“"Night at the Museum" without the monsters”
Review of House of 1833

House of 1833
Ranked #3 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“"Night at the Museum" without the monsters”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a B&B with a lot of character and charm. It has interesting history inside and out. My stay in the Ivy room was very comfortable. The hosts were so friendly and knew so much about the area. Breakfast was super and they had no problem taking care of my food allergies. My next trip i will have to make sure my schedule allows for sitting and sipping sherry by the fireplace in my room.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Meg R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pittsburg, California, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This is a grand old house, lovingly cared for and shared by proprietors Evan & Robert. After a grand tour, we were escorted to the Veranda room, which was everything promised. The gourmet breakfast was wonderful; an experience in its own right. If you love history, generosity and opulence, this is your place in Mystic.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our entire House of 1833 experience was 5-star. I can't say enough good things, but I'll try...

We'd been to Mystic before, but had never stayed at House of 1833. After reading all of the wonderful reviews, I decided we'd give it a try for our anniversary weekend getaway.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Evan - and 3 excited pups! They were not at all threatening at all, but noisy for just a minute or so. Evan gave us a tour of the house, and introduced us to Robert. We felt SO welcomed and "at home" right away. He explained the history of the house, pointed out some pieces, and made sure to tell us to make ourselves comfortable -- it only *looks* like a museum.

I won't bother to try to describe the house... words can't really do it justice (which is why I took so many pictures). I walked around with my eyes wide and mouth agape -- so much to look at! It was beautiful and fascinating!

Soon, we were led to our room (The Oak Room), and given our keys. The Oak Room has a queen bed, double jacuzzi, sofa, gorgeous, giant armoire, settee, and fireplace, as well as a flat-screen TV with cable & DVD player, and a radio/CD player. The fireplace and jacuzzi were wonderful, and we used both each night. Very romantic!

Our incredibly gracious hosts had hung a 'Happy Anniversary' sign on our fireplace, and put a cute scrumptious little cake with a candle in it, as well as wonderfully-scented fresh flowers, on the side table next to the sofa. Little touches like that make guests feel GREAT, and Evan and Robert clearly know that making your guests feel great makes your guests return!

The private bathroom is directly across the hall, and uses the same key that opens the room. I was mildly concerned that this might be annoying, but it really wasn't at all. It was probably 5 feet away from the room. It has a shower stall, and separate bathtub (which was tremendous!). Had we been staying longer, I definitely would've had a nice soak in that huge tub!

All linens, as well as some toiletries were provided (soap, lotion, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, etc). Wine glasses, champagne glasses and ice buckets, corkscrews - pretty much anything you would want or need was available.

We spent some time in the parlor - playing Scrabble and Chess, and drinking some sherry, during the early evening each day. It was so relaxing. The chess table is probably the most beautiful I'd ever seen. It made my defeat much more palatable ;) Sherry and delicious homemade cookies were always available in the parlor (and there was sherry in our room, as well).

Breakfast. Ohhhhh my. Evan let us know that breakfast was between 8:30 and 9:30, but that we could get to the dining room at 9:30 and it would be fine. As someone who generally sleeps in, I appreciated that very much! We managed to get to breakfast earlier than 9:30, in our pajamas. It was just that comfortable of a place. I didn't feel like we needed to get ready for the day before joining the other guests in the dining room.

On Saturday morning, we had super-tasty croissant French toast with fresh whipped cream and strawberries. There was also a choice of meats, sour cream cinnamon breakfast cake, fruit, and coffee. Sunday morning was pancakes! Four varieties were offered, and choice of meats again, fruit, and what I believe was banana bread pudding (whatever it was, it was yummy). I can say without question that these were some of the best pancakes I've every tasted. Absolutely delicious! Evan offered another round of pancakes, but we were stuffed!

Any time we had questions, Evan and Robert were there to offer their opinions or give us directions -- whatever we needed. Their hospitality was above and beyond anything I'd experienced or expected. We also adored their dog Trixie -- such an affectionate girl (but she's very camera-shy, so if you want a pic, you'll have to be sneaky haha)!

If you want sleek lines or modern design, stay in a chain hotel. You won't get that here. But you will get a feast for the eyes, mind, and soul in one of the most welcoming environments we've ever visited.

We loved it! We are already looking forward to returning during warm weather, to see the gardens in bloom and use the pool. Can't wait to see our fantastic hosts again, and try one of the other rooms!

1 Thank glms27
Westfield, MA
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed there for the first time in February. One of, if not the best B&B we've ever stayed at. Great personalized gourmet breakfast. Wonderful hosts. Historical home and area. Plenty of good restaurants to chose from. Hope we can come back again.

Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Every year around this time my wife and I try to get away for a weekend. Our wedding anniversary is on 2/25 and this year we decided to travel a little further than usual and head to Mystic, CT. It's a great place to visit and the House if 1833 was perfect. I had read the reviews here and if you are a "neat freak" or don't like clutter than this is probably not the place for you. But if you love history and antiques this is the place. We had the largest room - the Veranda room! The king size bed was fantastic as was the oversized jacuzzi. Evan and Robert were great and took care of we very detail. Know it was our anniversary they had a nice little cake and sparkling apple juice (we are not drinkers) waiting for us upon arrival. We purchased the romance package that included a delicious dinner at the Capt. Daniel Pack Inn and while we were at dinner Evan strung up the lights, lit a fire and had flowers and strawberries with chocolate along with sparkling grape juice set out for us in our room upon our return. We had 3 fantastic breakfasts as well. We are already trying to figure out when we can get back. It was a great place to relax but Mystic was a little chilly so a spring or summer visit would probably allow us to do more.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ken J
Westfield, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Evan and Robert manage a first-rate B&B, with a passion for hospitality that is a credit to the industry. House of 1833 may not be to everyone's taste, but we loved it. The mansion itself is large and every wall is filled with artwork and every surface covered with treasure. It is like stepping into an antique store, but much better as almost every piece has a story attached to it, passionately told either by Evan (front of house) or Robert (chef extraordinaire). The room we stayed in was huge and the bed very comfortable, the real fire a treat and the somewhat unusual placement of a jacuzzi in our bedroom irresistible. The location is perfect with plenty of acreage and a full-sized swimming pool and tennis court that must make House of 1833 an even more enjoyable place to stay in the summer. Lastly, aside from the charming, witty and talented hosts, it would be remiss not to mention the breakfasts, which were extraordinary. I will never look at a bread pudding or apple crisp the same way again...or the cajun sausage and delicious pancakes made from local produce (much of it grown in the grounds). You'd have to be very straight-laced or lacking in an appreciation for the better things in life if you didn't enjoy your stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Veranda; highly recommended. I'm sure the others are great too.
1 Thank Westfield_Wanderer
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here for a birthday on a whim. We are usually strictly high-rise hotel people, but we were curious about the B&B mystique. So we checked out B&B's that had jacuzzi options and found House of 1833. Booking the trip was super easy through the phone number, and we got all the information we needed to decide that this place would be perfect. We went on a snowy day, and our room was ready when we arrived. Evan and Robert were extremely friendly and helpful. They booked our dinner for that night - we got an amazing view because of them and it was some of the most amazing seafood I've ever had.

We had told them we were celebrating a birthday, and there was homemade cheesecake and a banner in our room. Sherry was waiting for us, and there was always fresh log for the fireplace (!) in the room, one of our very favorite parts. There were also always cookies downstairs, as well as sherry. We had brought our own alcohol, so we used their glasses. We even, horribly, broke one of their sherry glasses, and Evan was very kind and didn't charge us a thing.

Room was cleaned by their staff every day. Breakfast - OMG - amazing!!! Coffee was unbelievable, we got a choice of a menu every day, and always left full and satisfied. Honestly, after day 1, we really didn't want to leave, and ended up getting take-out for dinner and just spending every moment we could in our room.

Overall, this was an amazing experience and I'd go back to this place tonight if I could!!! Yes, it's not a high-rise, typical room, and it's decorated with antiques as opposed to cheesy photos, but it's so worth it if you just want to get away, get some gambling in, and completely feel comfortable and relaxed.

Room Tip: Our room had a fireplace, jacuzzi, and special breakfast nook - we loved it! Definitely request a fi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple