“Excellent”

Bleu Squid Breakfast and Bakery Cafe
Ranked #3 of 10 Dessert in Mystic
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Bacon & bleu grilled cheese is awesome. Prices aren't crazy.

Reviewed May 13, 2011

We have eaten here many times, and it is ALWAYS good. You may be thinking, "yeah, grilled cheese, so what?" ... ok... once you eat any of their wonderful combinations, or even just a "grown-up grilled cheese" (Havarti, Fontina, extra sharp Cheddar & Muenster )... unbelievably good. The bacon & blue is my favorite (on sourdough with carmelized onions and tomato).

The cupcakes are wonderful, and they have creative flavors that one would swoon for. And for those who just need the sugar fix... try a "frosting shot" of a little paper 'cup' filled with just the right amount of frosting.

Their cheese counter is above and beyond. The selection, and descriptions are great. I loved tasting a few different blues, and then selecting a good slice of one to take with me.

This restaurant is best on a nice day when you can sit outside (tables outside, plenty of benches nearby, or even on the grass). The seating indoors is very limited. I would choose this to eat in any day, even over the other restaurants in the same Old Mystic shopping area.
You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed May 5, 2011

Definitely worth stopping into. We didn't get a chance to have a grilled cheese, but we did stop and get some cupcakes... and wow were they good! Huge, fluffy, and lots of frosting! You also have to try a dirtball: a cross between a doughnut and muffin with cinnamon sugar, drenched in butter. Excellent!

Reviewed April 19, 2011

What an adorable little place. I agree with the other review, a little Gem in Mystic! I really wanted to try one of those Gourmet Grilled Cheese, I knew it would be great, but we had eaten already. So I picked up a PB cupcake for my husband and a Chocolate Vanilla one for me. WOW, probably one of the best cupcakes I have ever had and I'm a Foodie so that's saying a lot.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

Hidden in Olde Mystic Village and surrounded by much more advertised and well known restaurants - 10 Clams, Go Fish, Steak Loft, etc - Bleu Squid would get my vote for best place to eat in southeastern Connecticut, hands down! It is very casual, very low-key, the kind of place you might walk right by without even noticing... but the food is out of this world! It is, without a doubt, my favorite place to eat for lunch or dinner.

Their small menu consists of soup, macaroni & cheese, a variety of sandwiches, cheeses and assorted baked goods. We frequent the Bleu Squid quite often, and by now, we have tried every gourmet grilled cheese on the menu, as well as the mac & cheese, most flavors of cupcakes, and an assortment of her other dessert offerings - cheesecake brownies, coconut macaroons, and 'dirt bombs' just to name a few. We also normally try the soup, which changes regularly.

Now you may be thinking... gourmet grilled cheese? really??? But you need to taste it to understand... the quality of the ingredients they use is top-notch and the flavor combinations are amazing. The Artichoke, Pesto and Tomato Grilled Cheese sandwiche is my absolute favorite, but I also love the Lobster Grilled Cheese. The cupcakes are big and moist and they've always got some new, interesting flavors to try - although the mint chocolate and coconut are definitely my favorites. And, if, by chance, they happen to have any "dirt bombs" left when you go - this is also a must try item; looks are definitely deceiving for this cinnamony dessert.

The only negative thing I have to say about this restaurant is that it is truly a small operation. During the cold months, there is only one small table and a handful of chairs inside. (During warmer weather, there is a patio with more seating outside.) The decor is minimal, building on the squid/marine theme, but the atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the staff is always super nice.

1  Thank 769shannons