“The Mansion and Gardens are Beautiful !!!”
Review of House of 1833

House of 1833
Ranked #4 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Robert & Evan are wonderful hosts. They were accomodating to our every need and so friendly. I wish more B & B hosts were like them.

Our room was so comfortable and inviting. The antiques in the mansion are beautiful and in excellent condition. The gardens are gorgeous! I had a glass of wine one evening out at the pool and enjoyed the quiet peacefull backyard. I love how you are in a nice safe neighborhood with a three minute drive to the aquarium, shopping, etc....

The food that they serve is delicious. If you have a special request, they will do it and it will be so superb its beyond words.

I will definately stay here again!!! I can't wait to see Robert & Evan!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank teatimekids

Reviewed September 4, 2006

This B&B was awful. It probably was nice back in 1833 but now it is run down, dirty and I wouln't let my dog sleep there.

The pictures on their website had to be from at least 15 years ago, the place looks like it is falling apart.

Starting with the outside. There in no lawn it is dirt and weeds. There are pile of brick and crap all around the house. The house needs a paint job. The inside is overstuffed with antique furnature there is no room to walk. It is dark and glooomy , no light gets in from the outside.

I could go on but I think you get my point.

• Stayed: August 2006
10  Thank bnbreview
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I don't know wherer to begin with my compliments of this BnB. My fiancee had spent a few weeks in Westerly RI, and I went up on the weekends to visit, so I stayed in a few places around the area. He was finally done this past Thursday and I met him on Friday and we decided to make a nano-vacation out of it and stayed at the House of 1833. Robert & Evan the Inn Keepers are fantastic, so nice, accomodating, knowledgable about the area, and just all around good people. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms, well the whole house is beautifully appointed. We liked it so much taht we're going back in 6 weeks for my birthday. Can't WAIT!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Operasinger95
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Expensive, but well worth it. The hosts Evan and Robert were so accommodating and friendly. Very generous: Was treated like a friend. Superb service. Delicious breakfast. Accommodations more than we expected. Stayed in Captain Spicer mansion two blocks from Main Street - one bedroom, three rooms with kitchen. Parlor room alone was approx. 40 ft x 24 ft. with 15 ft high ceilings. Antiques abound. So quiet and peaceful. Took short drive down tranquil River Road along river's edge to House of 1833 mansion. Relaxing short ride between mansions with beautiful view along the way. Would defiinitely stay again and highly recommend it. It's worth the price.

3  Thank Pleasuretraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed May 23, 2006

My boyfriend and I were looking for a one-night getaway and I found this great B&B online. Even though we were hoping to arrive around 6 pm, our actual arrival was closer to 9 pm and Robert and Evan were happily waiting for us in the kitchen. Our room was GORGEOUS and so relaxing. Complimentary chocolates, cookies, and drinks were waiting for us upon arrival and our jacuzzi tub and fireplace (real, not gas!) added to the romantic setting. We stayed in the Cupola room, which includes your very own private staircase up to the cupola of the house where you can enjoy your own rocking chairs and top-of-the-world view of the property. Look in the photos I've attached and you'll see the window-lined cupola on top of the roof. That's private, just for the guests of that room. The sweetest part was in the morning at breakfast time. Being a vegetarian I had requested pancakes, and not only did they serve us pancakes on a day when they usually don't make them but they were strawberry and pineapple pancakes made fresh to order! Overall it was our favorite B&B experience and we have stayed in many, especially across Connecticut. We didn't want to leave. The hardest part was saying goodbye to Robert, Evan, and two of the sweetest dogs and cats we've ever met. I hope that they know how thankful we are for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 31, 2006

It is difficult to know where to begin. The House of 1833 was truly awesome, even in the midst of winter! The house is a huge Greek Revival Mansion. Evan and Robert must have been collecting furniture and knick-knacks for years as they furnished it in less than a month. It won't be to everyone's taste but is is so completely over the top that it is wonderful to behold.

Our bed was very comfortable and the bath was the best I had during our whole holiday. I was sad that we had only decided to stay one night.

Robert was so thoughtful and made us scones--we are from Scotland--for breakfast and considering it was only his second attempt they were very good as was the rest of the meal. Their restaurant recommendation for dinner was excellent and we really enjoyed our meal.

However, the best part, for me was their dog Spuds. I would not hesitate a heartbeat to recommend this place to anyone. Go and enjoy!

5  Thank Charmingbubble2
A TripAdvisor Member
Eastern Long Island, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We have stayed here twice so far (November 2005 and March 2006). The innkeepers, Robert and Evan, are just fabulous!.....Smart, funny, polite, and true gentlemen. I have a terrible time with directions and they are extremely gracious about my shortcomings (maybe next time I won't get lost!). The breakfasts are yummy and huge and made while you wait. It is also enjoyable chatting with them in the kitchen. If you sleep a bit late (like I do), breakfast will still be made. I'd tell you the room we stayed in, but....they are all fabulous so I'll keep mine a secret!

• Stayed: March 2006