“Great Dessert”

Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I stopped in late for dessert and coffee. The staff was very friendly, recommended the best desserts and we were able to enjoy a leisurely late night sweet without feeling rushed.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Come here every time we are in Mystic and never disappointed. Atmosphere is so cozy with Little Italy decor. I started with a Cosmo and my husband had a Bombay martini. Both were excellent and large drinks. Fresh bread is delic. Knowing that the portions are quite large we skipped the appetizers but there are lots it choose from. I had the pasta and sausage dish and my husband had the risotto. Both wonderful. We ended with a fresh filled cannoli which was more than enough for two. Had a nice bottle of chianti with dinner. Only recommendation I have for restaurant is to expand their wine list. If anyone wants to eat here need to know that they don't take reservations and it is small so need to get there relatively early. Or if have to wait the bar is lots of fun for a pre-dinner drink!

1  Thank Eileen R
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Far and away our best dining experience all weekend. We got there at 5:45pm so we were able to be seated. Our server was awesome, so friendly and knowledgeable and not all bothered by our slight indecisiveness. We took advantage of the Restaurant Week deals and we were not disappointed. The appetizers were small and the entrees a bit small also but they were delicious. Wish we had gone there for every meal and not waited until our last night in town. We will definitely be back when we return to the area.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

1  Thank RFrag
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've lived in Mystic all my life, yet I hadn't been to AJ's since I was a child, for some reason. My husband and I popped in for drinks a few weeks ago, so although I couldn't really write a review based on the drinks that night (which were great!), we finally decided to dine here this past Sunday for lunch. We walked in and were surprised to see that the place was nearly filled to capacity on a Sunday around 1:30pm. We were seated at the last remaining table. Our server wasn't overly friendly, but I think she was also doubling as the hostess. She was fine, just very curt and otherwise occupied / busy seeming. The menu has plenty of options for both meat eaters and vegetarians alike. The baked pastas, salads, and pizzas sounded amazing, but we finally each decided to go with a panini. We each ordered a drink and our mains. The wait for our food was about 25-30 minutes, which is rather long for two panini's, but I happen to love dining at restaurants where I'm not rushed. We passed the time with good conversation and nice pours of their house Chardonnay. The panini's were delicious! Their house made mozzarella is a nice touch, and I like that their sandwiches are served with a heaping portion of their cranberry coleslaw and a pickle instead of fries. I noticed a blackboard with the specials on it on our way out (which was blocked from our view because of the position of our table). They had a fresh buratta salad, which I would have LOVED to order. It would have been nice if our waitress had mentioned the specials or even said anything to us at all, but I'm hoping it was just an off day for service. I'll definitely be back for another meal soon, however it will have to be the last stop of the night for dinner. Something that I noticed both times were were in the establishment was that when you leave, your clothes and hair are marinated in the smell of cooked meats and seafood. I would imagine it has something to do with the slightly open kitchen and small size of the place, but I just dropped my peacoat off at the cleaners today because it smells so horrible. I'm sure this doesn't bother most people (my husband could have cared less when I mentioned it) but it is something to know if you're planning on going somewhere afterwards that you will smell. We walked into the jewelry store after and they mentioned that we smelled like garlic, which is sort of awkward. All in all, they have decent prices, a cozy little atmosphere, delicious food, and a great overall experience. I'm glad we finally decided to dine here and look forward to a romantic dinner date here in the near future.

1  Thank KillaFee