Holiday Inn Express Mystic
Howard Johnson Inn Mystic(Mystic)(Great Value!)
$84
$85
QualityInn
$64
EconoLodge
Residence Inn Mystic Groton(Mystic)(Great Value!)
$179
$161
Residence Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic(Mystic)(Great Value!)
$131
$116
Inn at Mystic(Mystic)(Great Value!)
$175
$170
Hotels.com
The Whaler's Inn(Mystic)
$209
$267
Hotels.com
Hyatt Place Mystic(Mystic)(Great Value!)
$148
$125
Travelocity
All reviewspancake machineacross the streetmystic villagefront deskboathouse restaurantpool and hot tubcinnamon rollsrestaurant next doorfree breakfastyogurthill overlookingwould stay here againparking lothotel is in a great locationthe breakfast arearooms are largesofa bed
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I booked a room at this hotel because I was going to a concert at the Mohegan Sun. Property was easy to find from the interstate and closer to Mohegan than I realized. Arrived just after 5:30p on a Monday. No front desk clerk to be found. The phone was ringing and not a staff member in sight. After about ten minute wait staff appeared. Checked in and went to the room. Initially found the room to be "okay" at best but didn't look overly closely because we had a concert to get to. Booked a room with a whirlpool. I was not impressed. Simple standard room with a old, worn down whirlpool in the corner.

Headed out to the concert. Returned to the hotel late, about 1a. We now had time to take a closer look at the room. There were alot of "little things" wrong. Overall, it seemed that the room was in great need of some care. Stains on both the curtain and shower curtain. Rug ripped and torn. No ice bucket liner. Plastic, not glass, drinking cups. TV remote was sticky. And the most random thing of all, no clock anywhere in room.

Checked out the next day. The clerk was somewhat friendly but not useful. I asked for a "zero balance folio" (which I have learned to always obtained from a hotel) and she seemed confused by the request. I told her the hotel was in need of some attention and I wasn't impressed. She said "sorry" and left it at that.

Now I realize alot of people post reviews and some are rather infrequent travelers. I'm not one of them. I'm a Platinum Elite guest and travel about 35 to 40 nights per year for various reasons. I mostly have wonderful stays at Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. But, once in a while, one like this comes along. I'm not one to complain but I expect what I pay for. A clean, comfortable hotel with good service. Mystic missed the mark by far.

I had two more stays booked for August. Those, obviously, have been cancelled. I will find another property because this one is not worthy of a return visit. The sad truth, it COULD be a great hotel. Just some basic upkeep and customer service. It's too bad... waste of great location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fly_away_11
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Couldn't beat the location, within walking distance to both the Aquarium and Olde Mistick Village. However do be careful, walking distance includes walking over 4 lanes of traffic. Rooms were nice and clean; I found the bed and pillows too soft and so I was not able to sleep well either night we stayed. Breakfast was good; and it varied which was nice (omlettes and hashbrowns one morning, scrambled eggs the next) the cinnamon buns were okay. Coffee was out of this world (and I'm very picky with my coffee.) The pool area would have been nice but since we were here during a school break there were many kids running around. In the pool was fine but the fact that the children (some still wearing water wings) were running wild, spraying other guests with the cold water supply and splashing in the hot tub was too much and we had to leave, that is not a negative towards the hotel, more so towards the parents. My biggest negative towards the hotel was the so-called "Fitness Room" as someone who likes to work out everyday this is always a main reason why I choose a hotel. This fitness room was very disappointing, it consisted of two treadmills and one non-functioning elliptical machine. Overall I would stay here again and I would recommended to friends.

Room Tip: close curtains 1st floor, parking lot looks in
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Key_Leigh87
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I stay at the HI Express chain in many towns on the average of once a month, and this one is the worst from the standpoint of staff. I started out with a problem in that I had used the Holiday booking site to book two SMOKING average rooms, and even gotten a message on my confirmation informing me that SMOKING rooms are limited and may not be available for late check in. When we checked in a desk clerk who acted very annoyed that he had ended a phone call to serve us, proclaimed loudly that "we are a totally non-smoking hotel'. When presented with the confirmation paperwork, he just shrugged and kept shuffling papers. No apology, nothing. I will avoid this place in the future, and I will now start calling ahead regardless of the booking receipt. I smoke, I like to smoke, and I will patronize only hotels that acknowledge that!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I think if you are going to Mystic, CT to see the sights and you don't have any high expectations, then this hotel is for you. There's really nothing bad about it at all. The hotel is on the top of a hill, overlooking the main 'strip' of other hotels and restaurants. It's just across the street from the Mystic Aquarium and Mystic Village. Everything is pretty close. First impression of the hotel lobby is that it's a nicely decorated. To your right is the dining room and the breakfast area where you can get free coffee/juice and other assorted stuff. (we never bothered to eat from there, so I can't really comment about it). To your left is a little sitting area and then the front desk. Our check in was fast, we were the only ones there at that time. The young girl did her job efficiently and while not the most friendly person, she seemed nice. We went to our room and there was this very strong scent of what I think was Febreeze. That first night it was pretty strong. Anyway, we had the king size bed room. A decent sized bathroom, but if you want to be nit picky, the wall paper was peeling away a little bit above the shower and the inside of the bathroom door was dirty (like little dirty hands smuged the paint and there was a streak of what appeared to be red crayon). Other than that, it was very clean. I agree with another post that the toilet paper is pretty far from the toilet. Had to stretch each time. If I were a little kid or a shorter person, I might have to gather the tp before I sat down!! ;) The room itself had a couch with a desk across from it with a chair. Next to that there was a little cabinet that had a mini fridge under it and on the shelf a small microwave. On the other side, there was a small bureau that had the flat screen tv on it. Then the bed against the opposite wall with night stands on either side. They provide an ironing board/iron, hair dryer and there's a two cup coffee maker w/coffee in the bathroom on the counter in there. The bed was pretty comfy. There were two extra pillows (to add to the four that were already on the bed). Wish they had an extra blanket though. The comforter (if that's what you want to call it) was pretty thin and tucked under a top sheet with a very small blanket that was folded at the foot of the bed. You can adjust your temp up or down, but even when we had the temp up to 80, it still felt chilly in there. Someone mentioned that the walls are thin. I don't know what it'd be like in full tourist season, but it was okay. If you live in the boonies where all you hear all day long is the birds when you open a window, you might have a hard time sleeping. The windows are not entirely sound proof so you hear the muffled street and highway traffic. You can also hear people shutting their car doors or if they are playing their radio loud or having a loud conversation. Inside, we heard little bumps from our next door neighbor and the second night we heard this little person running up and down the room a few times and in the middle of the night, they had to make what I'm guessing was a bathroom run..I heard a thump and then feet running to what was the bathroom. Whenever someone would use the shower or flush the toilet in the morning (it never really did this in the afternoon/evening hours..maybe as the building warmed up??) we could hear one of the pipes clanging in the bathroom..not too noisily. But see, these are all nosies you would hear in the city or if you lived in an old house or had neighbors close to you; so it didn't really bother us too much. We had a first floor room, if you haven't gathered. I'd say our stay was pleasant. Our room in THE Hotel in Las Vegas was so much nicer, but you know, it doesn't really matter too much as long as there aren't any bugs and things don't look like they are about to fall apart. I'd say, it's an average hotel. For the area, I'd say the hotel rates are average also. Just as an fyi about the area, there are restaurants all over the place. Right next door is the Boatyard (ate there, very nice), the Steak Loft is next to the Mystic Village (ate there also..very good), McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Friendly's, the Equinox Diner (had breakfast there twice..very good) Go Fish (ate there the last time we were in Mystic..many years ago..very expensive). The village of Mystic is very quaint with many little shops and of course, the infamous Mystic Pizza. The drawbridge as of March 2011 is under construction but it's a one lane bridge at the moment, so you may have a couple minutes for waiting for traffic to clear from the other direction..there's a light at either end. 95 is easy access as well as rte 1 and 27. :)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jenlaur1
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This is the 2nd time we stayed at this hotel. We arrived on Saturday 2/19 at noon. We were able to check in at this time. The girl at the front desk was very nice. This year we booked a King Room w/jacuzzi tub. The room was spotless. The only thing that I feel needs improvement is the breakfast. It is over at 9:30 which is very early for a weekend. The hot water, coffee, 1/2 and 1/2 and bread were all empty. The woman running the breakfast was helpful and filled everything when I asked.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple