“Great Grilled Cheese and Cold, Hard (Old?) Cupcakes!”

Bleu Squid Breakfast and Bakery Cafe
Ranked #3 of 10 Dessert in Mystic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The grilled cheese sandwiches are very gooey and good, with high quality ingredients. When I bit into my cupcake, though, it was cold and hard. The flavor of the frosting was decent, but it came off in hard chunks and the cake was dry and crumby. Had I still been in the store, I would have mentioned this to the ladies working there, but we had left the store. Lesson learned: Make sure you get a FRESH, room temperature cupcake!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

sandwiches are great! mac and cheese was good but average. their cupcakes have been sooo amazing each time i've been here. they have unique flavors and their cupcakes are always moist!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Great spot to grab a bite to eat - they are incredible, especially the lobster grill cheese. They also have other eclectic eats and snacks to satisfy your needs while shopping in the Mystic Village. I have recommended to others to try lunch here, and they too have liked it. Classic, simple sandwiches on great home made bread.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

As a local and frequent patron of the Bleu Squid, I felt compelled to finally post a review! The Bleu Squid has the best grilled cheese hands down! The lobster grilled cheese is my absolute favorite. Yes - the restaurant itself is small - so we go at 11:30 or grab it to go. There are plenty of places to sit in the Village. And yes, summer hours end on Labor Day. Many local establishments can't afford to staff long hours when there aren't any customers. If you are planning to visit outside of of lunch in the fall or winter - it definitely makes sense to call first!!! This is the case with many of the smaller Mystic establishments. It's part of the small town charm :)

1  Thank jakrynic
Reviewed September 18, 2011

...so, I set this up with a friend - going to get together on Friday afternoon, meet in downtown New Haven, take a back route to beat the traffic jams to 95 north, and get to Mystic long before the 8PM closing time to enjoy this much-vaunted grilled cheese and a cupcake or two. Having seen them in Connecticut magazine's annual BEST OF issue and then checking it on Trip A., it seemed a very worthy trip. I checked the website twice to make sure it would be open. I noticed it said "These are summer hours" in small print on the bottom, but hey, these guys are playing in the big leagues now, so I'm sure summer hours don't start until Columbus Day - otherwise they would list the current hours.

So we get there slightly after 6 PM and voila, closed. You could say I should have made the long-distance call, but I trusted the web site. Would it kill them to say that summer hours only go, to, say, Labor day? If you are going to hang that big plastic banner outside that announces you as one of Connecticut Magazine's BEST OF winners, you are going to attract people who are really, really going to resent it when they fill up the gas tank and haul it out to Mystic for nothing. I would have liked that information, because I can tell you that now I am never going to bother with this place again, no matter how good the grub is. My advice to you is, if it isn't high tourist season and mid-day, don't go without calling first. Experience has taught me that anyplace that takes it hours somewhat lightly, as Bleu squid seems to, can't always be trusted to be open. and as Mystic Village itself seems to close up shop early I wouldn't be surprised if the winter hours are incredibly slim. But as I said, would it kill 'em to post them?

1  Thank sullific