“Overpriced, Overrated - what a shame.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Flood Tide Restaurant - CLOSED

Flood Tide Restaurant
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Connecticut
“Overpriced, Overrated - what a shame.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

I used to eat at this restaurant at least 3 or 4 times per year, up until about 5 years ago when they remodeled and started cooking with an open kitchen and a Wood Fire Grill. Before the renovation it was a classic; you could always count on the Flood Tide for a special meal and special treatment. We would always leave there feeling like kings and queens. Then the Wood Fire thing happened; it was no longer the classic restaurant but more of a tourist trap. We stopped going about 3 years ago. Decided to try it again. We made reservations for a Saturday night about a week ago. We were so disappointed. When we arrived the waitstaff was in chaos because a very large party was coming in to celebrate a birthday. The maitre'd (if you want to call her that) had no idea where to seat us and had that "deer in the headlights" look. We finally chose our own table. It was obvious from all the scurrying around that no one had any idea who was going to take our table and we sat there for a good 10 minutes before a waiter finally appeared. He was not personable at all and seemed to be in a hurry throughout the entire evening. I will not go into all the gory details; suffice to say that the food is overpriced (my surf and turf was a small filet with no flavor at all and 2 grilled shrimp that were overdone), the staff is unprofessional (at least they were on this night), and I really detest being charged for refills on soda. Cocktails are $7.00 a pop and $9.00 for a glass of wine so I would think they could refill a soda or two for no charge. Anyway, we are done with Flood Tide for good, unfortunately. It's a shame because we really loved it in the the old days (from mid-80's to early 2000's). Too bad.

4 Thank wilmarocdoc

Hampton,ct
“Overpriced Christmas buffet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

Ok, We have had the 25$ brunch at the floodtide and love it., This buffet was 55$ and the food at the 25 was better,,, I know you pay for the service on Christmas, But have a piano player and vaccum the floor in the morning...

1 Thank saylesernest
Westport, MA
“Worth a Shot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

My experience at the Flood Tide Restaurant was decent. We struck a deal with the Friday night special for two which included 3 courses and a bottle wine for only $50 per couple. I had a french onion soup, followed by beef tenderloin, and a chocolate torte. Bottle of Chardonnay was tossed in as part of the deal. The appearance of the place was elegant and cozy. There was a charming old man playing a paino. We went at night, the fireplace was lit, and I imagine we would have had a nice waterview if it had been lighter out. Our waiter, Ethan, was mediocre- kept running over to tell us that the kitchen had run out of certain things that we had asked for. For the price paid, I believe the visit was worth it. Better than paying $40 bucks for a steak at Foxwoods or Mohegan.

Easton, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Dinner for Two - Friday nights - Great Deal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

My husband and I ate here on a recent trip to Mystic. They were featuring a "Dinner for Two" special which was great. I think they do this every Friday night. It was $50 per couple - you get an appetizer, entree, dessert and bottle of wine. We skipped the wine since neither of us are big wine drinkers. We were still expecting to pay $50, but when the check came, we were pleasantly surprised to see they had deducted $10. The food was very tasty and the service was great! Too bad the sun was already down, so we couldn't enjoy the beautiful views.....

Norwich, Connecticut
“Flood Tide is overpriced for the food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

We had dinner there last night and expected the best. After all, with a 20% tip, dinner for two came to $169.72. Our waitress was 'slammed' and I acknowledged that to her, but the folks running the place should have given her a hand. At times, she was not available and we had to wait to be waited on several times during dinner. The food was okay, but nothing spectacular. And that's pretty much the story for Flood Tide, nothing spectacular and it should have been. For instance, I had the “Point Judith Calamari” and it was okay; the same type plate is served at the Up River Café in Westerly, RI and it is much better. My wife had the “Escargot Encroute” and while it was okay, we’ve had better at Jamm’s in Mystic. I will say though the cake they made for us on the premises was excellent, as it was our 20th wedding anniversary. We chose Flood Tide because Du Village in Chester recently changed hands and we didn't want to chance a bad meal. We should have gone to the “The Altnaveigh Inn & Restaurant” in Storrs; the best food by far in eastern Connecticut.

1 Thank bertmerc