“Romantic Dinner”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

A great place for a romantic dinner. The meal was finely prepared, presented and flavorful. Went for a special occasion and the waitress handled it perfectly. The restaurant is a destination, it was charming, it dates back to when ship captains use to visit the sailing port of Mystic in the 1800's. I read about the ghost that still inhabits the restaurant but must of been on vacation the night we were having dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Best bar in Mystic during the winter. Gets crowded because of the fireplace and ambience. Bar food is very good. Worth waiting for a seat in the bar. I have never eaten upstairs.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

One of my colleagues wanted to try Daniel Packer Inn. He read somewhere that it was buit in the 1800s and was haunted by a ghost. Others had told us it was a very good restaurant. It was definitely a very old structure which did lend it some charm. It was very crowded and we had to wait a while for a table. We later on learned that there is more seating upstairs (where the ghost resides) but we were not afforded the option of dining upstairs when we arrived. I would describe it as more of a pub atmosphere - perhaps it is different upstairs. The menu was somewhere between pub fare and a restaurant fare if that makes any sense. We ate everything we ordered and there were no complaints. Perhaps we just had the wrong expectations, but I would say the food was just OK. We did enjoy the variety of interesting beers available. Would probably go back, if we were in the area and looking for a decent pub.

1  Thank Jim K
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Previous review said she could not get in on Sat. Feb. 2 because there were no seats......I agree we had a reservation and the place was jumping. Place was very crowded....they moved us upstairs to give us some room. Despite crowd, service and food were excellent. Great setting in an old captain's house......pub in basement had a lively bar. Best especially on weekends be sure to make reservations........Only problem when it is too crowded, table are on top of each other and its noisy. Still worth a visit.....will return

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We tried to eat here on Saturday night, but people were pouring in like it was the only place in town. We waited until Sunday afternoon and had a delicious meal. Loved the pub with the stone walls, large fireplace and cozy atmosphere. I had the seafood risotto (shrimp, scallops and lobster) and was so happy with my choice, as was my companion with her lobster roll. I would return in a heartbeat.