“Step Back in Time”

Whitehall Mansion Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just so you know, the mansion house has physically been moved and now sits in the parking lot of the Marriott hotel. But don't let that deter you. As soon as you step inside you are transported back in time. It's a cozy little place and a delight to stay in for a few nights. The price was so affordable. We stayed there for Christmas Eve and Christmas night. If you don't mind a few haunted spooks in the house, you'll have a wonderful time. Some people experience happenings, many don't. We did encounter some weird things, but nothing so scary we had to leave. It is a cute little place and really makes you feel like you've gotten away to something refreshing and pure.

Room Tip: Lucy's Parlour feels very peaceful, this is where we stayed, request this room. Betsy's Room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anabelle B

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Below you will see mixed reviews about this place. We booked our stay here anyway hoping for the best. We were not disappointed! In our opinion this place is the best of both worlds. The B&B is quaint and has alot of charm. We were really looking for a place to stay that offered more than the usual cookie cutter hotel room. This place fit the bill, plus they give you a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne at check in. Our room was clean, very comfortable, and alot bigger than we anticipated. We had the opportunity to sit in the shared living room with fireplace during our stay and met two very nice couples that shared some wine and conversation with us. It was a nice ending to the day. We retired to our room for the night and the fireplace in early November was very cozy. So best of both worlds you ask??? Well the next morning we woke up, and its true the breakfast served in the B&B is what I would call more of a morning snack, however, the walk to the neighboring hotel for a full breakfast was not as bad as some here make you think (maybe 100 yds tops), and the selection and food was excellent. Now onto staff...everyone was welcoming, nice, and very helpful. Some here had a problem with no staff being onsite at the B&B but we actually found it enhanced the privacy and experience. Don't get me wrong, if you needed something the response was immediate (again only 100 yds away) and done so with a smile.

We would not only recommend this place, but we will return ourselves as soon as we get a chance!

Room Tip: if your staying in cold weather, from what we gathered from other guests, if you like a really, real...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tarm1094
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I have a Paranormal Investigation Team called, "Ghost Magnets with a Twist". We are serious Paranormal researchers. We had heard about activity in this fascinating place & we booked in overnight on the 16th (Nov.) The package was great. For only $112.24 + tax (per person)a group can rent it out. Each guest got a full bottle of wine they could select. Our group had included in our price, 2 pizzas, 2 large bottles of soda, a cheese & cracker platter & a muffin & fruit tray in the morning. There was lots of coffee, a refrigerator & private ice machine. Management provided flashlights, notepads & pens. Justin, at the desk, was a doll & worked with us on reservations. Daniel Owens, the Manager, made sure we were satisfied. For a 200+ year old Inn it is clean ( a must for me) & charming (fireplaces ready in every room). We enjoyed our stay..nothing at all scary happened, but maybe our recorders & cameras will have picked up a ghost. Guestbooks tell great stories!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodbridge suite on the 1st floor. It was roomy & had a connected large lavator...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jfaiella2
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I & my husband had stayed over nite with some friends to have an event there & it is a nice cute small house ment for a newly wed couples & also to investigate there as well & this old family who did live in this house, they don't harm you at all. There is activity but you also don't to upset the atmosphere either. Each room is a real nice size has a working fire place & the one fire place on the 1st floor it is a small living room, it is electric with real flames & boy, it warmed up that house fast! Every room has a painting in it of maybe the family & maybe friends too. The bathrooms of the sinks are up to date but they do strive to keep the old house & stuff in there. Don't forget, this house is 1700 & things don't last forever so they need to strive to keep that house as old as poss. If you want a room that'll be top notch & has service, this isn't the place for you. Either it's a couple or 1 person staying, the inn keeper does not stay in the house so your all alone & they bring a small tray of muffins, bananas & granola bars in the morning because there is no kitchen & it says that on the website but they do suggest to go to residents inn next door because they have a breakfast buffet & it's no charge because your over nite in that house. This house is ment for relaxation or an over nite investigation which we all enjoyed!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Whitehall Mansion is a curiosity. Built in 1771, it is surrounded and administered by a hotel chain. But it stands apart in all respects. The rooms are large and comfortable - ours had a working fireplace - and decorated in a style appropriate to their age. Because the building faces a busy road, the windows are sealed but the air conditioning is unobtrusive.
A bottle of wine and a generous platter of cheese and biscuits awaits you on arrival, but breakfast is nominal and the reception indicated that we would get better fare in the hotel. Suggestion: skip both and find breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ERichmondB
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I reserved the Weekend at Sea package (which was supposed to include two nights in a room with fireplace and jacuzzi tub, wine and cheese, and tickets to the Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium) to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. When I called to make the initial reservation, I was a little concerned when I was told that they could not email me a confirmation for my reservation as they didn't have any way to do that. (In 2013 it is absolutely ridiculous for a hotel to be unable to email a customer, but I digress.) Well, apparently I was right to be concerned, as when my husband and I arrived for our stay, the hotel had no record of our reservation and no vacancy. The hotel is managed by the Marriott Residence Inn next door, and the Residence Inn apparently had no vacancy either. The manager called two or three other places in town to see if anyone had rooms for the night, and the only place with availability was the Comfort Inn (which I'm sure is a very nice hotel but not exactly where I was hoping to spend my anniversary). We were offered absolutely nothing in the way of compensation, not even a token discount on a future stay, and ended up having to cut our weekend short. Needless to say we are extremely angry and disappointed, and will NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KFromMass
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I loved this place so much, my boyfriend and I had to go back. We stayed in the Benjamin chamber. The rooms are all original just like 1771. Floors are warped and beautiful fireplace is in each room for those cold nights. There are modern bathrooms with small jacuzzi tub and television for our convenience. Supposedly this place is haunted by either Lucy Benjamin or Sarah but we did not see anything. But oddly our tv cabinet kept unlocking and opening. Does Benjamin want to watch some tv? Using the fireplace just made for a very romantic evening. They even give you a bottle of wine when you check in so you can relax with a glass or two. In the main parlour, there are cheeses and some wine around 5:00 pm. In the morning they provide some coffee muffins and fruit. If you prefer a bigger breakfast, there is a free hot breakfast buffet in the hotel behind the Whitehall mansion. This is a great place to getaway for the weekend and just feels so homey. Would definitely go back a third time.

Room Tip: Make sure to tell your story in the one of the books in the main room. Many people add their "s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple