“I wish we'd stayed longer.”

Howard Johnson Inn Mystic
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Having stayed at another HOJOs 12years ago with my daughter iknew we would get
good value for our money.Mystic is a beautiful spot and interesting historically.
Getting back to our accomodation,we couldnt fault it and our stay was all the more enjoyable due to the helpful staff.Special thanks go to Alex who will be an hotel
manager one day,if he wants.Many thanks from Pam&Rex.NZ.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

Thanks so much for your great review, customer service is the most important part of our job and to see that Alex was able to make your stay memorable .
We strive to make every stay your best stay
and hope that if you are in the Mystic area again you will stop by
Terry Connors

Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed November 15, 2010

I hate making hotel reservations as the outcome is always so different from what you've expected. We live in Southern California and I had no clue what to expect 3,000 miles away. In this case, the Mystic HoJo was a great experience. Clean room, especially nice staff and no nasty surprises. We were very pleased with the accommodations and the service. The ONLY drawback was that the HoJo is situated quite close to the I-95, and for anyone who is not used to hearing traffic noise, it took a little getting used to. But because the beds were comfy and the room cozy, the noise from the freeway wasn't that tough to put up with. I would recommend this HoJ any day!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Thanks Very Much
It is great to see that you had a great visit in Mystic at our Howard Johnson, you are right it is nice to have no surprises. Here at the Mystic Howard Johnson we always want your stay to be your best stay, I am glad to see it was.
Please remember us on your next visit to the East Coast
Terry Connors

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Wanted to see the show at Mohegan Sun Casino (10/16/10), but did not want to stay at the Casino/Hotel. Had stayed at Howard Johnson 10 years ago and liked the location. They upgraded the area as well as the hotel. Front desk service was excellent. When we checked in on 10/15/10, the attendant (did not get her name) noticed an error with our reservation and quickly rectified the problem. Room was clean and comfortable. This hotel is located near restaurants and across from the Old Mystic Village. Easy access to I-95. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

hi there
thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay, it makes us very happy to hear from you and to have you tell others about your stay.
I am glad the front desk was able to make sure your check in was accurate and we were able to get you right in your room
looking forward to your next visit

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I've been to Mystic on day trips several times, but never stayed overnight. The HoJos was a nice hotel and a great location, convenient to lots of activities, shops and restaurants. The hotel could use some cosmetic upgrades, but our room was clean and suited us fine. My pre-schooler especially enjoyed the indoor heated pool, which was a good size, clean, and not over-crowded. We saw the staff cleaning it daily. The front desk staff was helpful with recommendations of restaurants and driving directions.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Thanks, so glad you liked us. Every survey we find out more and more what we can do to improve the property and to improve our service
we are working daily to update the rooms and to show our guest a great stay
please join us again soon
Really glad you decided to stay the night

Reviewed September 3, 2010

First the review, then the story. The guy at the desk was friendly and helpful. I had bought a 'Sea Everything Mystic Pass' which got me a 15% discount on the room. (I only learned of the discount after I booked the hotel; it wasn't the reason I chose that hotel.) The room was adequate with fridge and microwave. I took a look behind one of the night tables and it was obvious they hadn't vacuumed there recently. In the morning they must have used the shower in the room above; we had a slow but steady drip coming into the room. We put a wastebasket underneath to catch the water.
The story is - we were staying in the Hilton up the road. We wanted to extend our reservation one more night but we couldn't get a room at a similar price. So we went to Howard Johnson's. The original price I paid at the Hilton was only slightly more than the pre-discounted price at Howard Johnson. However, the difference was day-and-night! Had I not experienced the Hilton, I might not have minded Hojo's so much. It wasn't that bad but I would not go back there again. I'd take my chances elsewhere (or certainly go back to the Hilton if the price was right).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010

thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit with us, I do apologize that you had some problems with the room and do hope that housekeeping as well as maintenance was able to take care of that immediately
we are happy that we were able to give you the mystic see everything discount and hope you did enjoy the attractions.
I agree we are a different hotel than the Hilton but hope you would give us another chance to show you
Your next stay will be your best Stay

Reviewed September 3, 2010

My family and I had a nice stay at this HOJO. We spent plenty of time at the pool, it was clean for the most part but felt grimy in certain areas underwater. The pool area was kept clean & well stocked with towels. The lobby was nice and staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room had a very dark feel even with the curtain open and all the lights on. It was larger than I would have expected with high ceilings, it had a table, desk, dresser, 2 Beds, Microwave & Fridge and yet did not feel cramped at all. The bathroom needed to be updated and was not as a clean as the rest of the room. The balcony was nice and large, and the grounds around the hotel were well maintained. I only have one major complaint, the BEDS.. we had a room with 2 queen size, and I don't think any of us got a decent nights sleep our entire stay. The beds & pillows were SOOOOOO uncomfortable it put a damper on our stay.

The location just COULD NOT be beat. Equinox diner right next to the hotel was nice, there was a friendly's across the parking lot. Across the road was a dunkin donuts, gas station, mystic village (adorable shopping area). The aquarium and seaport were also close enough to walk to (though I would not advise it with small children). Overall it was a great value, but would not stay there again unless I found out they got new mattresses.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

thanks for taking the time to give us your review everytime a guest visits us we hope they have a great time, and when we get the chance to hear the feedback it helps us to make sure your next stay is your best stay. I do apologize the beds were not to your liking, we are in the process of updating our bedding and have one more wing to go, I am sorry this was the wing that you stayed in. we work hard to show all of our guests a clean and comfortable room and hope that you will stay with us in the future and find the new bedding in these rooms to be exactly what you were looking for
thanks again

Reviewed August 24, 2010

This hotel is next door to Friendly's restaurant. The hotel has the only diner in Mystic. It is a very good diner also. The rooms were comfortable, enough room. There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the rooms, which is very helpful. The indoor pool was my only complaint. The pool area is nice, the chemicals in the pool were very strong at the time. The staff is helpful, just ask them anything about the area and they are more than happy to advise. Mystic is very family friendly, we stayed a week and it was a great time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank nacechik
terconn, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Mystic, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Hello and thanks for the kind words
it was great having you visit us this summer, we so enjoy when our guests have a pleasant experience and so enjoy when they tell all their friends
we are constantly upgrading and this fall will be closing the pool for a week at the end of Oct 24-31 to repaint freshen the water and work on the equipement so your next stay is your best stay
thanks again