“I had a great time here”
Review of Taste of India

Taste of India
Ranked #61 of 99 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Atlanta, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I had a great time here”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The service could have been a little more prompt, but that was all! We got to eat outside on a nice night. We really enjoyed the food, and the owner even came and spoke with us. We would eat here again!

• Visited May 2012

Los Angeles, California
“Disappointingly Average Indian Food”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had been told that this was THE place to get authentic Indian curry around the area, so I was pretty excited to check it out. I absolutely adore curry, and I was expecting excellence.

We ordered Garlic Naan and fried Paneer for appetizers, which were both average - not exceptional, not bad. Pretty traditional preparation, although portions were a bit smaller than other places that I've eaten at.

I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala (should be a classic, right?) and was immediately disappointed. The curry was too sweet, and I had to send it back because I asked for it "spicy" and received "mild" at best. The second time around it was better, but still had too much of a sweet base. Also, their basic curry dishes DO NOT come with Basmati rice. This is ridiculous, considering it costs around $11-$12 per dish. I would NEVER have expected to pay an extra $2.95 in order to have regular Basmati rice with my curry order.

My boyfriend had the Kashmir platter, which was basically Indian fried rice. Like another reviewer said, the vegetables were clearly from frozen packs - unexpected. However, I thought his dish was spiced appropriately at least.

The entire restaurant seems to be run by the owner/chef and one waiter (it's a really small place). The waiter really didn't seem to know what was going on, and couldn't even recommend a good alternative to Chicken Makhani (my traditional order). Service was slow and negatively contributed to the experience.

Overall, I was less than impressed with this restaurant, and I would only go again if I had a really huge craving for curry. I would probably also only go for takeout instead of sitting in the restaurant waiting far too long for service.

• Visited March 2012
Groton, Connecticut
“Food haters”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Really i agree with my friend . this is worst experience for me . some time we said to te serving guy about the food taste and quality he is simply saying OK and sorry, not trying to give better food or not even trying to withdraw any of the item which is served and not at all good.
Really i am not sure the cook were professional or learner.
Please do not try this.......

Naga

• Visited February 2012
Norristown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Order food, don't eat, pay huge bill -- Looking for this combo, please visit”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I am from Philadelphia and was here on businees trip. Highlights of the food we had

1) No salt, no Spice, very Bland
2) oreder Lamb soup -- was surprised to see Peas,Corn,Carrot,Beans but no lamb pieces( in short, mixed vegetables in hot water)
3) Tandoori Chicken -- No Salt, was #13 and only 3 small pieces, the worst tandoori ever tasted
4) Karachi Chicken Biriyani -- Mixed vegetables, chicken pieces(not sure how old). For the first time in my life I saw beans,corn and carrot in Spicy Chicken Biriyani
5) Mango lassi -- My colleague had a sip and just left it as it is

Well and the list goes... four of us ended up paying $110 and we also had to service tax of $14

Now I leave upto you... make your decision

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank JVVInay
Mystic, Connecticut
“Incredible Dinner”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We had been meaning to eat here for years, but always got distracted by other restaurants that we love in Mystic, such as Pita Spot, Avanti's, Rice Spice Noodles, etc....well finally this past Saturday we decided to give it a try and I'm still reeling from what a fresh, delicious meal we both had. We started out with the Vegetable Samosa's. They give you two huge pillowy samosas and 3 sauces, one red, one green, and one brown. The flavors were incredible. We also ordered the spinach naan, which was piping hot, fresh out of the oven. That was tasty, healthy, and delicious as well. I'm a vegetarian, so I ordered to Chana Masala and my boyfriend ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. They were very generous portions served with an even bigger portion of fresh, fluffy basmati rice. The spices and flavors in their chana masala are perfect. The cumin, chic peas, and potatoes are all cooked to perfection. I LOVE spice, but learned quickly due to an experience years ago that an Indian or Thai restaurants version of spicy is much different than the american idea of spicy. They spiced it to perfection! Just enough kick so that you know you're eating something different but not enough that you're in distress. My boyfriend said his Chicken Tikki Masala was delicious but preferred my dish over his. The bill came to $30 for an appetizer, huge portion of naan, two entrees, and enough rice to feed a small army. We're definitely going to be adding this into our Mystic restaurant rotation. It's fresh, healthy, and deeeeelicious!! I highly recommend.

• Visited September 2011