“Pleased with the Whaler's Inn”
Review of The Whaler's Inn

The Whaler's Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We reserved two king rooms about 2 months prior to our 08/04/12 to 08/10/12 trip.

General:
a) Whaler’s Inn consists of four or five buildings around a central parking lot. The location is excellent, within walking distance of pretty much everything (see photos).
b) Breakfast is decent, consisting of fruit, muffins/pastry, bread items, cereal, etc. (see photos).
c) Usually in the evening, cookies are put out for the guest.

Staff:
No complaints, very friendly attentive employees. Although the manager/owner had to tell the check-out clerk they accepted AARP discount for my parent’s room.

Room:
Comfortable, more than adequate. Beware – there isn’t a mini refrigerator nor a microwave in the rooms at the Noank House; but we really didn’t miss not having these. Also, the bathroom (shower only) exhaust fan is pretty loud when the bathroom light is on (see photos).

Area Restaurants (1 to 5 scale)
Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough (3.5)
Ancient Mariner (3.0)
Cove Fish Market (4.5)
Green Marble Coffee House, Peacock Alley (coffee 4.5, espresso 1.0)
Margarita’s Mexican (3.0)
Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream (coffee 3.0, espresso 3.0, ice cream 4.5, sandwiches 4.5)
Mystic Ice Cream and Sweet Shop (sweets 4.5, espresso 5.0, ice cream 4.5)
Mystic Pizza (3.0) [yeah, it’s famous and so-what]

Attractions:
Mystic Seaport (4.0) [we drove, but easy 20 min walk from motel]

A special nod to the Posh Body and Bath. The counter person (owner-??) was very helpful in recommending things in the area. She was very warm and friendly. Shop is just around the corner from the motel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jeralde
There are newer reviews for The Whaler's Inn

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our last stop on a long trip, and having been disappointed in our previous hotel in Maine, I was really looking forward to a lovely New England inn. Unfortunately, we stayed in the Stonington House, and it was pretty much a motel room, with no light. The beds were not that comfortable, and the air conditioner was incredibly loud. Looking at one of the pictures posted, I realize that there is a part of the inn which is beautiful, but unfortunately, they will not allow families with children in it.

The staff was lovely, and helpful when I could not manage to log in on their wireless. Breakfast was a good continental breakfast, with a delicious coffee cake, bagels, eggs to put on them, some Canadian bacon, and cereal, yogurt, etc. Coffee and tea are always available, which was very nice. The location downtown is fabulous, allowing you to walk to restaurants, shopping, etc.

I would have loved to have loved this inn, but the motel branch just was not what I was expecting.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with kids, you will be unable to stay in what looks like a beautiful inn. I am...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bess M
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our 4th stay at the Whaler's Inn and we will keep coming back. The staff is always welcoming and the rooms are always comfortable. The location cannot be beat for walking or driving to and from via Route 1.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so pack smart or ask for 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G S
Reviewed August 6, 2012

A charming inn right in the middle of everything. The rooms were well appointed. King size bed was comfortable with a couch in the sitting area for lounging. We wished there was a refrigerator to make the room perfect for our needs. Directly across the street is the mystic river park where we danced to live music then headed to S&P Oyster Restaurant for dinner. All shops are in walking distance and the vibe is fun, quaint, and a bit funky all at the same time. We will definitely return.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Whaler's Inn this past weekend, where we had a room in the Hoxie House. The room was lovely. It had all of the charm of a Bed & Breakfast, but with more privacy. The complimentary continental breakfast in the morning was quite good. The location of the hotel was perfect. We were able to walk everywhere we needed. As soon as we arrived, the receptionist gave us a list of restaurants and activities and we were off.

When checking in, please be aware that you may have to walk up a flight or two of stairs. There were no staff members around to help us with our bags. If I knew that in advance, I would have brought a duffel bag instead of a suitcase, for ease of carry.

We did think that the hotel would be better suited for couples or families. Most of the other guests were significantly older than us (I am in my early 30s and my sister is in her 20s).

We would highly recommend every restaurant we went to. S&P Oyster House, across from the hotel was great. Azu had a younger feel and was also delicious, just a short walk from the hotel. Mystic Pizza was a lot of fun. We also went on the schooner day cruise, recommended by the hotel, and it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

August is almost here. Once again my husband and I will be packing our bags and heading to our home away from homeThe Whalers Inn in Mystic Ct. We love staying at the inn. The staff at the inn has become family to us. The rooms are always comfortable and clean.The inn is located on Main Street in Mystic and is covenient to restaurants and shops and many other attractions. I am officially in what I refer to as "Mystic Mode" the closer it gets to our vacation. Once again looking forward to our stay at the inn.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank audden
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place is amazing! I've been to a lot of hotels and inns and this by far tops them all. They are so friendly and genuinely nice people that help you with everything. I remember I called the front desk at like midnight and asked for what was open for food and they gave me names and phOne numbers! It has a great location I would walk to the bagel store around the corner and pick up breakfest every morning!! There's this amazing Mexican place called margaritas which has the best drinks and guacamole ever!!! The aquariums not too far away and Foxwoods is literally 20min away as well!!! At night it's a little quiet which is nice to not have kids around and just adults! I would love to go back! P.s. I'm 21 and I even loved it so no it's not just a family oriented town!

• Stayed: March 2012