House of 1833
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Mystic)
View Hotel
All reviewsveranda roompeach roompancakescream sherrysticky bunsinn keepersgourmet breakfastentire houseoriginal ownerromance packageother guestsnew englandjacuzzi tubmystic areaevanantiquesoak
Reviewed September 13, 2008

For our first trip to the Mystic area, we selected the House of 1833 as a base. We were pleased with the choice, since it was less than a 10 minute drive to the Seaport Museum.
Evan is a great host, very accomodating and friendly but allowing you your own space. He served creative and very tasty breakfasts.
As anyone who has experience with the upkeep of an old house can attest, it requires endless work. It appears that Evan is up to the task. He has updated the Veranda room with a new jacuzzi in-room tub, flat screen TV, and fresh bath fixtures. The small, narrow private porch overlooking the garden and pool was a great place to relax. The shifting of the house through the decades had made the porch floor slant quite a bit, but it all appeared safe and sturdy.
Be forewarned, however, that the house could serve well as an antique emporium. There are layers and layers of antiques everywhere... all quite interesting but making the decor very, very busy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rjmartintx
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We Stayed in the inn for 2 nights for a weekend away in Mystic. First night we stayed in the Oak room and loved the Juzzuci in the bedroom by the fireplace. The only problem was the private bathroom was accross the hall, which we did not like. So the second night we up-graded to the Cupola suite. What a great room and very romantic.
There was sherry in the rooms and in the family room which was a nice treat on a brisk spring night. Many many clocks (which we did try to count) and paintings,.. every room was a museum.
The Inn owners, Evan and Robert, were great people. They left us to do our own thing but were more than willing to offer suggestions apon request.
The only disapointing comment was that the main enterance to the house was closed due to renovations of the front of the building. This made no difference after the initial impression as we parked at the back and entrance to the rooms was at the back of the house. I think that the plan was to have all the cosmetic work completed by Memorial weekend. And we cant fault any B&B for doing home improvements.
Overall our experience of the Inn was great, and I would recommend this B&B to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RosNewYork
Reviewed April 8, 2008

EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION:

I need to start by telling you that this is going to be a true & accurate account of our experience at the House of 1833. A review from a person who was sent there to actually review the inn.

I started the morning by calling the inn and asking if I could make a reservation for that very day. I spoke with Evan...one of the nicest people I have ever met. I explained I had two children with me and needed to stay somewhere for the night. He was funny, charming and took great care of me over the phone. We booked the "Oak" & "Ivy" rooms. Next door to each other.

We arrived at the Inn. Because winter has just ended, the yard was a little winter worn (as a regular reviewer had stated) but I want to explain why that just did not matter. Being from New England, we know all about the "winter thaw"...that in between time before things green up. They are also working on the INN...having it only for about 3 years (going on 4). So, yes...the yard could use a little work after the blast of winter....but you will still be delighted.

Our family pulled up and were greeted warmly by the housekeeper. So friendly and sweet...just want to adopt her! She showed us around, gave us information on the town & inn. We settled in and then took off to see the town. Returning about 9 p.m.

Our wonderful hosts Evan & Robert were there to greet us. Having made cookies for our family. Plus balloons for the kids....which they loved. We had a wonderful chat with the friendliest hosts ever.

Our room was a beautiful room, filled with antiques, wood burning fireplace & jacuzzi. Port wine, chocolates in front of the fire. It was cozy and a beautiful place to be. The kids loved their own room and bathroom, again filled with antiques. Everything was perfect. I can not explain enough how roomy & beautiful the rooms really are.

I started the next morning with delicious coffee next to a roaring fire. I soaked in the slip tub amongst the antiques, in my own private bathroom. Plush towels, special soaps & bath soak....ahhh, what a pleasure.

Breakfast was terrific. Our wonderful host Robert made us New England Bread Pudding, Breakfast Pizza, Fresh Fruit, Juice, Coffee and other goodies. It was terrific. We learned about our hosts, the inn and even a wodnerful scenic pway to get home. We enjoyed our time there and will never forget it.

The parlors are gorgeous, with loads of antiques! The dining room is well equiped to house many hungry travelers. The hosts are a dream come true. It was hard saying goodbye to them and their lovely dogs.

We will be back this summer to enjoy the outdoor pool and extensive wooded yard.. There are lots of things to do in Mystic. Go here before any other place! You will not be disappointed. You will be delighted and charmed! We are and YES, we are going back!!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank amyerodri100
Reviewed February 10, 2008

this place was just great. The rooms are all different which adds to the charm of the place in my opinion. We kept sneaking around to see all the other types of rooms. Our room had an inroom jacuzzi and fireplace. The two owners were great and exactly why you go to a B&B in the first place. The breakfast, although not particularly what I like to eat (eggs/ bacon) was still fantastic. One of the owners cooks and he was just great (And I am a very picky eater!) The added bonus was that they offer a "romantic package" for couples for a small added price they bring flowers, drinks and light the place with candles ...really exceptional for your significant other. It was especially appreciated here b/c I brought my wife back a little early and they had it all ready to go when i brought her back from dinner. They are well aware of all the best places to eat and things to do in the area and well incredibly helpful. I can't say enough good things about the place it is exactly why I love B&B's and not hotels.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hansolo67
Reviewed January 7, 2008

We just returned from a weekend getaway at the House of 1833. It was amazing. I had never been to a B&B before due to my slight obsession with cleanliness-- however this place was immaculate. The rooms were so cozy and beautifully decorated. Every corner was spotless and the decorations were quirky and entertaining. The breakfast was delicious and the owners, as well as other guests, made this trip feel like we were visiting family. I would highly reccommend going here during the winter months as well. You avoid all crowds at area attractions, but still get to spend the weekend in a cute ocean-side town with so much to do. It was wonderful and we are definitely going back. We intend to try every room atleast once!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple