“Clean, comfortable & convenient”
Review of The Whaler's Inn

The Whaler's Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Easton, Maryland
“Clean, comfortable & convenient”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had the cozy queen room in the main building, up the stairs on the third floor. The room was plenty big for us, clean and comfortable. The breakfast (included in the room rate) is very good and one of the best we've had with a wide assortment of pastries, muffin-type sandwiches, cereal and fruit. We also enjoyed dining at Bravo Bravo, the restaurant downstairs one evening, which was quite a treat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I should start off by saying that I after looking at pictures of downtown Mystic on the website, I was very excited to stay at the Whaler's Inn. After opening the door to my room, I realized that I should not have gotten my hopes up.

For a little over $200 a night, I did not expect a five star hotel, but I did expect cleanliness in a good location. The location is great, but it seems to me that the Whaler's Inn uses their location as an excuse to slack off on much needed renovations and updates. After pulling up, you will clearly realize that the only thing that you're paying for is the downtown area, because the room was to the point of pathetic. And I will tell you why:

1. There was an overwhelming musty smell that stuck on hair, clothes, etc. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I asked to smell a few of my neighbor's rooms, and their's were just as bad. They don't offer cancellations, so I was out of luck. My allergies flared during the time I was staying there, and I couldn't wait to leave. If you have allergies, asthma, or sensitivity to smells, I would highly recommend staying elsewhere. I checked out the Marriott before leaving and it was just lovely. I will stay there the next time I return.

2. Bedspreads were old and smelled like the room. Actually considered going to a local store to buy fresh blankets, but figured they would smell after putting them into the room. Got an awful night's sleep.

3. Saw several bugs in my room during my stay. They almost blended into the carpeting, so they were difficult to spot. Ants crawling on me in the shower, though too. Since I was only staying a night and am highly against poisons and sprays (I use all natural) I figured I would try my hardest to deal with it until early the next morning, when I packed up as fast as I could.

4. The shower is so tiny, that I was thankful for my petite stature, because if I was any larger I'm certain that I would not have fit. Reminded my of my college dormitory days. Not good

5. Finally, the staff is rude and unfriendly. They acted like it was a huge chore to answer simple questions. Wanted directions to a few places (no concierge), and opted to ask random people than encounter the rude ladies at the desk.

Overall, avoid unhealthy mold, terrible smells, and bugs and stay elsewhere. Mystic is small, it's only a two or three minute drive downtown and there's plenty of parking. Enjoy your cleanliness and large showers at other hotels.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Callie K
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I am incredibly sorry to hear about your experience with us. As we do not seem to have a record of your complaints during stay we urge you to contact us to discuss your stay further. We pride ourselves on our award winning service and cleanliness and would like the opportunity to be able to address the problems with your guestroom.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We pulled into Mystic CT for a wedding near Stonington, CT. We were 3 people looking for place to spend a great weekend. The staff at Mystic handled everything we need from late night directions on where to get cereal to regular maid service. The LOCATION is perfect! Great hotel, great staff!

Room Tip: Have a great time...it will be short.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank theseattlecook
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Best Regards, Nicole
Assistant Innkeeper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Everything about this Hotel is charming. The location, the rooms and the staff. Visited Mystic several times but never stayed but was lucky to do so this past weekend. We had a 'charming' room on the 2nd floor in the Inn. Décor was exactly what I would have expected from the overall appearance of the outside but the staff and breakfast was more than expected. Plentiful fresh choices each morning hosted by 'charming' young lady. The 'charming' front desk staff were so welcoming, knowledgeable and efficient. Even the housekeeping staff had a 'charming' attitude whilst going about their duties. I would recommend The Whalers Inn anytime over a 'chain' and they are right in the heart of 'charming' downtown Mystic.

1 Thank bateson49
Thank you for taking the time to review the Inn. We appreciate all your kind words. We hope to welcome you back to the Inn in the future!
Kindest Regards,
Nicole
Boston
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stay at the Whaler's Inn whenever I am in Mystic, CT. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are spotless and comfortable. I recommend this Hotel to anyone I know that is planning a visit to Mystic. The Whaler's Inn is in the perfect location right in downtown Mystic and within walking distant to everything. I've been coming to Mystic for over 15 years and have never stayed at any other Hotel.

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the main house. Although the rooms in the Hoxie house are fabulous and very rom...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
It is always so wonderful to hear from our previous guests! Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. We hope that we have lived up to all your expectations over the last 15 years and will do our best to keep providing the same superior level of service. We hope to see you soon!
Regards, Nicole
Assistant Manager
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We picked this hotel more or less for its location and because it looked quaint. Our room was in the main building. It is a bit dated, and a little overpriced, but was clean and had character. Continental breakfast was decent. The location is excellent, you can walk to everything. Would stay here again.

Michigan
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I'll start off with what's good, and the only thing that's good: the location. This hotel is in the heart of Mystic, and that is all that's good. The hotel is old and outdated. The staff was rude. When we arrived at 11:00 to check in they told us, without even looking at the computer, that was room wasn't ready. They then, with rudeness in their voice, told us to come back at three. When we came back to check in we were given our room. We opened the door and were immediately hit with a smell. It smelt like must, and old, and the 1800's. The bed spreads were old and disgusting. I bet they've had the same one's since Lincoln was President! The wall paper was peeling as well. The bathroom was teeny tiny! The shower was the size of a phone booth! In the bathroom, every time you turn the light on the vent/fan turns on as well. It makes a loud noise and the whole room shakes like an earthquake. There were also a few ants in the bathroom that creeped us out. The breakfast was just ok. We once asked for a few more pillows because they only gave us 2 on each bed. The staff told us they had no more pillows in the hotel! THE STAFF IS RUDE!!!!! SO RUDE!! They soon came with pillows SO THEY LIED!!! This was the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in! I would rather stay in a Motel Six! I would never recommend this to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Justin W
I can assure you this is not the typical type of review we receive. We are an award winning, independently owned Inn, that strives to provide superior customer service (as you can see from the many positive reviews we receive). I have reviewed your reservation profile and am well aware of the requests for numerous towels, additional sheet sets, and pillows.
In regards to your comment about the 11am check-in, our inn does NOT use a housekeeping computer program. We are an intimate staff that communicates with each other using pen and paper for recording completed rooms. As the room had been occupied the night before we were unable to honor an early check-in. Our check-in time is 3pm and we do convey that to guests in our confirmations, online and at the desk. This time is needed to give departing guests adequate time to depart and housekeeping the appropriate time to clean the room and surrounding areas. As your party of five did not depart until 12:30pm I’m sure you understand this policy. Unfortunately you did not bring any of these concerns to management when you were here. I recommend you do so whenever you stay overnight in a hotel of any kind. Innkeepers and hoteliers want their guests to have only the best possible experience. Your remaining comments and assumptions have been noted.
Regards, Nicole