“One of the best cupcakes I've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bleu Squid

Bleu Squid
Ranked #1 of 7 Bakeries in Mystic
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Staten Island, New York
“One of the best cupcakes I've ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I recently visited this restaurant with my husband while visiting Mystic. I am a cupcake fanatic and love to visit different bakeries to check out their cupcakes. The Vanilla Cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream at the Bleu Squid was FANTASTIC!! We also tried their chocolate and coconut which were equally delicious. We loved this place so much we went twice during our visit.

Clifton Park, New York
“Good, But I Was Just Expecting A Little More”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I am a huge fan of tripadvisor and always use it to plan my must-do's ahead of time before going anywhere, so while planning my trip to Mystic Aquarium and Olde Mystic Village, I found reviews for this place and just had to stop. We were taking our daughter on a day trip to celebrate her birthday and our plans included the Aquarium and shopping in the Village prior to heading out to the West Farms Mall for a celebratory birthday dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. Since we were planning this dinner, the Bleu Squid seemed to be just what we were looking for...a quick, casual and light lunch to hold us over for dinner and I just had to try this gourmet grilled cheese people were raving about on this site. I have to say I left slightly disappointed as I was expecting more after the reviews I had read. The place is very small, as other reviewers have mentioned and seating is very limited inside. However, we arrived really early and it was pouring rain outside, so the place was empty and we were able to sit inside. There are a total of six (very stained) counter stools in there divided among a small pub style table and a wall-mounted counter. The menu is very limited and my husband didn't want anything on it so my daughter and I ordered a grown-up grilled cheese on sourdough bread and macaroni and cheese to share. The grilled cheese was good, but could have been better. The cheese itself was quite tasty, and abundant in the center of the sandwich, but was missing from a lot of the outside edges of the large slices of sourdough, so most of the outside of the sandwich was just plain grilled crust. Also, the bread itself left me wanting a little more. While it's not the healthiest option, I prefer the bread on my grilled cheese sandwich to have a more buttery taste and this bread simply did not have the buttery taste I was looking for. It was very plain to me, but that's just my personal preference. The macaroni and cheese was very good and you get a good-sized plate of it. Our total was $14 including a bottle of water and a milk and we left with full bellies. Overall, this place was good, just not as great as my expectations and I would go back, but it wouldn't be a place I would make it a point to stop at if I'm in Mystic again.

New Milford, Connecticut
“Awesome Gourmet Comfort Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

My fiancee and I went into the Bleu Squid just to take a peek inside while walking through Olde Mystic Village. When we saw their selection of cheeses and saw the menu; we knew we had to order. I had the The Original Grown-up Grilled Cheese
(a mix of Havarti, Fontina, extra sharp Cheddar & Muenster cheeses) and my fiancee had the Roasted Artichoke hearts, fresh tomato, basil pesto & fresh mozzarella cheese on sour dough bread. We enjoyed our lunch very much. It wasn't a heavy meal but satisfying and delicious. The best gourmet grill cheese sandwiches we ever had!

Gainesville, Florida
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Bacon & bleu grilled cheese is awesome. Prices aren't crazy.

Collinsville, Connecticut
“We keep going back... it is THAT good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

We have eaten here many times, and it is ALWAYS good. You may be thinking, "yeah, grilled cheese, so what?" ... ok... once you eat any of their wonderful combinations, or even just a "grown-up grilled cheese" (Havarti, Fontina, extra sharp Cheddar & Muenster )... unbelievably good. The bacon & blue is my favorite (on sourdough with carmelized onions and tomato).

The cupcakes are wonderful, and they have creative flavors that one would swoon for. And for those who just need the sugar fix... try a "frosting shot" of a little paper 'cup' filled with just the right amount of frosting.

Their cheese counter is above and beyond. The selection, and descriptions are great. I loved tasting a few different blues, and then selecting a good slice of one to take with me.

This restaurant is best on a nice day when you can sit outside (tables outside, plenty of benches nearby, or even on the grass). The seating indoors is very limited. I would choose this to eat in any day, even over the other restaurants in the same Old Mystic shopping area.
You will not be disappointed!

Visited August 2010