“i've never been grossed out by a hotel room before...until this one”

Econo Lodge Mystic - Groton
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We got there very late at night for check in. Check in was easy and the attendant was pleasant, but not friendly.

The photos show the pool with rooms to the right of it. Those rooms with balconies are the Howard Johnson's across the parking lot, NOT the Econo Lodge. The area in general isn't attractive - it's a series of parking lots of a major route.

We requested a non-smoking room which is important to me as I have asthma. The room reeked of smoke, but it was so late that we just went to bed. The blanket on the bed had crusted spots on it which really grossed me out. I was staying there for 2 nights for a wedding and called my friend who was arriving the next day to switch her reservation to another hotel. If I hadn't paid up front for my 2 night stay, I would have switched to another of the several hotels within walking distance.

The Holiday Inn looked nice and the Ho-Jo looked new at least.

The room was average with a double bed, dark green carpet, tv and desk and the vanity was separate from the bathroom. The bathroom had a toilet and shower/tub. The ceilings in the room and the bathroom was a drop ceiling with old tiles. The shower did not have a shower head on it (just spraying from the pipe) and the nozzle to switch from tub to shower pulled off in my hand when I used it. The tub was clogged when I showered (with flip flops on I might add) and water pooled up to my ankles. It was gross.

They left 1 shampoo and there was no iron - just an ironing board.

Continental breakfast was mini donuts, mini muffins, coffee, OJ.

The staff was not available the only time I went to request another bottle of shampoo. I rang the bell and no one came to the lobby.

My boyfriend used the pool and said it was nice. The towels were the size of hand towels though, so bring your own beach towel.

A/C in the room worked well and there was a mini fridge, hairdryer and coffee maker in the room. I did some work and the desk and chair were clean and comfortable.

There is a diner (Equinox) in the same parking complex (at HOJOs) and there is also a Friendly's in the same parking lot. We had a very ordinary breakfast at Equinox (generic). Great breakfast down the street at Kitchen Little - we sat on a deck over looking a pond.

If you are looking for a weekend away or visiting Mystic, try to book elsewhere and other than Greenmanville Road area - it is a major highway with very heavy traffic. This was my first and probably only visit to Mystic based on my experience with the hotel and surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was the only hotel in our entire 5 1/2 week road trip that I had cause to complain about. Our room was filthy. We are not finicky travellers and I might have excused the pile of crushed up breakfast cereal and debris from previous guests as an oversight until I wrote my name in the dust on the bed head, removed a hair from the grimy coffee tray and wiped down something spilled on the chair. When I complained next morning the guy offered to have it cleaned. No point - we were leaving. The guy then asked when I noticed the mess which is fair enough if you want a problem fixed. Truth is, I noticed it the previous night but at $172 p/n (incl tax) I don't expect to have to call reception to have my room cleaned or to pack up and move to a new room: . Reading other reviews my experience seems not to be too isolated either. The guy did apologise but .....having a clean room would be a fairly basic requirement to running a hotel I think.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

we booked for two nights and couldnt stand the smell in the room, dirty blanket on bed, bathroom was dirty, ac barely worked, we left and booked at another hotel. dont waste your money on this dump

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed here on a overnight stay, while visiting the Casinos and shopping in Mystic, we generally stay at the Comfort Inn down then road, but unfortunatly we booked to late and they were sold out. I found the staff to be very unhelpful, almost to the point of rudeness. The room was clean, although we could have definatly used more pillows which they did not have any more available. It seems like the room was freshly painted, but the bathroom could have used some updating. For a cheap overnight stay I would recomend this hotel, but for more than one night I would spend more and go else where.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I ended up at this motel as a last minute place to stay. It was cheaper than the place next door ($89) and it was totally fine. The rooms were clean and quiet. There was wireless and the check-in guy was nice. It's definitely dated but suck it up and spend more time in the beautiful town of Mystic.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is within walking distance of a Friendly's, a diner, a steakhouse, Dunkin Donuts, a quick stop gas station, Domino's, and McDonald's. The Aquarium is not far away. It's not a luxury hotel but it was clean and roomy. Bring extra pillows.

It can get loud on a Saturday night because it's more of a motel than hotel and people park right outside the window.

One bizarre thing was they billed our credit card before we even went!

Room Tip: book online
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We've stayed at other Econo Lodge locations before, mostly because they are pet-friendly and fairly well-run. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE- AVOID THIS MOTEL IF POSSIBLE. Paid $89 for a Sat night stay in April (off-season) for which we reserved a king room, we were given two doubles and told they were sold out so we could take it or leave it. The room was dirty and falling apart, we had no heat and it was very cold at night. The fridge made so much noise we had to unplug it. Mattresses are old and have squeaky springs. I did not want to touch the carpet with my feet, so I kept my shoes on the whole time.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a better room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple