“Great spot for lunch”

Bleu Squid Breakfast and Bakery Cafe
Ranked #3 of 10 Dessert in Mystic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Great spot to grab a bite to eat - they are incredible, especially the lobster grill cheese. They also have other eclectic eats and snacks to satisfy your needs while shopping in the Mystic Village. I have recommended to others to try lunch here, and they too have liked it. Classic, simple sandwiches on great home made bread.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

As a local and frequent patron of the Bleu Squid, I felt compelled to finally post a review! The Bleu Squid has the best grilled cheese hands down! The lobster grilled cheese is my absolute favorite. Yes - the restaurant itself is small - so we go at 11:30 or grab it to go. There are plenty of places to sit in the Village. And yes, summer hours end on Labor Day. Many local establishments can't afford to staff long hours when there aren't any customers. If you are planning to visit outside of of lunch in the fall or winter - it definitely makes sense to call first!!! This is the case with many of the smaller Mystic establishments. It's part of the small town charm :)

1  Thank jakrynic
Reviewed September 18, 2011

...so, I set this up with a friend - going to get together on Friday afternoon, meet in downtown New Haven, take a back route to beat the traffic jams to 95 north, and get to Mystic long before the 8PM closing time to enjoy this much-vaunted grilled cheese and a cupcake or two. Having seen them in Connecticut magazine's annual BEST OF issue and then checking it on Trip A., it seemed a very worthy trip. I checked the website twice to make sure it would be open. I noticed it said "These are summer hours" in small print on the bottom, but hey, these guys are playing in the big leagues now, so I'm sure summer hours don't start until Columbus Day - otherwise they would list the current hours.

So we get there slightly after 6 PM and voila, closed. You could say I should have made the long-distance call, but I trusted the web site. Would it kill them to say that summer hours only go, to, say, Labor day? If you are going to hang that big plastic banner outside that announces you as one of Connecticut Magazine's BEST OF winners, you are going to attract people who are really, really going to resent it when they fill up the gas tank and haul it out to Mystic for nothing. I would have liked that information, because I can tell you that now I am never going to bother with this place again, no matter how good the grub is. My advice to you is, if it isn't high tourist season and mid-day, don't go without calling first. Experience has taught me that anyplace that takes it hours somewhat lightly, as Bleu squid seems to, can't always be trusted to be open. and as Mystic Village itself seems to close up shop early I wouldn't be surprised if the winter hours are incredibly slim. But as I said, would it kill 'em to post them?

1  Thank sullific
Reviewed September 12, 2011

After trying to chase down a famous Grilled Cheese Food truck in Boston during our recent stay, with no luck, my husband found reviews for the Bleu Squid Cheese Shop and Bakery boasting a fabulous grilled cheese sandwich. Of course we had to try it and it did not dissapoint. The shop is small but so quaint and welcoming. We had the grown up grilled cheese the first day and thanks to a flight cancellation the second day (when do you ever say that?), we were able to enjoy a second experience with the blue cheese version. Neither could have been better and we haven't stopped talking about them since. Who knew one could get such joy from grilled cheese!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

we each had the grilled cheese with lobster.portions were so huge that we were only able to eat half of each sandwhich.

with 2 cokes,our bill came to $25

they also have lots of interesting desserts.

food quality was among the best in the area. i highly recommend bleu squid.