“Absolutely amazing”
Review of Mezza

Mezza
Ranked #10 of 101 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Conveniently located less than a mile from downtown Mystic, this quaint Mediterranean Grill has charm and ambiance, outdoor seating, and on site parking. Authentic, fresh, home-style cooking & all natural ingredients.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having recently returned from vacation in the middle east, I was extremely skeptical about this being authentic. However, I was pleasantly surprised. My sister and I went for lunch there and were greeted and seated promptly. Our server introduced herself and gave us an overview of the menu, pointing out veggie and gluten free options, the family's recipe la la chicken, and sample dish. After I told her I had just come back from Lebanon, she immediately asked me how my trip was and seemed genuinely excited for me to give me feedback on their food.

Our appetizers were falafel and Baba ganoush. Both of which were fantastic. The baba gannoush had a wonderful smoky, fresh flavor and it was served with pita which was refilled on request. I couldn't believe how moist the falafel was on the inside and how crunchy it was on the outside. It was hands down the best falafel I've ever had.

Our waitress made sure we had plenty of napkins and water, she alsochecked on our progress frequently which I thought was very nice.

My sister and I both took ordered the la la chicken over an arugula salad with goatcheese, a suggestion from our waitress. The special chicken was juicy and delicious and had a very unique taste to it. It went very well with the salad. The only thing I would change would be to order the dressing on the side because there was just a bit too much. It was delicious, just a little too dressed for my taste. We looked at their dessert tray but sadly we were too full.this restaurant was excellent and I will definitely be back and sending anyone and everyone their way for an authentic, Lebanese experience with polite and knowledgeable staff and fabulous food

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My grandparents were from Beirut and honestly, I didn't think anyone could cook like my grandmother. So, I was quite skeptical when I placed my order. I was pleasantly surprised (and shocked) at the authenticity of their food. It made me feel as if I was in my grandmother's kitchen again. Our server, Liz, was outstanding. She was informative and attentive. Tony, one of the owners, made it a point to visit our table. The appetizers were fabulous, the grape leaves, were spot on, the tabouli was perfectly seasoned. I haven't had kibbeh in many years and ordered that as my entree. From the first bite I was in heaven! Well done, Pita Spot, I am looking forward to another visit!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

No atmosphere. they charge $6.00 corkage fee and our wine was a twist top! La La chicken was wonderful but I doubt we will return. Located in a strip mall.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I think most of these reviews were either made up or posted by people who never ate Middle Eastern food before. I was was initially really excited about trying this restaurant based on these reviews however just before going I read two real negative reviews on YELP which I chose to ignore...... When we arrived we stood around for several minutes before being acknowledged, then a girl stepped forward mumbled something and disappeared in the back leaving us to wonder what to do, wait or seat ourselves? She returned, seated us after my boyfriend indicated where we wanted to sit. The ambiance was okay, nothing special or specific to the Middle East. The waitresses all wore leggings with belly dancers hip scarves with bangles, most of which were falling apart, which looked tacky.

Coming from NJ where we have a very large Middle Eastern community in Paterson I have eaten enough Middle Eastern food to be able to tell good from bad. The waitress brought us water, never asking if we wanted anything to drink. She insisted on explaining the menu even though we had already looked at it and were very familiar with the menu offerings. My boyfriend who is Middle Eastern had a shwarma sandwich and I had the Lala chicken??? Where LALA came from I have no idea as it is not even an Arabic word. I also ordered the Arugula Goat Cheese salad as an appetizer, however I requested feta cheese in place of goat as I am not a big fan of goat cheese. The waitress came back after several minutes to tell me there would be an additional charge of $2 for the feta. Right there, I was totally turned off and the YELP reviews I had read came to life. My boyfriend and I exchanged looks but decided to just go with it.

When I got the salad it was attractive however it was soooo salty. My boyfriend received a small bowl of romaine lettuce with oil and vinegar no tomatoes or cucumbers just lettuce which we thought was a little strange. Next was the entree, when my boyfriends shwarma arrived we just stared at it. It was a piece a pita bread that was wrapped around strips of beef which is definately not shwarma. There was Tahina sauce dripping from it, and it was soooo salty. The sandwich looked like a snack wrap you would get at McDonalds just a little bigger but not much. He finished it in 5 bites and this was $12!!!! This is a rip off. In Paterson you could get a shwarma platter for three people that makes six sandwiches for less than that price and that includes shwarma, hummus, babba ghanouss, and as much pita bread as you want. The actual sandwich which is twice the size costs $3.99 in Paterson so you can understand our surprise. Real shwarma is actual cuts of meat cooked on a rotisserie and shaved. The meat is placed in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and a little tahini, this was not even close. On the tables you get a dish of olives and pickled turnips as well as a bowl of soup with your meal (choice of two lentil or freeky). This place gave you a small cup of overseasoned pita chips.

My entree, the signature Lala chicken was laughable. The half chicken was the size of a pigeon, and that is half a pigeon. It was served on a plain white dish on top of a pita which was split open and the top of the pita covered the chicken. The flavor was blaah. The waitress claimed it was marinated 48 hrs which was not reflected in the flavor. There was sauce on the side with some pickles chopped up in it. No thought was put into presentation. The shwarma was thrown on a plate with nothing else.

As the YELP reviewers noted the waitress appeared to recognize we were unhappy, but no attempt to rectify the problem was made. She even told us that it was her families business so it was really disheartening that she didn't seem to care about our experience. My boyfriend takes a lot of pride in his culture and their food and he was so embarrased that this restaurant is trying to pass this off as reflective of Medditeranean/Middle Eastern food. Lebanese are known for good food but the recipes must have gotten lost in translation. As they say in Arabic this was haaram or shame!!!

5  Thank Claire D
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We tried this place based on the great reviews and were not disappointed. We are locals now and checking out all of the local eateries. We enjoyed our lunch so much that we brought our kids back the next day. We have also ordered take out from here a few times. The hummus and shankleesh is delicious and my husband absolutely loves the falafel wrap. My youngest daughter and he also enjoyed the lala chicken, which they said was tender, moist, and beautifully seasoned. I also think the Mediterranean flatbread is really good but overpriced for the small amount you get. The service is always friendly and fast. The atmosphere is nice, it can get a little crowded though. This is my new favorite restaurant and my family will be regulars here.

1  Thank mystikmom

Been to Mezza? Share your experiences!