“Very clean, nice breakfast, great location.”

Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to attend a wedding and got a different rate, so I do not know how much the actual cost on a normal night is, but we were satisfied. It is close to the aquarium and the Mystic Seaport and easily accessible to I95. We did not go to the indoor pool, but it looked nice. Breakfast was good but it did get crowded by 8 am. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Chickadoo81
Sophie B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

We love entertaining wedding guests and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is very popular because of the convenience and we thank you for noticing. We are glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We hope you come stay with us again and maybe get to use the pool too!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Mystic

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Mystic with my wife and two young sons in August 2012. The hotel is well located close to an exit of the i-95 highway, across the street from Olde Mystick Village and also a number of diners and restaurants. It is a short drive from Mystic Seaport and the centre of the town of Mystic.

There is plenty of parking. The lobby is bright and spacious. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly. We shared one room which was very spacious. It had two double beds and a sofa bed, so our boys could have a bed each. There is no in-room safe - we had to use a safety deposit box at reception. There was a free self service breakfast in the lobby which included cereals, juices, breads and hot drinks, with a limited amount of hot food. There is a small indoor swimming pool which we didn't get the chance to use. There is free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your pleasant review of our Mystic location. We are happy you enjoyed staying with us at our property. Our internet goes throughout the lobby and in all of our guest rooms as well! We hope you come stay with us again on your next trip to Mystic, CT.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

From the outside this HIEx is plain but inside it is warm and welcoming. The young lady at check in was so sweet and helpful, a great asset to the hotel. Our room was very nice, clean and large with an additional seating area. We visited Mystic Seaport to enjoy all that it has to offer. The stay was surprisingly very quiet even though I 95 is right outside. The little fact that the individual room doors don't slam by themselves, like so many hotels, allowed for a good nights rest. More hotels need to pay attention to this irritating factor for their guests . The only downside that I witnessed was that the desk clerk was having to do double duty in the morning and set up breakfast as well as attend to guests needs. This was not a particularly busy time yet it definitely created conflict between caring for guests and getting the breakfast out too. Rose was very helpful but it appeared to be over-extending any persons abilities. A little management tweaking by adding staff will put this hotels ratings up up up, it's just good business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HawkSpiritTraveler

Thank you for your response to our hotel facilities at our Mystic location. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Although, we are sorry to hear that you witnessed a busy time for one of our front desk clerks. We have addressed this issue and have better service available for our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel is in a great location next to the little shopping village and some restaurants. Unfortunately, it rained and we weren't able to take advantage of this perk. We did go next door to The Boathouse restaurant and had a nice meal.

When first walking into the hotel the smell of air freshener is overpowering. My first thought is that it's there to cover up something. I hate air freshener and feel it is very toxic. So, didn't like that right away.

We went up to our room after my husband checked in. He wasn't able to get either key to work and left us in the all with all our bags to go get the keys fixed. The keys don't work well in general and it takes MANY attempts to get the door open, which is very frustrating.

The room was a decent size and fairly clean. I noticed dust in the corners of the carpet. We made up the sofa bed for the kids, but the flat sheets wouldn't stay on the bed and there was no mattress pad. They ended up sleeping most of the night on a bare mattress.

The breakfast was served only until 9:30. We woke at 8:30 and hurried to get ready to make breakfast. There wasn't much of a selection and everything was pretty unhealthy. They offered green bananas, yogurt, cereals, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, omelets, etc. It sounds good, but it all seemed like "plastic" food to me. The guy working the breakfast wasn't very friendly, but was kind enough to sweep up some spilled cereal for us. He didn't wipe the tables and I cleaned ours with a napkin and Purell.

This would not be our first choice in Mystic, but it was the only thing available. We're going back in June for another weekend and staying here again because we can't get anything else.

Our kids also used the pool, which is very small. They also thought it was too cold. The hot tub jets didn't work. The pool towels are the size of face towels.

The more I write, the more I realize this place wasn't very good!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
SophieCB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are happy that you enjoyed the location of our property. It is one of our greatest assets. However, I'm sorry to hear that there were parts of your stay that were not satisfactory. We are standardized for Holiday Inn Express, this included the breakfast, air freshener and other aspects of the hotel. We are always trying to improve, and we do what is allowed through our corporate family. Thank you so much for your input. The items your mentioned are being evaluated to better serve you.

We do hope you decide to try the Holiday Inn Express Mystic again when you come to visit the area. Please feel free to contact me at sophieb.hiexmystic@yahoo.com to speak further about your experience.

Warm Regards,
Sophie B.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed over after a day at the aquarium. Got a room on the first floor right by the pool. Room was ok. somewhat over priced for a basic room. not super fancy. Sleeping in was impossible. Whomever was manning the front desk seemed to be slamming doors and drawers all night long and as soon as the sun was up the gardener must have made 800 trips to the hose faucet which was squeaky and right under our window. I was not impressed and will defiantly stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: First floor near lobby and pool was very loud early in the morning.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Patrick M

Dear Guest,

I'm sincerely sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. We apologies for the noise you encountered during your stay. These events are being evaluated and we are speaking to the parties involved.

Warm Regards,
Sophie B.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for a week at the end of Feb 2013 for a business trip.

Checkin - fast, efficient, friendly. The lady on the desk when I checked in was just lovely. It was sorely understaffed though, often no-one at the desk when I returned for the day, so any issues or just simple questions could not be answered.

Parking - didn't use it, but there was plenty, although some was not able to be used because of the piles of snow.

Room - right at the far end of the corridor near the laundry, away from the elevator, gym, etc. In general it was very quiet, except for the first night when I had the neighbours from hell. I mentioned it to reception the following day (mainly to find out if the offenders were still in the hotel), and they were most apologetic which was nice, but not their fault. Enormous room, huge bed, very comfortable. An extra blanket would have been nice, as I did get quite cold during the night. The heater was very noisy so I didn't want to run it. (aforementioned lack of staffing made it difficult to ask for an extra one too). Walls were a bit thin, I could hear the chap next door snoring.

Laundry - great - a washer and dryer, cost $1 each, change and soap powder was available at reception. Beware though, it was extremely hot even on low, my clothes were cooked. But a great facility!

The included breakfast was the one disappointment. Coffee was really ordinary. OJ was ok. There was a reasonable range of cereals in dispensers which you ate from polystyrene plates with plastic spoons. Small cartons of milk were available in the fridge, along with a nice range of tiny little yoghurt containers (really nice yoghurt). There was bread and a pancake maker, a selection of pastries and buns. Eggs and bacon really were diabolical though. Varied from scrambled to omelettes depending on the day; the omelettes were pre-cooked, reheated discs of rubber; the scrambled were overcooked and solid, bacon was totally nuked. Plastics knives and forks.

The area - bit hard to get around, didn't have a car as we were in a work group and had to rely on those who did. A couple of restaurants in walking distance which were very reasonable. Mystic Village was just across the road with some touristy traps.

Overall - I'd stay here again, because the room was so very good. Price was not great, given we had a corporate rate the Country Inn down the road was considerably cheaper (almost $30 a night less; although breakfast was about the same according to a co-worker). I'd rather pay for breakfast than have a poor quality complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Facing the front was nice, a pleasant outlook over the village.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I called the front desk and booked a room for my family. Two queen beds and one pullout couch( $106 per nght) as there are two adults and three children. When we arrived at the hotel, after a day at the Bronx Zoo, at approximately 8:15 pm we were tod they had our room with a king size bed and a pullout couch ($145 a night). This was not what I had reserved for our famiy of 5. The desk person offered to reduce the price and we decided to stay. We went to the room and the key did not work. The attendent came up we got it unlocked only to find no pullout couch, just a king size bed. Not acceptable for a family of 5 and certainly not what I reserved. We were offered a free night stay but not this night, there was not a room for us to stay. There was no offer to find us a room elsewere or help in any way. Just a free night some other time and was told to book it soon so we would not be forgotten.
It has been over a week since this event and I have not been contacted in any way from Hotel management. I am in the hospitality business and can not believe a hotel of this caliber has such poor customer satisfaction skills. I have never heard of this happening to anyone and am still irrate over how this happened and the lack of follw-up.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear ellie1026,
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express, I would like to express my deepest regrets that your previous stay was not up to the customer service standards we try to uphold. This matter is under review and the parties involved have been evaluated. We know taking these steps will ensure a better guest experience for future visits.
Please contact me at katek.hiexmystic@hotmail.com or Front Office Manager Sophie at sophieb.hiexmystic@yahoo.com to discuss your past stay at our hotel.
Kate K