“Great customer service”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
New York City, New York
“Great customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had a very pleasant experience with this hotel, except for one issue that was quickly addressed. From the woman on the phone who took my reservation up to checkout, everyone was unfailingly nice, professional and customer-oriented.

The hotel itself is very charming, as others have mentioned, and the location couldn't be better. You are right in the middle of the main commercial district and steps from shops and restaurants. You won't have to worry about street noise keeping you awake though because the area gets very quiet at night.

We stayed in the third-floor deluxe suite, which had a queen bed, love seat and writing nook. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bath tub was also a Jacuzzi. As promised, we had a perfect view of the river and Main Street. There was a fireplace that worked (I think our room is the one in the photo), but we stayed there during a heatwave. The complimentary breakfast offered more than I was expecting, like yogurt and microwaveable bacon and egg sandwiches.

Our only issue during our stay was the air conditioning. We arrived in 90-degree weather and the room was stifling. We informed the front desk and they said that the central air moved room by room, so it might take a while to reach our room. We were heading out anyway, so they said to let them know if it got any better when we returned an hour later. It didn't. They brought up a fan and gave the same explanation about the central air. Long story short, it never got much cooler in the room. It was Fourth of July weekend and the hotel was fully booked, so asking for another room wasn't an option. At checkout, we brought up the problem with the air conditioning and the woman at the front desk apologized sincerely and offered without any hesitation a generous discount on the room.

I have no doubt that they will do whatever it takes to make sure the room is comfortable for future guests. So, yes, I would wholeheartedly recommend this place, not because I particularly loved the room or the hotel itself, but because the staff provides excellent customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelerNYC2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June and we had a great time! The location of this hotel is perfect so that you can park your car and walk everywhere. We arrived early and when I went to the front desk to inquire what time I could check in the staff was extremely nice. They told us anytime after 3pm which we totally understood. She even gave us a map of the area and pointed out somethings for us to do. When we returned our check in was quick and easy. We stayed in the main building on the third floor. There was no elevator so that was a bit of a surprise but it wasn't a problem. Our room was a cozy queen and I was able to pick the exact one from the website which I really appreciated. The room was clean and comfortable. We had no complaints. This hotel even offers discounted tickets to the Seaport - which was great!The continental breakfast was fabulous! Way better than any chain hotel's. And the wait staff in there was so nice and personable too. If we come back to Mystic, I will be making another reservation for sure!

1 Thank Karen C
Jefferson, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great location, had a view of the drawbridge from our room. Clean, spacious and comfortable room. Relaxing stay. We had a King room on the second floor. You can leave your car and walk all around downtown. Had a package deal with the room for dinner. Bravo Bravo is attached to the hotel. Great food, very busy, loud and crowded though. Had breakfast at checkout, very good selection to choose from.

Room Tip: Package deal was a good value
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had the cozy queen room in the main building, up the stairs on the third floor. The room was plenty big for us, clean and comfortable. The breakfast (included in the room rate) is very good and one of the best we've had with a wide assortment of pastries, muffin-type sandwiches, cereal and fruit. We also enjoyed dining at Bravo Bravo, the restaurant downstairs one evening, which was quite a treat.

Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I should start off by saying that I after looking at pictures of downtown Mystic on the website, I was very excited to stay at the Whaler's Inn. After opening the door to my room, I realized that I should not have gotten my hopes up.

For a little over $200 a night, I did not expect a five star hotel, but I did expect cleanliness in a good location. The location is great, but it seems to me that the Whaler's Inn uses their location as an excuse to slack off on much needed renovations and updates. After pulling up, you will clearly realize that the only thing that you're paying for is the downtown area, because the room was to the point of pathetic. And I will tell you why:

1. There was an overwhelming musty smell that stuck on hair, clothes, etc. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I asked to smell a few of my neighbor's rooms, and their's were just as bad. They don't offer cancellations, so I was out of luck. My allergies flared during the time I was staying there, and I couldn't wait to leave. If you have allergies, asthma, or sensitivity to smells, I would highly recommend staying elsewhere. I checked out the Marriott before leaving and it was just lovely. I will stay there the next time I return.

2. Bedspreads were old and smelled like the room. Actually considered going to a local store to buy fresh blankets, but figured they would smell after putting them into the room. Got an awful night's sleep.

3. Saw several bugs in my room during my stay. They almost blended into the carpeting, so they were difficult to spot. Ants crawling on me in the shower, though too. Since I was only staying a night and am highly against poisons and sprays (I use all natural) I figured I would try my hardest to deal with it until early the next morning, when I packed up as fast as I could.

4. The shower is so tiny, that I was thankful for my petite stature, because if I was any larger I'm certain that I would not have fit. Reminded my of my college dormitory days. Not good

5. Finally, the staff is rude and unfriendly. They acted like it was a huge chore to answer simple questions. Wanted directions to a few places (no concierge), and opted to ask random people than encounter the rude ladies at the desk.

Overall, avoid unhealthy mold, terrible smells, and bugs and stay elsewhere. Mystic is small, it's only a two or three minute drive downtown and there's plenty of parking. Enjoy your cleanliness and large showers at other hotels.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Callie K
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I am incredibly sorry to hear about your experience with us. As we do not seem to have a record of your complaints during stay we urge you to contact us to discuss your stay further. We pride ourselves on our award winning service and cleanliness and would like the opportunity to be able to address the problems with your guestroom.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We pulled into Mystic CT for a wedding near Stonington, CT. We were 3 people looking for place to spend a great weekend. The staff at Mystic handled everything we need from late night directions on where to get cereal to regular maid service. The LOCATION is perfect! Great hotel, great staff!

Room Tip: Have a great time...it will be short.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank theseattlecook
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Best Regards, Nicole
Assistant Innkeeper
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Everything about this Hotel is charming. The location, the rooms and the staff. Visited Mystic several times but never stayed but was lucky to do so this past weekend. We had a 'charming' room on the 2nd floor in the Inn. Décor was exactly what I would have expected from the overall appearance of the outside but the staff and breakfast was more than expected. Plentiful fresh choices each morning hosted by 'charming' young lady. The 'charming' front desk staff were so welcoming, knowledgeable and efficient. Even the housekeeping staff had a 'charming' attitude whilst going about their duties. I would recommend The Whalers Inn anytime over a 'chain' and they are right in the heart of 'charming' downtown Mystic.

1 Thank bateson49
Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn. We appreciate all your kind words. We hope to welcome you back to the Inn in the future!
Kindest Regards,