“nice, updated version”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mystic Aquarium

Mystic Aquarium
Ranked #3 of 33 things to do in Mystic
More attraction details
Owner description: Journey into the aquatic world at this combination tourist attraction and research facility, where every underwater creature is more amazing than the last. Exhibits put you in close proximity to whales, penguins, sea lions and a 30,000-gallon tank, where exotic fish from around the world strut their stuff.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Waterbury, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“nice, updated version”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I haven't been to the aquarium since my children we're little, many moons ago. It is actually very nice and staff are always willing to talk to you or offer assistance. I wish I'd spent more time in the Titanic building, so much to see.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“breath taking moments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Well worth a visit just for the beluga whale.A bit expensive and you have to pay extra for the 4D show which was very good, but worth it.

Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great family place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I went to the aquarium in February and has such a great time. I got the value ticket where I had admission into the 4-D theater, and it was worth the extra money! I also really liked seeing the sea lion show, and the whale feeding time. I can't wait to go back in the warmer weather and pack a picnic lunch!

St Kilda, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A little bit of everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took the kids to the Mystic Aquarium on one of the last warm days (low 50's) in the fall 2012. I like this aquarium much better than the aquarium in Boston!

Convenient, FREE, parking. Easy to get to.

A nice assortment of outside exhibits and indoor exhibits. So it's better to visit on a warm, dry day.

Plenty of friendly staff eager to tell the kids all about the animals they are looking at. The kids really enjoyed the sea lion show. What amazing animals. We watched the beluga whales during a training/feeding session. They are such graceful creatures. My son loved the Titanic exhibit. The exhibit does a great job telling the story of the people who were onboard that doomed ship.

We will definitely be returning this spring!

Visited November 2012
Agawam, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“small but worth the trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Last summer we tried to visit the aquarium on a rainy day during a beach trip; when we saw the line of people waiting to get tickets and couldnt find a parking space, we changed our minds. We decided to visit the aquarium in the off season (we visited in early March) and I am glad we waited.
Perhaps because it had snowed in the morning the place was practically empty. The aquarium is so enjoyable when you can linger as long as you want at each tank or exhibit and not feel like you are blocking someone's view. When we were at the Ray and Shark Touch tank there were only two other families around the large tank. At one of the classrooms;which normally would have been packed with children, the staff member invited us to join him as he had no one in his classroom and he related a wealth of information on the all the crabs and baby alligators in there. We all agreed that watching the beluga whales; (who definetly are curious people watchers) was the highlight of the trip. A close second was the sea lion show.
The only part that we felt was not worth the time or money (an extra $6) was the 4D show. The times say 2pm to 3pm; making it seem as if you are paying for an hour movie; not so ; the movie was around 15 minutes and was on a smaller than expected screen.
All in all, I would recommend an "off season" tour of the aquarium to avoid the crowds. Try to pick a "warm" winter day; as many of the exhibits require walking outside from building to building and the belugas and penquins are viewed from the outside.