“Slow Service (but friendly) saved by big tasty proportions”

Thai One On Where East Meets West
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We offer healthy and tasty eastern cuisine, prepared in the manner of native Thailand - slightly adjusted and specialty menued for taste - with a western presentation. We use only fresh ingredients and add no MSG. Every meal is cooked separately, which allows us to meet special needs of our customers (such as gluten free diet or various allergies). Our restaurant was designed to present a casual/classy cafe-like environment in which our customers can enjoy both a traditional dining room and a lounge area with the full bar
Riverhead, ny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow Service (but friendly) saved by big tasty proportions”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We read all the great reviews and I love Thai food so my wife and ventured in. The dining room looked pretty packed and was kind-of loud so we went to the lounge-bar area (great choice). We were greeted by our waitress/hostess/bartender quickly and given our menus. The bar/lounge is a very tranquil and hip place off the dining room. Despite the dining room being almost full, we were separate and quite in the lounge with just two men at the bar. It was a great choice.

Drinks: We were very excited by the drink menu and the great reviews of the espresso martini. My wife order the Lychee Martini, one of our favorites and I ordered an espresso martini. Both of our drinks were watery. My espresso martini was sub-par but plenty drinkable. The lychee martini tasted like there was no lychee in it and had a lemon peel insted of the lychee fruit that is the normal garnish at other restaurants we've been to.

We ordered and it took a long time to get any food (40 mins. for salads). We were starving and wondered why they don't have at least some of that fried dough with sweet sauce like other Thai places in case the kitchen gets tied up. The salads were very good despite my papaya salad having no visible papaya on the plate.

By the way, two stars out of four seemed low for me. I have ordered Thai hot at some places and a step below Thai hot usually for my curries. The two star was perfect. I could taste my food and feel the heat...beware. My wife got no stars because she dies with spice.

Dinner was great. I love big portions and I was not disappointed. My vegetable curry came in a huge bowl. There was so much that the rice was not able to soak it all up, so I ordered a side of more jasmine rice. I loved the course. Very good. My wife had the Pad Woon Sen a mix of mushroom, shallot, clear noodle, in a brown sauce and she loved it.

We were so stuffed I could not even order dessert.

Overall, it was a slow start but strong finish for this place. We would recommend it to a friend and return next time we are in town. To be fair we overheard our waitress saying that the whole place filled up in twenty minutes so we will cut some slack on the times. Not sure if we got the bartender responsible for the great drink reviews. Check it out for yourself if you enjoy Thai food.

Providence, Rhode Island
“Good and fun”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Happened upon this place a Wednesday back and found the bar filled with people happily enjoying the drinks and the appetizers. It's a very surprising bar, very chic and upscale. After a time we grabbed a seat in the dining room and ordered one of the specials, which was a fresh salmon steak in a basil sauce. My wife had the duck curry. I can't say anything except that the taste was excellent. The salmon was absolutely fresh - it came right from the docks - and the curry was great. We'll be back. Fun people, fun place, food is great, and the price affordable. Can't recommend it enough.

Northampton, Massachusetts
“Slow and unimpressive”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

In spite of only four tables being full, the food here took FOREVER - 40 minutes (really). OK food, but definitely not worth the wait. Atmosphere is nothing special.

2 Thank AnnieAndLittleJoe
providence
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I had the most delicious dinner at Thai One On a few weeks back. The food was absolutely fantastic! My boyfriend and I ate at the beautiful bar and had the opportunity to meet the chef who had just returned from Thailand to visit family. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the food since we left. Thanks for a great dinner!!!

Old Lyme, Connecticut
“Great food, best espresso martini”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

As much as I remember the excellent kang dang and my wife the green curry, you have the tastiest espresso martini going. Keep it going!