“Best weekend all year”
Review of Winvian

Winvian
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Morris
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed during fall peak foliage time for our 'babymoon' (time period before a new baby). We had high expectations because of what we've read (and the price) but were still blown away. We stayed in the log cabin, which was quiet, clean, luxurious, and so incredibly relaxing. All of the cabins, with very few exceptions, seemed to be isolated enough to grant privacy, but not so much so that you feel separated from the resort.
The food was phenomenal. That was one thing we didn't expect. Neither one of us our foodies, but it was still the best food we've both had, ever. Period. Our Saturday went as follows: Wake up, make a fire, read some, walk to breakfast, enjoy breakfast, walk back, stoke fire, read, cuddle, walk to lunch, enjoy lunch, walk back, stoke fire, read, etc....
I can't say enough about Winvian. The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating and did a great job of making our stay that much more enjoyable (not that there was much to do on their part).
We look forward to going again next year.

Room Tip: The tree house had steep stairs that may be a bit sketchy in a rain storm or at night. Keep in mind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew B

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The food was unbelievable, the service was impeccable. Our accommodations were nicely maintained and so unique. We stayed in the Library Cottage. Room service was perfect, as was the spa. I recommend the all inclusive package as well. We loved the privacy of our own cottage and loved the bikes too. Amazing, amazing trip and we'll most certainly be back.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We walked out the front door of The Beaver Cottage at Winvian, tired and dissappointed. I would like to say that the staff was very friendly and the gorunds are very pretty. Our cottage itself was very beautifully designed and decorated. Unfortuantely our first afternoon inside we discovered a large mouse scamper through the bathroom into the bedroom. Staff was very attentive and claimed they "caught it' when we were at dinner only for us to discover another one crawling up the trees in the room, acorn in mouth!! I was so on edge from the mouse sightings I did not sleep well and only left the bed to use the bathroom. True the resort is in the woods but we signed on for a 5 star resort at thousands of dollars per night and did not expect to see critters in the room. As we have at our house, a pest control service should spray the foundation and bait traps should be scattered throughout. Holes surrounding the trees jutting through the roof and in the bath should be completely closed up and properly fitted.
The food was excellent quality but portions were too small. The dinner menu had only 3 selections each night. The first night, the choices were rabbit, halibut and duck. A restaurant should not have rabbit if only 3 selections. The minibar in the room only had drinks, no food and there was only a skimpy cheese plate in between meals if one was hungry. One guest we chatted with was hungry after dinner and the hostess offered to give her a banana!
There is no Japanese Spa (Twin Farms) or large community area with bar, pool table, comfy seating. There are a few small rooms in the old main house with a pool table and drinks available.
We went off campus to kayak one day and highly recommend this. The Bantam River and Lake were worth the trip!
Priced like Twin farms but this really is not Twin Farms. The grounds are pretty but something is missing...

Room Tip: Beaver has mice in room. Room not well sealed so mice get in through the trees in the room and hole...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dalocopa
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We liked almost everything about Winvian, as the other reviewers have attested to. Inexplicably, however, it does not have a swimming pool - huge drawback in the summer months. Versus the Mayflower, it is more stylish and fun, but the Mayflower edges it out by having wonderful indoor and outdoor pools, and a far superior spa environment. Winvian, how about a pool??

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bebe38
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had stayed at Winvian numerous times on business. Each and every time, I dreamt of bringing my family. This past summer, I finally did.

I surprised my husband and my 11 year old son. As we pulled up to the lush, majestic grounds, we were let through the gate and greeted by the General Manager, Paolo. He graciously and warmly greeted us as if we were staying in his own home. As much as my husband and son wanted to stay in the main building to chat with Paolo and to play shuffle board and pool, I couldn't wait to get them back to the Treehouse.

As we drove up, my son was speechless (doesn't happen often) and my husband just kept repeating the same word "WOW" over and over and over again! My husband loved inspecting all of the construction that went into making this such an authentic treehouse with all the attention to detail. My son loved wandering around the property comparing all the different cottages and recognizing that he was probably in the coolest one!

We rode our bikes to dinner. Dinner was divine. My husband had the octopus two ways and the turbot. I had the beet salad and filet. My son had filet. I wish had taken photos of the food. The presentation was stunning. Beautifully designed, artistic presentations. And best of all, each bite was more succulent than the last.

Following dinner, we rode our bikes back in the dark. The sky was so clear and the stars were so bright that it seemed like we could touch them. It makes you feel like you are in a much more remote location.

When we returned to the Treehouse, my son couldn't wait to simultaneously take a jacuzzi bath, watch sports next to a wood burning fire place. Then jump out of the tub and into the steam shower! Not a bad way to end a long day.

The next morning was bitter sweet. It was hard to leave such a magnificent location, but we were departing on our 14 hour drive...leaving on Cloud 9. We had the amazing french toast for breakfast, Took a look at a couple different cottages and selected our cottage for "next time"....the Helicopter.

On that trip, we will take advantage of so many other things that the property has to offer, such as horseback riding, fishing, kayaking, and most importantly, utilizing that amazing spa!

Room Tip: I have personally seen every room on the property and can vouch that you can't go wrong with any...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CorpPlanner_11
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My stay at Winvian, located in Litchfield Hills, Connecticut, provided a brief respite from New York City while triggering a severe case of wanderlust. The property is beautiful. Dotted with cottages reminiscent of the fairy tale “Hansel and Gretel,” Winvian will transport you to a different era, depending on your lodging. I stayed one night in Industry and was swept away to an industrious town where housing included steam showers and Jacuzzi tubs. My cottage also included a large bedroom and living room with a wood-burning fireplace.

Cottages at Winvian include two complimentary bicycles for use on the property. I took full advantage of the two-wheel transportation and toured the property that has two ponds, a spa and other jaw-dropping cottages (i.e. Tree House). Winvian also has a farm with an assortment of fruits and vegetables that are used in the restaurants offerings. I gorged on green tomatoes, potatoes and fish expertly prepared by a team of friendly chefs I met while forging for raspberries. Rustic amenities don’t come cheap so be prepared for the expense, but also be prepared for a relaxing stay in the country.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank limajt91279
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife booked this as a surprise birthday present for me. It didn't disappoint.

From the outside it presented a conventional New England red-barn-style frontage. Open the door and there is a great big US Coastguard helicopter parked in the livingroom. Didn't see that coming.

My two year old son and I played pilot on it most or the time, couldn't stop laughing about it.

Oh yes, it also came with a comfortable bed, mood lighting, huge jacuzzi bath, steamroom, beautiful grounds, superb food and excellent service. Plus bikes.

Novelty but with great style, a one-off for the traveler who thinks he's seen it all.

Room Tip: Check out the other rooms on their website, each one has a different theme.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank deadwing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morris
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
Hampton Inn Waterbury
Hampton Inn Waterbury
#1 of 8 in Waterbury
Avon Old Farms Hotel

Been to Winvian? Share your experiences!