“Unique and Memorable.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Morris
Peony93
“Unique and Memorable.”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We visited Winivian to celebrate our 10th anniversary 2 years ago. Since Trip Advisor does not have the scroll down option farther than a year I had to pick the last available option.
The reason why we chose this place was that our honeymoon was celebrated in India 10 years ago travelling through houseboat, a resort with caveroom, tree house and a cabin on its own tiny island. Our plan was to relive those exact footsteps but with 2 small kids we did the next best thing and do some research.
Luckily for us just 4 hours of drive to CT and a unique resort set in the heart of wooded area is this gem of a place which had all that we wanted and more. Upon our arrival we were given a tour of all properties. Immediately we changed our mind from the cave cottage style cabin into the green room cabin because it was exactly how we envison fun style living to be.

We stayed there for 4 nights and changed everday helping us to experience different experiences without having to do much! They happily shifted our luggage, crib and other items without a fuss. They made every morning, noon and night special. Whether it was helping a picnic basket in the meadows, adapting to our vegetarian options. Providing our kids with games or the complimentary mercedes suv to just move around locally. We also used the bicycles that were put outside our rooms.

We also stayed in charter oak, tree house and were thrilled with the joie de vivre of exploring and constant sense of discovery. Our kids were lot in their world of story telling, camping and board game activities that kept them involved all through. Our daughter who dreams of growing up to be an architect had new found respect to the possibilities of what minds can achieve. The feeling of being somewhere while being nowhere is expertly achieved while supplying us with homegrown salads, delicious pasta dishes and breathtaking soups! There has to be special mention of the deserts that the kitchen can whip up. My husband ordered our anniversary cake and it has to be told that it was as grand as a wedding cake with all the decorations and hoopla that we felt humbled to enjoy. It was a masterpiece.

The front desk smelled of fresh peonies, there is a sense of style with classic touches here. There is peace. If you want to take your family to middle of country but still need wifi,good food and AMAZING bathrooms with sauna and high class showers then look no further!

The furniture, views,beds and overall ambience is impressive considering that which ever cabin you are there is a genuine soul of that theme. Even though all of these cabins are not that far from each other.

Room Tip: Take a tour before you make your mind.
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Peony93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Queens, New York
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was our second stay at Winvian; and definitely NOT our last. We celebrated a birthday and stayed one night. The Property is so unique. Each cottage a wholly different experience. This year we chose to stay in the Woodlands (last year the Beaver). The staff is so pleasant and have the incredible knack to be around when you need them but otherwise we felt like we were alone, just the two of us, which is EXACTLY how we wanted to celebrate the 24 hours of escape from reality. The spa and particuclarly the couples massage was (once again) exceptional. I highly recommend it. The hotel was so accomodating with our Kosher dietary requests. They made us feel comfortable and relaxed from the moment of check in until the GWB (hours after we left for home) and even assisted (repeatedly) with my ineptitude at maintaining a strong bed-side fire in the cottage. No request was too great or too small. It was a pleasure meeting one of the owners, Winthrop, while chilling in the Great House having a drink (fireside, of course) and playing a game of pool. We can't wait to celebrate future special ocassions here again...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveJerusalem
new york city
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We found this property off the Relais Chateaux website and it was a wonderful experience...we stayed in the Woodlands. A themed room like this anywhere else could have come off as cheesy, but the details were so beautiful it felt like you were staying in a storybook. From the high, lofted ceiling to the waterfall shower....to the rocking chairs on the back deck and the bikes out front....there were perfect little touches. I absolutely loved the food (and completely disagreed with the last post). I thought it was on par with some of the nicest restaurants I have been to in NY. Every time we asked for something (whether it was for the fire to be lit, or to have room service instead of going to the main house), everyone was extremely gracious and accommodating. The only complaint I would have is that there really isn't much to do in Morris. If you are looking for complete and utter peacefulness/respite from the day-to-day world, this is your place. Adventure, you should probably try and find elsewhere :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank elisaabcnews
California
Reviewed October 16, 2010

The hype and the website had me really excited about Winvian in the Litchfield Hills. Despite my disappointment, it is worth going to for one night, off-season, mid-week and when the rate is a la carte, because of the interesting cottages.

They have a myriad of activities available to do, and every cottage has its own bicycles to ride
The newly completed (2008) farm's cottages, some of which are clustered quite close together, are immaculately clean inside.

My favorites in order of desirability (my personal preference) were:

Hadley Suite because it is very spacious (although it is located right over one of the dining rooms and may be noisy), and I adored the bedroom, luxurious bathroom, living room and study area.

Stone Cottage because there are lots of windows in the small space, and it is all by itself and feels wonderfully cozy. It also has a fabulous bathtub and shower with lots of windows, which makes it very nice and toally private because of the greenery..

Connecticut Yankee (King Arthur) which is visually adorable and quite cozy for one person (although two people may find themselves unable to manuever easily in the tight spaces around the furniture or in the wet bar and bathroom area.)
I did find the seat in the shower quite uncomfortable because of the rough stone, and there is no shampoo niche to put your shampoo or conditioner or soap, etc. The bath and shower amenities were the smallest I'd ever seen.
I had to ask for washcloths, and the towels were thin and rough. The heated floor took 12 hours to actually heat up to feeling good underfoot.

The internet was not working in my cottage during my stay, so the managers kindly allowed me to set up in one of their offices so that I could work there.

As per the property as a a whole, I was disappointed for many small reasons. My expectations at the price I paid which was $1,700 per night all-inclusive before taxes and service, were very let down.

(Square footages on the website are baffling somehow, although it may refer to exterior footprint. None of the cottages inside feel larger than approximately 600 square feet inside, maybe because the furniture takes up so much space.)
I've stayed in 850 - 1,200 square foot rooms/suites that felt spacious and wonderful to me at other properties such as San Ysidro Ranch and Lake Placid Lodge and Blantyre.
But at Winvian, the cottages were attractive to look at with regard to the interiors, but felt claustrophobic and small to me once inside.

Regrettably, in direct contradiction to their 5 star status, lots of corners are being cut everywhere, from the thin bath towels to the one ply toilet paper to the miniscule amenities to the lack of fresh flowers in the rooms to the threadbare napkins in the dining room, to the cold pastries at breakfast and pre-cut fruit, to the the main house in dire need of painting & caulking, and to the exterior screened porches on the cottages that desperately need to be winterized with (removable) glass panel inserts so they are usable in the colder snowy months.

I had an excellent salad and pasta for lunch.
Dinner however consisted of a watery virgin bloody mary, a tough tenderloin, and ONE lonely little beignet on a plate for dessert (although it was a delicious beignet, But just one? Really?)

My breakfast napkin was threadbare and had a large hole in it. At a newly opened 5 star property???

The pastry/cold cereal offering for breakfast was not worthy of a 5 star property, but rather a Hilton or Marriott.
There was no butter on my table, and when I asked for some, it was refrigerator cold, which does not taste good. Plus that makes it hard to spread.
The small pastries were cold too, rather than freshly baked and warm from the oven, which is something you would expect from a 5 star kitchen. Although the small croissants WERE quite nicely flaky.
I requested scrambled eggs and they were the worst I'd ever had, with the consistency of lukewarm baby food. The bacon was good though.
My coffee cup was never refilled.

Managers Nick and Paolo were very very nice, but service from the other employees is a bit inept otherwise. Willing and pleasant but not polished or efficient.

It's an attractive property, with mostly ungroomed landscaping, close to a road so there are a few cottages that will hear road noise at night if they keep their windows open.

No particular view to speak of, other than the nice lawn and surrounding woods. The property feels like a ten acre property altogether, so the other 123 acres must be forest.

I didn't try the spa, but it looks quite nice from the outside.

From my personal perspective as a luxury travelere at boutique properties :
At $650 a la carte (for the tier one rate) per night per cottage, this price would be justifiable for an evening's stay at Winvian.

At $950 a la carte (for the tier two rate), it really becomes debatable in terms of value received in exchange for value paid..

However any more than that, including any of the '$1,700 per night all-inclusive' packages before tax & service (which really means the alcoholic beverages are free) and I think you are throwing your money away.

Be aware that children are allowed during all holiday weekends, so their normal policies do not apply during these times. There was a table of two boisterous fussy children that made themselves heard throughout the whole length of one of the lovely window bedecked areas for lunch - very unfortunate at these prices, and not at all conducive to a romantic or tranquil escape.

Perhaps you can see if they will upgrade your room tier to a tier two cottage or tier three cottage without charging you more if the occupancy rates are low mid-week and off-season.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
17 Thank CinderellaDearest
Columbus, OH
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at Winvian to celebrate our anniversary. We were not disappointed. The property was lovely, the room was superb and the service was impeccable. We stayed in the Connecticut Yankee cottage, which was designed to evoke the feel of King Arthur's court: lots of stone, heavy wood furniture, thick red velvet drapes, fireplace, etc. It was delightful.

The room had a huge double overhead shower constructed to feel like Stonehenge, with steam bath and jacuzzi. There was also an in-room ice maker, coffee service, refrigerator and wood fireplace (the staff would come each evening and light it for us with turndown sevice). The king-sized bed was extremely comfortable.

The food at the hotel restaurant was excellent, and the homemade pastries and breads were just terrific. After venturing out for a number of (very easy) hikes in the adjacent nature preserve, we treated ourselves to a visit to the spa, which was very zen-like and relaxing.

A couple of minor complaints: we weren't able to get a usable wifi signal from our room, so we had to head to the main house to use our laptops. Also, one of the local shopping attractions listed in the binder of information in the room ("Scrollin' in the Woods") went out of business three years ago, which we discovered after a 45 minute drive to visit. We were also a bit surprised there weren't more guests (we stayed mid-week) but we felt like we had the place virtually to ourselves.

We had a fantastic, relaxing visit and, although it's pricey, we would highly recommend Winvian.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I just spent a weekend at Winvian with my wife celebrating my birthday. The property is beautiful, as is the area (lots of opportunities to hike, bike, canoe, and engage in many other outdoor activities), As beautiful as the cottages are (we stayed in Library, which was terrific, with high ceilings, big stone fireplace, screened-in porch, large glass-enclosed shower with incorporated tub), the service was even better. Everyone is friendly, and offers to help in any way they can - and they mean it. The staff will do anything from setting up a "bonfire" outside your cottage for roasting marshmallows, to setting up activities off-property with all details taken care of. Nick, who is the guest services coordinator (sorry, Nick - not sure of you "official" title) seemed to be everywhere, offering assistance, but did so without being intrusive. In short - Nick and the entire staff did a fantastic job.

The only "issues" during the weekend occurred during our saturday night dinner - the wrong meals were brought out; part of our dessert was knocked over by the waiter and was not replaced (though we hardly needed more food), and despite advance planning scouting by my wife, the birthday candle was in her dessert instead of mine. Throughout the evening, however, mistakes were corrected with a smile, and none of this came close to spoiling a great weekend.

The food overall is excellent, as are the spa services.

Yes - Winvian is extremely pricey, but for those willing/able to spend the money, Winvian does deliver close to perfection.

As an aside - we are told that the website will soon offer better visuals of the individual cottages, which each are quite unique. Also - the resort may soon be building an indoor/outdoor pool.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JasBoston_MA
greenwich, CT
Reviewed April 12, 2010

TIm Burton meets the Four Seasons.

This eclectic but amazingly wonderful place is without question one of the most romantic and unique get-aways I have ever experineced. Not far from NYC, all of the units are individually designed One-bedroom, one bath homes that create a fantasy like setting for the perfect weekend. Aside from knock-your-socks off accomodations, the restaurant is literally right up there with Zagat 26+ NYC restaurants (seriously), the Spa was amazing, its quiet, there are only a limited numbe of guests and the staff can not be any more accomodating.

Is it expensive? Yes and no. It cost a lot of money, but since we didn;t fly to an island and had such a fantastic time, I'd have to say it's relatively a good value (but again, not cheap). However, you get what you pay for.

If you love Vegas, this is not for you, If you love Cap Juluca, Parrott Kay, The Wequasett Inn or others of that Ilk, this is more in line - but with a TIm Burtonesque twist to it. I mean really, who thinks of these things!!!!!

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markfishercbre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morris
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa
Homestead Inn
Homestead Inn
#1 of 3 in New Milford
Courtyard Waterbury Downtown

Been to Winvian? Share your experiences!