“Surprisingly good....”

Ranked #68 of 102 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: American
Description: http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewpage&page_id=E8C2040C-B0D0-D05E-1AB49CFBD65A0519OR KINDLY CHECK MYSTIC SEAPORT WEB SITE. THANKS.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Ate lunch here with family on our most recent visit to the Seaport and was pleasantly surprised. Had the Rueben sandwich and salad and kids had chicken fingers. Only complaint was the fish menu was not available for some reason(It was 4th of July, maybe they sold out). Also tried the local ale which was very good(Cotrell Yankee Clipper). Will eat here again when visiting.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you are looking for a quick bite on a cheaper side and not for a place to sit and relax while eating lunch, then try this place. The service and inside seating are on the fast food place level, not very good, but acceptable. Food was surprisingly good - both clam chowder and fried fish. Fish was flaky and fresh, cooked just fine. Big portions and reasonably priced. Try outside seating if weather allows - it is much nicer then inside, less noisy and a good spot for watching people and surroundings.

1  Thank GreenMR
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I ate there on June 9 when we visited Mystic Seaport. This is one of those places where you place your order, pay for the order, and then pick it up. We paid the bill with a credit card. We noticed that the tables were not clean and the one we chose was sticky. We were able to get napkins and clean off a place. The food wasn't the best but it was edible. Several days later, we went online and checked our credit card statement against our billing receipt. We found out that a $5 tip had been added and we did not authorize it. We never tip at places where we have to walk up to a counter, place our food order, and then go and pick up the food. The so-called Server (no. 226) named on the bill was Kinoa W. My wife tried to contact the museum three times but was unable to talk with anyone in a position of authority. She then sent an email about this problem to administration. Our receipt listed the Latitude Restaurant which is also in Mystic Seaport and my wife called the telephone number on the receipt and advised the manager about this situation. The manager said the $5 would be refunded to the credit card.

Whoever added this $5 tip to our bill is nothing but a thief and should be charged as such and fired. We feel as though this is not the first time that this has happened. If people would check their credit card statements against their receipts, this could be avoided.

4  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to The Mystic Seaport and second time we ate at Galley. I thought it won’t be fair not to write a review so others can benefit from it. Solo experience can be ignored but repeated encounters of the same nature need attention. Here’s what to expect when you enter this place.
SERVICE.
Young school kids you have to deal with at the front of the house. They are inattentive, immature and inexperienced. They have no idea of their job. They’re not really trained to be in direct contact with public. The two kids, a young man and young lady who were taking orders were very nice kids. They were trying their best to do the best, but were not ready for it; not trained enough by the management.
The lady at the “pick up” counter looked mature (age wise) served our food with her face turned to another employee and kept talking to her. I had to say, “excuse me, excuse me” to draw her attention so I could ask her a question. My remark of “inattentive” goes partly to the chef as well as to the whole team (I’ll explain that when I talk about food). Available tables were sticky and oily. We tried to take a clean table unsuccessfully. Food trays in our hands we checked four tables that were all dirty and sticky and the staff stood watching and talking while we cleaned one table for us! So much for the service and attentiveness. ! True it’s not a table service place but to keeping available tables clean is the basic responsibility of restaurant staff. They sit and stand here and there, talking with each other, keep looking straight through you and no one offers a hand.
FOOD.
We ordered, beside other items, New England clam chowder and got potato soup instead. It was 95% potatoes! When I found a clam or two, they were gritty and I had to spit out! Not cleaned or washed before adding to the soup. Grit/sand in food kills the pleasure of any meal; some chefs are too lazy or inattentive to look into such details. Taste was good. Croutons that came with the soup were good. Fried fish (Fish and Chips) was good. It was fresh. They were not generous with the portion though; just a regular portion it was. Nothing special about coleslaw; just usual Greek diner style slaw.
PRICES:-
Quite reasonable for a tourist spot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On both occasions that we visited Mystic, we didn’t try their grilled items.
Overall poor management! They think seasonal jobs don’t require professional attitude, and basically that goes for most restaurants in Mystic and many other tourist spots where business is not year-round. We’ve eaten at quite a few restaurants in Mystic and had same problems.
TIP: Go in with the idea of buying food at a food cart, not a restaurant and you’ll be okay. Soda refills are free, if you’re a soda drinker. Try fried fish.

2  Thank MirrorMalik

Been to The Galley Restaurant? Share your experiences!