“Good Food and Great Views in Mystic”
Review of Flood Tide Restaurant - CLOSED

Flood Tide Restaurant
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2007

My family celebrated my husband's 50th birthday at The Flood Tide Restaurant in Mystic, CT in May, 2007. Although the menu favors seafood (of course, it's Mystic, CT) the pork and beef dishes were quite good. Members of the group raved about the crab cake and calamari appetizers and the salmon served over risotto was tasty. Service was good, but not overbearing. We're big water drinkers so it's always nice when the wait staff keeps your glass full, but you don't notice them filling it. I live close to NY and am use to high prices so for me this restaurant was a bargain. Finally, when making reservations make sure to ask for a table with a view of the water!

1  Thank SunnyBunnyBird

Reviewed July 12, 2005

We enjoyed everything about the Floodtide Restaurant: the beautiful view of the harbor, the gracious setting, the hostess (whom, it turns out, came from the same town and even lived on the same road at one time as one of the two of us!), the impeccable service, the food, and last, but certainly not least, the surprisingly low bill for all of this.
I'm coming back next year and bringing my piano music. Hopefully the resident teddy bear (stuffed, sitting on the piano bench) will move over so I can quietly play a bit of Schubert on the Steinway!

2  Thank janebsm
Reviewed May 11, 2005

Pretentious for the sake of being pretentious.

It was as if they went around to a couple of expensive restaurants to see what they have that other restaurants don't. They then bring these ideas to the Flood Tide and use them all. The look and feel of the Flood Tide is very nice as is the service. The live pianist playing softly is a very nice touch. The wine list is extensive and the menu reads like any top notch reastaurants where every noun is preceded by an adjective.

The pretentiousness carriers on with the menu: You can have a total of three plates prepared for you table side, but it will cost you. First the Ceasar Salad which costs $13/person (minimum of 2 people). Then you can follow that up with a Chateaubriand at $38/person (minimum of 2). For dessert you can get Bananas Flood Tide (see Bananas Fosters) for only $13/person (minimum of 2).

We didn't have any of this. Instead we ordered the following:
Flood Tide's Famous Clam Chowder - Good amount of clams and some potato, but the bacon flavor completly overpowered the entire soup. I would have called the soup Baked Potato w/Bacon Soup.
Frisee with Beet and Goat Cheese - It is exactly what the name says: a slice a beet topped with some frisee and some goat cheese. There was nothing that brought these flavors together. One of the worst "salad's" I've ever had.
Pulled Pork and Brisket - Slightly dry, almost no flavor. Not much for a vegatable side as it consisted of undercooked diced sweet potatoes and collarded green (which were too bitter, but still good).
Pan Roasted Cod - I thought the pork had no taste, but that was until I tasted the Cod. Water has more flavor. The vegatable sides had similar color and taste as the cod.

I had high hopes for the Flood Tide. They had everything down, except where it counts -- the food. They fell flat on their face.

11  Thank r_date
Reviewed February 5, 2005

Delicious food and good atmosphere, overlooking the sound. Dessert is worth the trip alone. Every part of the service could wow a Zagat critic. Make sure you order the pricey cesar salad and it will be prepared for you at your table for 10 minutes (like habachi minus the grill) by a personal salad chef. Expect to pay $125+ per couple before tip. Don't be suprised if you feel like your paying too little for the experience; I was.

9  Thank Justnin