“Good Food, Below Average Service”
Review of Mystic Boathouse

Mystic Boathouse
Ranked #40 of 101 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited the Boathouse for lunch after visiting the Aquarium. The restaurant was nearby and we were all hungry. The parking lot was nearly empty so we were unsure if they were open or not, but the sign was turned on so we went in. There was a couple at one table but the others were empty. Took a few minutes for someone to notice us and seat us. Our waitress seemed to be very flustered and confused when she brought us our drinks. Just standard sodas and iced tea.

The food was the highlight of the visit. I had the Seafood Fra Diavolo. It was delicious. We shared a bowl of the Clam Chowder. It was barely warm on the surface, but if you spooned from the bottom of the cup it was warmer. The chowder was very tasty. My husband liked his burger and fries.

To be dining in a nearly empty restaurant the service was a bit slow, but we still enjoyed our food.

MysticBoathouse, Owner at Mystic Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Michelle - I very sincerely apologize that you did not receive great service while you were here. Your experience is not typical, and certainly not acceptable. Thank you for taking the time to review us, and I apologize again for the subpar service. Next time you visit the Mystic area please consider dining with us again, as I would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Arrive dinnertime and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next door. We didn't want to drive anywhere and wanted to have a few drinks too, so decided to check this place out. Did not expect much since usually places so so close to hotels/motels are sub par, but not this place..IT WAS VERY GOOD!! Th cabernet I ordered was really, really good for "house" wine. Appetizers were really good, calamari with thai sauce, juicy,not too fried nor overcooked and baked brie with fig spread,excellent. Husband had a grilled steak over salad with blue cheese and horseradish mashed potatoes, was delicious and steak cooked med as requested. I had the BEST seafood fra diablo I have had! The mussels were sweet, shrimp and calamari large and perfectly cooked, in a light plum to tomato sauce over linguini. Will go back when in Mystic.

Thanks for such a nice review! I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed everything, and we look forward to seeing you here again.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and excellent food at this restaurant. Chicken burger was so good - moist and flavorful. Service was attentive and food was served in a reasonable amount of time. This was right next to our hotel and I'm so glad that we tried it.

MysticBoathouse, Owner at Mystic Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

So happy to hear you enjoyed everything. Our chicken burger is one of our newest menu items, and it has become quite a hit! Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

... if you are looking for deliciously tasty food, refreshing cocktails, comfortable atmosphere, very friendly staff, good service - all at very reasonable prices!! (unlike other local overpriced places)

MysticBoathouse, Owner at Mystic Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thanks for the nice review, Jeff! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and we very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I find eating out in the USA more of a chore than a pleasure
I live in Cape Town and frankly we are spoilt rotten when eating out as quality and value are extremely high. Like anywhere though, you need to know where to go. Maybe I just can't find the AFFORDABLE fantastic eating experience in The USA
This resturant was ok, the food was ok and the service was ok. I

You've made us want to visit Cape Town! Sorry to hear that eating out is a chore here, but I hope you enjoyed all the other parts of your visit to the USA.

Been to Mystic Boathouse? Share your experiences!