“Very Good”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Shelton, Connecticut
“Very Good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is great. Brilliant location for the Mystic Aquarium and Village, right off 95. Very nice spacious room with big TV. Excellent free continental breakfast. Everything I would expect from a quality hotel. I didn't go swimming but the pool looked a little small for those that care.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room to face the front instead of the back parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
ny
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Either the king room are huge or I got an upgrade not really sure. Free wifi and breakfast and indoor pool and hot tube for the kids how can you go wrong. Right next to aquirume and shops you can walk if you want. Near 95. Ask for even numbered room to no look at back parking lot. Great service.

• Stayed July 2013
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stay here about 2 weeks for work. Everything was great. They actually had some top floor rooms with a good view. Good restaurants around walking distance or a short drive into Mystic for some fun/dinning. We started at the Hilton but moved because HI offered a in room fridge.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TexasFight1979
Atlanta
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Holiday Inn Mystic exceeded my expectations. In contrast to other reviews, our experience was positive. We had a group of 6 - 3 rooms. The rooms are large and up to date. Bathrooms were clean and spacious. Everything worked as it should - including internet service.

Breakfast is below average in terms of food quality - and the coffee was weak.

Response at check in and check out was prompt, helpful, and friendly.

Overall the cost was a little more than expected, but the facility was clean and positive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ericAtlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right off the highway tucked away on beautiful grounds by a reservoir. Very attentive front desk. We stayed on the concierge level. Other guests could have been more mindful of leaving trays and food in hallway without calling down to have them cleared. Nice pool kids loved it! Very convenient and central to everything

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank CrotonFM
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night over 4th of July weekend. It's basically what you'd expect from a hotel in this price-class. (Though I have been in nicer HE Expresses in other locations.) The lobby is very nice, as is the free breakfast, and the employees are very friendly. The rooms, though, leave something to be desired. It's nice that they have the couch and mini-fridge, but they're quite dated. And our bathroom had a faint foot smell to it. We aren't too finicky though, so were able to deal since we were just staying for one night.

My main complaint was related to the "great location" that we'd read about in so many other reviews. I guess I should have read more closely, since the "great location" is more in relation to its proximity to I-95, than its relation to downtown Mystic. I booked expecting us to be within walking distance to the bars, restaurants and waterfront of downtown Mystic. But it's actually about a 10-15 minute drive to that area. (You can walk to a Shell station for a Friendly's though! If that's your thing.) I obviously should've read the reviews more carefully, but my main piece of advice would be, do NOT book this hotel if you plan on being footsteps from the waterfront.

Overall, decent enough place for one night, but probably wouldn't choose it again if we were coming back to Mystic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Jennie521,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am truly sorry to hear that you didn't find our location to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction this has caused you.

It is only with both positive and negative feedback that we can strive to improve our service to our guests and I do hope that this incident will not deter you from staying with us in the future. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our family has been staying at this Holiday Inn Express almost yearly for the past 6 or so years. We have always been 100% satisfied with our stay...unfortunatley, not the case this time around.
The room was was nice, clean and spacious with comfy beds/pillows. However, the pool area was not up to standards this trip. As repeat customers, with children, we always look forward to the nice indoor pool area and the hot tub is a favorite with my husband. However, this trip we could not even use the facililties. Upon arrival we noticed that the pool was super cloudy--to the point that you could not even see the bottom step or the bottom of the pool-there was also a weird film over the top of the water. My son stuck his foot in and said it was absolutley freezing as well. With the water quality the way it was I would not let him in the water. We checked out the hot tub and it was GREEN!!!! There was stuff mabey algae or somthing all over the walls of the hot tub and the water was green...yuck!! We decided to check it out the following day and there was no improvement. I decided to complain and was told that the pool was safe to swim in and that the chemical levels were right where they should be--I don't think so!! No way was I going to allow my child to swim in that water! On Wednesday morning we went in to see if there had been any change....the doors were propped open and the smell of chemicals was overwheliming. There was only the tiniest change in water quality in the pool as far as clarity, but the weird film on top was still there and the hot tub was still tinged green! Just standing in the pool area for a few minutes casued my eyes to actually water!! By evening the entire first floor hallway smelled of pool chemicals!!

There were also several times when we needed somthing at the front desk and we had to wait for some time for someone to come to the desk area...this was never an issue previous years...perhaps the hotel has changed management??

Sorry to say that on our next trip to Mystic, we will be looking at other options for our lodging.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sarah d
Sophie B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Sarah,

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened during your stay. We were having some issues with the pool but they have now since been taken care of. Still, I feel that this was unacceptable. I would like to speak with you further about this issue, please email me at sophieb.hiexmystic@yahoo.com.