that and how to get there and……………..I almost made it through 2 sentences with this guy and next thing I know he’s on the phone with someone too lazy to buy a map to figure out how to get to the place.

What a joke. I’m so glad they didn’t accept our card because the Mystic Hilton did. That place had the staff bring our bags to our room as well as an extra bed and yes the pool was working just fine. The guy at the Holiday Inn Express was joking that he had another 10 hours to go before he had to get the continental breakfast out by the morning. It was only 4 in the afternoon. That’s scary.

They had ONE guy doing everything at the hotel where it usually takes a STAFF of people to accommodate weary travelers. The pool was closed because he probably didn’t have time to clean it because he was probably the pool guy as well as the front desk guy, towel guy and extra pillow guy, valet guy, bell hop, donut and coffee maker guy as well as answer questions to stupid people over the phone in front of paying customers who are already there waiting for a half an hour.

This kind of service probably doesn’t bother most people and they are willing to sacrifice just to save a buck or two. If you are one of these people then you should enjoy your stay at this hotel. The extra 40 bucks we spent somewhere else went a heck of a lot further in my book.

I’m even sorry I booked a hundred and forty-dollar room for the 5 of us in the first place. You get what you pay for………..and even less in this case. In fact our whole trip to Mystic came to a grinding halt once we pulled up to the doors of the Holiday Inn Express. Good luck to anyone staying at this place. We are sure glad we didn’t!

Stayed July 2007
5 Thank jcl6543
Mahopac, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

I have stayed here twice already and will be traveling back to the Mystic Holiday Inn Express July 2007. It is the only place I stay while in Mystic. I have been coming to Mystic once or twice a year since the mid 90's and the Holiday Inn Express is the best stay for the price.

I have stayed here once with the wife and kids and another time with just my wife. The standard suite is more than suitable for a family of four or five. I myself have a 3 year old and 1 month old (ages during my last stay). The room was perfect for my family. My wife and I celebrated her birthday by having a romatic night away and stayed here. We had a very nice suite equipped with an in-room whirlpool. The room even came with a complimentary bottle of Champagne. The cost of the night was only slightly more than a standard room.

The pool and complimentary breakfast were suitable. Upon reading other reviews complaining about the size of the pool and lack of food at breakfast makes me wonder if these people have ever heard the phrase, "you get what you pay for". If you are looking for a large indoor pool with a full breakfast buffet I'm happy to recommend the Hilton. You'll certainly pay the appropriate fee for your stay.

However, I do agree with one of the prior statements about the vending. It is very limited and should be changed to include more vending options. There is a supermarket hidden behind the Mystic Inn which is in walking distance from the Holiday Inn Express. It does close by 10pm so make sure you get what you need before then. Otherwise the Mobil Station at the bottom of the hill is open 24/7 with a full Convienient Mart. The only other gripe I have is the parking. Parking is a commodity by 11pm. If you arrive later than that you will be parking either in the rear of the hotel or somewhere near JAMMS Restaurant, if you're lucky.

All in all this is my favorite hotel in the Mystic area. My family loves it and I recommend it to all my friends, family and colleagues.

• Liked — Cost
  • Disliked — Parking after 10pm
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank djnails
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mystic
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mystic? Share your experiences!