“Fab soup, rude staff”

Dining options: Lunch
Mystic, Connecticut
“Fab soup, rude staff”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I'm a local and frequent the soup co for the fantastic soup & paninis. I am disturbed by the rude staff & continue to question returning. I stopped in today and an older gentleman was asking if they had a vegan soup today. The young lady working at the counter rolled her eyes and exhaled repeatedly while answering his question. She insisted that the chicken lemon thyme soup was vegan. He nicely said it wasn't possible because of the chicken and she got very rude with him and asked him what he possibly wanted. He apologized and ordered the minestrone. There was no need for him to apologize, he was polite the entire time, the employee was beyond unacceptable and I'm not sure I'll return.

The place is small and charming in a rustic hole in the wall type of way. It's not a place to stay & eat at as there isn't enough seating.

The soups are always very good. The sandwiches are good as well. The service always leaves much to be desired.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank JMJSN

Collinsville, Connecticut
“Fabulous paninis & soups- take out”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place is great to pick up lunch! The sandwiches are all $8, and there are 3 soups offered each day. There are only two tables with stools inside, and two tables outside with two chairs each. We sensed that most people just pick up lunch and go. The selection of paninis offered was really enticing, although I was surprised to see that every single one had meat of some sort, or fish... and cheese. NONE of them were vegetarian! Really?!?!?! not even a roasted red pepper & hummus, or avocado, tomato and sprouts... or something... even egg salad? (a simple change to fix that!).

We had a potato leek soup that was excellent, and a mulligatawny that was quite good too. The sandwiches were piled high with filling and were wrapped and then cut, so it was easy to eat one half and have it stay wrapped so things stay together as you enjoy. We each were full after a small soup and half of the sandwich, so we got to keep the other half for the next day! Yum.

Their website is not up-to-date with what's available though, and the photo above is NOT what it looks like. The Soup Co is a bit hard to find as the signage isn't great, as it's only on the door, with no sign hanging to direct you. It is in the back of a parking lot behind the Sea Swirl. A hole-in-the wall place. But definitely worth it for the food. Perfect to grab lunch and go somewhere to enjoy. And ordering ahead maybe, also, since it did take a while to have the sandwiches made, even though it wasn't too busy.
It was a nice day so we sat right there at the outside tables, overlooking the water (and the train tracks). As the food was great, we will definitely be back!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank lindseystarr
Burlington , Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful sandwich, ho hum service”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After reading many recommendations , we decided to try Mystic Soup company for a late lunch today.... The Butternut squash soup was good, and the Panini's were incredible . We had the Buck Buck and the Turkey something....... they were to die for.
One little thing though, the young girl who took our order seemed either to be bored to death, or just dying to go home. She seemed to be annoyed when we took 30 seconds to decide from amongst the many choices of Panini, and when I asked whether the two listed soups were the only ones available , she rolled her eyes as if I was stupid or something . Oh well, I hope it was just because it was a bad day for her ..... nevertheless, a great meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank John D
Carbondale, Illinois
“More than soup”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Interesting and tasty soups and great sandwiches. While not easy to find (It is hidden behind the Sea Swirl) it is worth looking for. The sandwiches are big and made to order. Lots of unusual choices and reasonably priced. We will certainly go back again. There are a few small tables inside and some picnic benches outside. Better to go when the weather is nice and you can sit outside. But carry-outs are also possible and there seemed to be a steady stream of regulars doing that.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tasty Soup and Great Sandwiches”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I grabbed lunch for myself and my parents here, they have short hours and can get pretty busy. It was about a 20 minute wait for one sandwich to be made (which they warned us about when we ordered), so I would suggest calling ahead. The soup was pretty good, but I thought the sandwich I had (chicken salad) was even better! It is a small place, so I would plan on taking your meals to go.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Mystic Soup Co? Share your experiences!