“I had to go because of the movie” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mystic Pizza

Mystic Pizza
Ranked #9 of 98 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Des Moines, Iowa
“I had to go because of the movie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

As a child of the 80s, I loved the movie "Mystic Pizza" and when I visited Mystic, CT, I had to go to the restaurant, even though my cousin made fun of me and even though I understand the restaurant scenes were filmed elsewhere.

For a true fan of the movie, it did not disappoint. First, the location - downtown Mystic is about as quaint and adorable as you could want. Water, a main street lined with cute shops, church spires popping up on hills and behind trees.

The interior of the bar/restaurant has a lived in feel - not a dive, just packed with memorabilia. We sat upstairs, where the movie was playing on a screen on one wall. I had a local beer, which was tasty, although I don't recall the name. We both started out with the Mystic salad, which was a nice size and was delicious. I had a small seafood special pizza, which was also yummy. Was it the best pizza I've ever had in my life? No, but I liked it, and as a fan of the movie, I liked the ambience, and I bought a magnet at their merchandise counter.

If you love the movie like I do - it's worth a stop. On a side note, we also stopped in at a jewelry shop a few doors down, N.L. Shaw & Co., and they had pizza slice charms made specially because of the movie. My cousin and I each bought a charm to commemorate our trip.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Starlight1313

• Czech first
North Haven
“Gluten Free Pizza, Finally!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a lovely Lunch, and got right in without a wait, as it was a quiet monday. Everyone from the host, to our waitress were very friendly. The booths are a bit uncomfortable and "Tight", especially if you weigh more than standard size, but the food was great. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful, the food was quickly served, hot and fresh. I ordered a gluten free pizza with Artichoke, Bacon, and Chicken, and it was delicious. These days its hard to find gluten free pizza that tastes good, but they did a great job with this one. I also ordered an Antipasto salad which was beautifully presented and plenty filling for a small. Don't order a large unless you plan to share as you will be very stuffed before your pizza arrives. Just wish they had their own parking lot, as parking is scarce there. We parked in the bank parking lot, directly behind the building. My husband ordered 2 slices of pizza and they brought him 3 slices instead. They only charged us for two...:) Overall a great experience and friendly staff with great gluten free pizza. Thanks Mystic Pizza!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank chemoangel
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This restaurant is definitely living off its fame from the movie. The pizza was really only an enhanced version of something from pizza hut, and it's by no means an extravagant restaurant. Everywhere you looked it was about the movie and the movie is playing on a TV in the restaurant. If you're looking for the experience then it's worth it, but if you're looking for good food then I would not recommend.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Hampshire
“Pizza OK, More Tourist Trap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Of course being kids of the 80's my husband and I had to try Mystic Pizza when we were recently visiting over April vacation. It's a cute shop that is just covered from head to toe with memorabilia from the movie as well as several TV monitors around the restaurant playing the movie continuously. My husband ordered the onion rings which he loved. We shared a pizza which was not at all what we thought it would be. Seemed more like a greek style pizza. Very greasy. My daughter got pasta but the portion was fairly small. Waitress was not very friendly and did not check on us.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Clifton Park, New York
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Was a bit unsure if it was really worth it prior to going. It did not disappoint. The pizza is amazing, and I don't say that lightly! Wish they were in our area. Not greasy at all and the flavor was perfect! Service was great.

Visited May 2013

Been to Mystic Pizza? Share your experiences!