If you visit Mystic, don't miss this little gem of an activity. At the East end of the Drawbridge near S&P Oyster Co, a small sign invites you to take a boat tour of the harbor - departing every half hour beginning at 11 am. The cost is $10 for adults and is a great bargain.
We were greeted by Captain Carl as we gathered for the tour. A few minutes before 11, the Captain maneuvered the vessel so that the boarding ramp abutted the dock and securely tied The Mystic Express to the mooring posts enabling all to board conveniently. About a dozen passengers chose our seats (the capacity is 21). After some concise safety instructions, Captain Carl described what we were about to see on our 1/2 hour harbor tour. He handed out laminated cards with a navigational map on one side and a guide to the historic homes of Captains' Row that we would be passing on the other. Shortly after 11, we were under way.
As we sailed on the river past Captains' Row, we approached Mystic Seaport with its historic ships and sailing camp for kids. All along the ride, Captain Carl described the educational and restoration activities at the seaport as well as sharing tales of seafaring traditions such as tattooing and how to interpret the information provided by Coast Guard buoys. Notable homes built a century ago were pointed out along with the latest in restaurants about town. Near the end of our tour, we approached the Drawbridge, and learned of its operation.
If this sounds like it must have taken more than a mere 30 minutes, you are correct. The little cruise was closer to an hour.
If you are only stopping in Mystic for a short visit, this tour is ideal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Mystic Hotel. Hotel features include complimentary continental breakfast and free local phone calls. Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new Express Start Breakfast Bar served every morning featuring a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, breads/pastries, and even hardboiled eggs. We have also created the world's best tasting cinnamon roll. Visit Mystic, CT and stay smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Mystic reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Mystic Hotel Mystic
- Mystic Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Mystic