“Thai One On, a big disappointment”

Thai One On Where East Meets West
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We offer healthy and tasty eastern cuisine, prepared in the manner of native Thailand - slightly adjusted and specialty menued for taste - with a western presentation. We use only fresh ingredients and add no MSG. Every meal is cooked separately, which allows us to meet special needs of our customers (such as gluten free diet or various allergies). Our restaurant was designed to present a casual/classy cafe-like environment in which our customers can enjoy both a traditional dining room and a lounge area with the full bar
Reviewed December 27, 2009

My wife and I have stopped in on recent evenings to experience this relatively new eatery in Mystic mainly because we love Thai cuisine and have it often. I am more experienced than most with complex Thai methods and tastes, having lived with a Thai chef and I have been to Thai restaurants literally throughout the world, plus I cook it myself. OK, you get the point. What I can tell you is that Thai One On is a Thai restaurant in name only, far from authentic and attempting to pass off canned / microwaved subpar ingredients as Thai. Example - the whole cucumber appetizer with steamed tuna is watery tuna fish straight from the can, barely edible, really. (After having this dish we both got sick to our stomachs as a bonus.) The Tom Ka Gai soup is a joke. This may sound harsh but their fast food version of Pad Thai is an insult to the Thai people. Each dish was disappointing in both flavor and presentation. (Somehow the chef here must think that sprinkling peanuts on top of the dishes qualify them as gourmet. So sorry.) The friendly service and lively bar crowd are the only things saving this pricey, mediocre place from being a complete washout. Go elsewhere for Thai cuisine, Thai Pepper in Westerly RI is far better and only 20 minutes down the road. Not going back to Thai One On again.

6  Thank tbrielmann

Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I ate at Thai One On last weekend and really enjoyed it. The flavors were excellent and the ingredients obviously fresh. We have recommended it to all of our friends and will be going back soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

This just opened and we have been there a couple of times for dinner, once in the surprisingly large bar area and once in the dining area. It's a very upscale, sparkling look combined with a fantastic kitchen. The spring rolls and the jumping squid appetizers are superb, and my wife loves the papaya salad. No skimping on portions here. Entrees and specials, and I had a great radnar. Very friendly and efficient service, and the owners took time to ask us how we enjoyed ourselves and if we had any recommendations - nice to see proprietors who care about the customers' viewpoints and and about getting to know them. Will be back and back.

Reviewed September 19, 2009

Food is excellent. Some of the best Thai food I've had...and I've had alot. The service however was a bit chaotic. I sat at the bar where the bartender serving me was lovely and attentive. However, the owners got behind the bar to "help" and it was obvious that they got in the way to where the bartender was so distracted she forgot about me. This is the second time I've eaten here and had the same experience both times. I will go back again for the food and entertainment of the owners and the staff tripping over each other.

1  Thank Timiso
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I've got take here twice now. Excellent and fast service, too. I usually order Pad Prig Sod with chicken (two stars, three if I'm in the mood for spicier). The spring rolls are delicious, too. Next time, I'll venture and try something different but I just love pad prig sod.