“Authentic Lebanese”

Mezza
Ranked #8 of 100 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Conveniently located less than a mile from downtown Mystic, this quaint Mediterranean Grill has charm and ambiance, outdoor seating, and on site parking. Authentic, fresh, home-style cooking & all natural ingredients.
“Authentic Lebanese”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My Mom is 100% Lebanese so I grew up eating Lebanese food. I hesitated ordering the stuffed grape leaves since most restaurant grape leaves never taste like Mom's homemade. These stuffed grape leaves were great and the best I have ever had at a restaurant. We also had the chicken Shawarma and hummus. Both were fabulous. The pita bread was even genuine Lebanese instead of typical store-bought Greek style bread. We loved this place and will definitely go back. Our waitress LaLa gave great service. The owners Vivian and Tony made sure every aspect of the dining experience went beyond expectations.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank BishopSteve

Mystic, Connecticut
“Food used to be better, waitresses were snotty & it's way over priced.”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We've dined here several times but I can't see returning. It's just not that great for the price you pay. The dishes are small and over priced, seating is difficult & fussy for lack of a better word & the waitress we had was cranky.

1 Thank NoahCMG
thepitaspot, Owner at Mezza, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Truthfully, I do not believe this review was written by anyone who dined here several times, Can't help but wonder if this is an angry former employee or a vendetta of some type. Our prices have not changed in three years and our wait staff is known for being sweet, accommodating and helpful.
New London, Connecticut
“Definitely not the Same Old Thing!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Delicious and different is how I would describe The Pita Spot! Owned by a Lebanese family--two brothers and a sister--it serves Middle Eastern fare--including some old family favorites, like the La La Chicken (no, you can't have the recipe!) At least one of the siblings is always there, greeting patrons, overseeing meal preparation, ensuring waitstaff is providing excellent service and contributing to the distinctively Middle Eastern atmosphere.The female waitstaff even wear jangly money skirts (and if you don't know what they are, go in and find out!). Baba ganoush to die for!

2 Thank Katherine L
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Nearly perfect....but one blemish marred it for hubby”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

As a devotee of Arabic food, I was eager to try The Pita Spot. The reviews seemed to point to a crackerjack experience. We attempted the outing yesterday but arrived just as it closed 2 hours, something not mentioned in the books. Undeterred, we headed out for the establishment today, and were pleased to find it open and bustling. We were originally shown a rather diminutive table and we are generously sized patrons. The second waitress quickly gave us a bigger table without us even asking, so kudos for that.

When we asked about a mezze plate, she told us about their 2 sizes, and my hubby and I got to the ordering. Well...it was actually a little more difficult than that as they were a bit slammed. But we got the drinks ordered and though my husband was disappointed they didn't have Coke products, he ordered an (unsweet) iced tea and I ordered an iced coffee. I got a 3 item mezze, comrised of the kibbe, the hummus, and the baba ghannouj, and my husband opted for a beef/lamb combo shawarma that was simply great!! When my pita ran out, it was replenished. When my iced coffee ran dry, it too was refilled.

So the blemish?? My husband twice had to ask for a refill on his iced tea, and by the second request, they had "run out". It seemed so casual and aloofly said, and nothing was offered in its stead. Not even water, and he more than once said he would not have drunk his tea down so quickly had he known he would not be offered anything else.

This oversight truly bummed my thin skinned husband.

But for that, you folks would have merited the full five for five rating. This was as close to the real deal in Lebanese cuisine that I have had in many many years. I really detest places that serve Arabic food that is really more Greek food in its preparation and try to pull the wool over the eyes of their patrons. I have no objection to a meat sandwich, but do not call a gyro a shawarma, or a steak sandwich one either. Full marks for the pickled cabbage and the tahini too!

Mystic, Connecticut
“Lamb Kabob wrap with Vivian's 'secret garlic sauce' - wow!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are lucky enough to live in Mystic, CT - home of The Pita Spot restaurant! Absolutely delish food - truly a spot not to miss on your trip to Mystic! A visit to The Pita Spot could be the reason to visit Mystic! :-)
They have a wonderful menu of hot and cold appetizers and a wide variety of items - sandwiches, salads, entrees, desserts. A take out order makes a fabulous picnic to take to the beach, just 20 minutes away!
Our fav is the Lamb Kabob wrap, which they warm on a Panini grill!
Vivian, one of the owners, makes her 'secret garlic sauce' - you have to taste it - not like anything we have ever eaten anywhere else.
They have outdoor tables which are really fun - the service is always exceptional!
If you order take out, ask them for a little container of chips with sumac!

1 Thank AndreaLeiser

Been to Mezza? Share your experiences!