“Don't get what you pay for”
Review of Sea Swirl

Sea Swirl
Ranked #34 of 101 Restaurants in Mystic
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Sea Swirl of Mystic was formerly a street side Carvel Ice Cream shop. It is located at 30 Williams Avenue at the junction of Routes 1 & 27 in Connecticut. Sea Swirl offers the best of fried clams and fantastic seafood plus has one of the most beautiful sunsets on the horizon. Outdoor dining overlooks the flood tide and customers can enjoy delicious ice cream as well. Sea Swirl may seem like an unlikely place to find four-star food, but for many years now, it has sustained a deserved reputation as one of the finest places to eat fried clams, especially the whole-belly variety. Sea Swirl serves a full roster of expertly fried seafood, including scallops, shrimp and fish. For an alternative to seafood, there are hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, vegetarian options and more.
Reviewed August 14, 2006

The Sea Swirl had been on the Food Network so I was so excited that we were staying within walking distance. I made it my mission to have lunch there the first day. I knew about it being a diner and ice cream shop but I was surprised at the few number of people ordering food. There was a large line. After getting our lobster roll I found out why. At $16+ it was the smallest lobster roll I have ever seen or paid for. The better places in town were charging about the same but with a whole lot more lobster! For the money I would never go back again. I lost some respect for the Food Network as a result of this experience.

4  Thank boguk

Reviewed August 8, 2006

The Sea Swirl was once a great little Ice Cream and Clam bar on the coast in Mystic, CT. I used to love the clam strips and whole belly dinners, but when I visited last month, I was shocked at the tiny portion of fried clams they sold for sixteen dollars plus, and the poor quality of the food as well. There is simply no excuse for selling under a dozed fried clams and a few fries for that much money. Nobody else in town does. Cove fish market down the street has the same high price but you get all the clams you can eat. Another option is Sea View with good price/ value on Greenmanville Avenue. I've lived in the area over 40 years, and have eaten at the Sea Swirl many times . . .but never again after this skimpy and expensive meal.

5  Thank Iron_Mike44