“Location 5 star, comfort 3”
Review of The Whaler's Inn

The Whaler's Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Absolutely loved the location, great fun walking over drawbridge to shops, Mystic Pizza, and ice cream. It was also a pleasant walk to the lovely Mystic Seaport Museum ( make sure you take the harbor cruise). The hotel staff was welcoming,helpful and efficient and the complimentary breakfast ,while not exciting offered enough choices. We stayed in the main house, the feel was perfect New England seaside. Our room, #36 was not at all tired (as noted by other reviewers), it had a lovely country vibe, solid furnishings, spacoius and even a peak of the harbor. BUT, oh my the bed, the mattress was mushy and sunk in the middle, my husband and I woke each morning with new aches and pains.Thankfully, the freindly staff ,the area and all it has to offer, quickly eased our discomfort .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Public Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time share your lovely comments. Having a guest share their experience at the inn is a great compliment. It is so nice to hear that you were so pleased with our staff. We strive to offer a superior level of service and yet be “down to earth” and easy to connect with. As you said, the Inn does have that cozy seaside New England feel to it. I do however apologize for the uncomfortable night’s sleep you had. Of course we want every bit of your experience to be superb. We will be sure to check the mattress and take necessary steps to assure all guests have a quality sleep. Please know that in the future if any part of your stay in uncomfortable, the staff is here to help. Thank you again and we do hope to welcome you back to the Inn sometime soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We hadn't booked so we're thrilled that there was a room available when we got to Mystic. The Inn is very well located and staff are very pleasant. However our room in the Noank annexe felt tired and not totally clean, the bedding seemed 'dusty' and old. The shared balcony outside was a nice touch though. Breakfast is included and offered plenty of choice. Temper your expectations and you ant go wrong with the location

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia K

Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn. Our location really is superb! I apologize that the room did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that over the course of the winter season we will be making several upgrades to the rooms and the linens. We do hope that despite this experience you will return and give us the opportunity to show you how wonderful the Whaler’s Inn truly is.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I planned a nice weekend in Mystic, CT August 23-26th 2013. Finally I have time to write review. My mom recommended this place when she went a couple years ago, and most places were totally booked, glad this place was available. Trip Advisor has never steered us wrong before either, reading the reviews. It was a good value for us. We walked there from the Amtrak train station about 5 blocks easy peasy.

We stayed in room 35 on the third floor in the Main building, Queen size bed it was blue had nice nautical theme. Bed was okay my husband prefers firmer mattress and I didn't like the pillows were too soft. But I say that about all hotel pillows.Not a deal breaker because you never know if hotel beds/pillows are like, the 3 bears children's story, firm, soft or just right.
I didn't notice any musty smell, cobwebs or anything, there was an interesting iron mark on the rug(probably been there for a long while)kind of funny where it was, why would someone iron on the floor? they do have an ironing board.

The bathroom was a nice size tub/shower but not much room to put toiletries, and if you forget they have shampoo,conditioner body wash dispensers in shower. Water pressure okay took a bit for hot water, take note old building on 3rd floor so this was expected.
As for noise factor I can't stand quiet, but the drawbridge sound you get used to it first couple times.. The only thing I have to say is the air conditioner is too loud and noisy for me, and the calibration of the timing of air conditioner going on and off weird every 5 minutes.It did keep the room nice and cool.

The staff was warm friendly and helpful, always smiling and chock full of knowledge of the area. Also buy your tickets to seaport and aquarium at front desk it will save you about 5.00 each ticket if you bought them at seaport or aquarium

As other reviewers said, the free breakfast selection, not so good, just okay. (coffee cups way to small for me) 10am they are like clockwork and shut down, but tea & coffee is set up all day in lobby next to front desk. Ice and soda machines are around the corner from front desk.

If you want a hot breakfast, coffee in larger and if need a dunkin or starbucks fix. Then world wide of bagels across parking lot is good(review later)

We don't drive or own a car(shocking I know) it was a good central location to walk everywhere.
If you forget stuff CVS is 3 1/2 blocks away. 5 minute walk. Easy peasy

Overall we had a nice stay, I like everything close and walking distance. Would I stay here again yes.

Room Tip: The stairs are a bit steep,(its an old building) be careful if you have heavy luggage or knee issues...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Public Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to review the Inn. Your pleasant comments about our staff, hotel amenities and location are greatly appreciated. I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our discount admission tickets to the Seaport and Aquarium during your visit. If you are able to return this Fall/Winter Season, be sure to check our website for the numerous specials and discounts we offer!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The "Inn" is ok, for what they charge, you really should get a little more! The room was "clean" except for the cobwebs in the corners, the staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful. They are centrally located and you can walk to the downtown district, but then again for the price,it could be better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank baileysmom928

Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn. We appreciate all comments and suggestions that our guests share. In regards to pricing, we are sorry to hear that you felt the price was not equal to the value. We do feel very strongly that our pricing is similar to comparable properties in our area. If visiting during the Fall and Winter Season, we do offer discounted packages and specials. We hope to welcome you and your family back to the Inn in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Whaler's Inn is very nicely located within walking distance of everything in Mystic. Leave your car parked and just adventure on foot, that's what we did. I think we may have just by chance had the best room - 3rd floor corner room that looks directly at the historic draw bridge and main street below. We didn't know until checking in that there are no elevators in this historic building, so luggage must be lugged up the stairs. But you only do it once and going down is much easier. We stayed a week and there was plenty to do and see in the area to keep us interested. The hotel staff at the front desk were very helpful in answering questions and making recommendations. The continental breakfast each morning was very much to our liking - simple for we with simple tastes, a good start for the day. The draw bridge stops traffic for about 10 minute intervals throughout the day (not the night) and so it can look like a commute hour backup until one realizes the cause. It's short though and traffic soon clears. Plenty of hotel free parking.

Room Tip: Hoxie House, corner room, 3rd floor, overlooking the draw bridge. I think that's the best for ga...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

What a pleasure it was to read your review. Our location really is fantastic! The fact that you can park your car and walk to our many lovely shops and restaurants is such an asset to us. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and that the staff was helpful and hospitable. I apologize that you were unaware we do not have elevators. Due to the historic nature of the Inn, most rooms are on a 2nd or 3rd floor with stair access only. We do note this on the confirmations guests receive. However after reading your comment, I did review the Inn’s website. I did not feel that it was noted sufficiently, and will be sure to make the appropriate updates. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the Inn in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is very centrally located. We love to walk and it was easy to get around, The room was very clean and pretty big. We were right off the main street but there was never any noise (except of course when the bridge went up). Although we never ate at the restaurant it seemed to be full both nights we were there. The breakfast was very good - they seemed to have thought of everything. The only issue we had was the breakfast room was not that large and some people were ignorant and sat there forever just sipping coffee and chatting while others were waiting to sit. Perhaps management can put a polite sign on the tables requesting that customers not linger too long if others seem to want to sit.
We had a great time and would definitely come back and highly recommend the Whaler's Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Whaler’s Inn. I apologize that the breakfast room was busy at the time you arrived. The breakfast we provide is quite extensive and many of our guests do take advantage of this complimentary offering. If ever you need of anything, please feel comfortable to ask the desk or the breakfast room attendant. They would be happy to assist you. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a nice hotel right in the middle of Mystic, but it did not have a fridge or microwave in the room and the giant bathtub was hard to be in and out of (I did enjoy it while I was in it though).

• Stayed: May 2013