“Wonderful Evening”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We ate here on a Friday night. The location is on Main St and they have a restaurant and bar. I had the walnut salmon special - fantastic! I really enjoyed the dish! David enjoyed his Filet Mignon. The prices were good as well, especially the wine list pricing. The price for the food was between two and three dollar signs. The Filet was around $30 and the salmon was around $22. There were plenty of options between $14-24.

What added to the evening was the singer at the bar. She had a wonderful voice and was responsive to the people sitting in the bar. A few were 'happy' and sang along with her and had a few requests. We stayed a bit longer than we normally would have just to listen to the singer.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank drsped

Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Great Food But More Help Needed”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I know this is the off season, but lunchtime is still lunchtime. My wife and I stopped for lunch at this quaint, marine decorated restaurant.
I had one of the best chowders I have ever had and my wife had the French Onion. We shared fish and chips.
The food was outstanding but our waitress was also the bartender, greeter and perhaps washed the windows. We saw no one else there to help her.
She did her job well, but was so busy, she could not really make us feel welcomed and relaxed. It was not her fault, just the circumstances. I would try the place again because the food was so good.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank ROC5535
Matthews, North Carolina
“Expected more...”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Mariner was priced well for the area but the food and service was not. I had the Lobster clambake. The corn tasted almost like cow corn and the clams could not be chewed and swallowed. I spoke to the waitress about the clams but there was no concession made. I think she was surprised that I had given a negative comment My friend watched as the waitstaff gathered in the back and chatted. My friend was also mot thrilled with her scallops or the service. I will not go again.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank CarolinaCruiser50
“Gourmet Potato Skins”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

When I'm in New England all I eat is seafood. And I love to try all the Clam Chowdahs. Ancient Mariners was....well... all others will be measured against theirs now. Full of chopped clams small prices of potato and all the other spices an veggies. I always use the crackers, but not this time, there was no need at all. Now for the Potato skins. OMG, the description on the menu is what intrigued me. When they came and saw the size, thank god there were only two. The nice crispy skin, the warm goat cheese with grilled corn, all topped off with smoked salmon. These are not "bar food" potato skins. I have told every local about them today. Residents you must go ! I WILL be back !

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Kimalott
Naples, Florida
“POOR FOOD QUALITY”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited the Ancient Mariner in Mystic Connecticut on a Friday evening with 2 friends. We sat at the bar for dinner and drinks. While the atmosphere was good the food quality was terrible. I ordered the halibut. What I got was a piece of fish that must have been in the freezer for centuries. Overcooked, dry and had to stab it with my fork to break it apart. One of my friends ordered the spaghetti with clam sauce. The clams, of which he got four, were so large they must have been quahogs. No flavor and tough to eat. If you go, use it as a watering hole to meet eclectic people but stay away from the food.

• Visited September 2013

Been to Ancient Mariner? Share your experiences!