“"Amateur staff, inattentive service, okay food."”

Ranked #65 of 99 Restaurants in Mystic
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.mysticseaport.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewpage&page_id=E8C2040C-B0D0-D05E-1AB49CFBD65A0519OR KINDLY CHECK MYSTIC SEAPORT WEB SITE. THANKS.
New York
“"Amateur staff, inattentive service, okay food."”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to The Mystic Seaport and second time we ate at Galley. I thought it won’t be fair not to write a review so others can benefit from it. Solo experience can be ignored but repeated encounters of the same nature need attention. Here’s what to expect when you enter this place.
SERVICE.
Young school kids you have to deal with at the front of the house. They are inattentive, immature and inexperienced. They have no idea of their job. They’re not really trained to be in direct contact with public. The two kids, a young man and young lady who were taking orders were very nice kids. They were trying their best to do the best, but were not ready for it; not trained enough by the management.
The lady at the “pick up” counter looked mature (age wise) served our food with her face turned to another employee and kept talking to her. I had to say, “excuse me, excuse me” to draw her attention so I could ask her a question. My remark of “inattentive” goes partly to the chef as well as to the whole team (I’ll explain that when I talk about food). Available tables were sticky and oily. We tried to take a clean table unsuccessfully. Food trays in our hands we checked four tables that were all dirty and sticky and the staff stood watching and talking while we cleaned one table for us! So much for the service and attentiveness. ! True it’s not a table service place but to keeping available tables clean is the basic responsibility of restaurant staff. They sit and stand here and there, talking with each other, keep looking straight through you and no one offers a hand.
FOOD.
We ordered, beside other items, New England clam chowder and got potato soup instead. It was 95% potatoes! When I found a clam or two, they were gritty and I had to spit out! Not cleaned or washed before adding to the soup. Grit/sand in food kills the pleasure of any meal; some chefs are too lazy or inattentive to look into such details. Taste was good. Croutons that came with the soup were good. Fried fish (Fish and Chips) was good. It was fresh. They were not generous with the portion though; just a regular portion it was. Nothing special about coleslaw; just usual Greek diner style slaw.
PRICES:-
Quite reasonable for a tourist spot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On both occasions that we visited Mystic, we didn’t try their grilled items.
Overall poor management! They think seasonal jobs don’t require professional attitude, and basically that goes for most restaurants in Mystic and many other tourist spots where business is not year-round. We’ve eaten at quite a few restaurants in Mystic and had same problems.
TIP: Go in with the idea of buying food at a food cart, not a restaurant and you’ll be okay. Soda refills are free, if you’re a soda drinker. Try fried fish.

• Visited April 2012