“Tula Loo Loo....of a waiter!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Tula Restaurant & Lounge
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
northeast
“Tula Loo Loo....of a waiter!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Okay - have been to Tula four times in the past 4 months. Had to take the time for a review after last night's experience. Without a doubt, there is a great need for some good restaurants in the Trumbull/ Monore area. Tula's food is slighlty above average compared to what is available in this area.

However, there are a few things to be aware of overall -- number one, parking is tight, but they do have free valet service on weekends. When you enter the restaurant, expect it to be LOUD - no matter where you sit and that the space in the dining area is rather tight. They do earn kudos for the nice decor and design- right down to the bathrooms! Whoever they hired to design, picked great colors and comfy chairs! Now we need to talk to whoever did the hiring of staff...

The valet guys- great - personable- hard working! Hostess- pleasant - very young so not too effective. Waiters: This is the 4th time here as I noted and the 4th time our waitstaff service was not up to par. I was especially annoyed when I just sat down to eat my leftovers from last night for lunch and see that the waiter only put my entree in the tin and not my vegetable or sweet pototoe fries as I had asked!

Okay the waiter- rather flippant. He came over right away to take drink orders, yet we were not ready to order- when he came back - he made it known he was annoyed... same thing with entree orders-- Which he had to return to our table twice to verify the order- just write it down in the first place!

Two major things occurred last night. There was a skewar mixed in with my husband's salad. We told the bus boy since suave waiter not around... The bus boy was extrememly apologetic and said it was used for their wraps and must have fallen in.. and said he'd tell the waiter-- His response?? "well, that's good that you didn't swallow it" and walked away. When he served the cold coffee, he spilled an entire glass of water - which ended up in my crotch and all over the pant leg of my friend. His response? "at least it wasn't the coffee! "... and walked away!!! NO APOLOGY!!!

With 2 such incidences- a skewar in the food and a wet patron-- they should have had management come over to apologize or at least offer us coffee on the house. But no. That is bad business if you ask me! He barely acknowledged! The hostess was nowhere to be found as we exited for us to complain.

The food- trendy- same menu no changes in a long time- a few specials- which were okay. When one of the gentleman in our party asked if the lobster roll was hearty/large portion- he was told absolutely! When it came - we were all shocked!! It was not in a roll -- just atop some toast- tasty but very small portion, Also it came with a side salad. My friend asked for a ceaser salad instead and the waiter firmly said "well, no, we can't do that - just a side salad and you can have balsamic vinagrette" My friend said what other dressings? He orders some creamy dressing and the salad comes with the vinagrette. There is no reason he could not have a ceaser salad- he was willing to pay for it! That is crazy. The waiter was a jerk.

Other menu items - I love the black bean burger- very good. The pork chop milanese was a good portion and nicely prepared. Beet Salad a fave- The squash ravioli tasty. Tenderloin nicely prepared. Some nice options. Just hard to read cause the text on the menu is very small-- All the coffees were cold - he did bring freshly brewed coffee back to us...

They have an outdoor patio with fireplace which was nice in the summer.. but near the road with traffic... Not sure what their goal is - more a bar scene? or dining? In my opinion, not the place to take kids at night - definite mixed crowd from 20 to 60 year olds. I think trying to be trendy. They take reservations which I highly reccommend making ahead of time.

So to sum up, for the area- good food. good drinks. Dining room tight and VERY loud- too loud- music from bar playing way too loud.... Waiters not great. Screw ups with selections. Attitude - let's remind the staff just that- they are waiters! Drop the attitude. It's Monroe! Bad wait staff can ruin the night and experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank boatboat

“One of the best in the area...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Tula has definitely brought some restaurant life to an area sorely needing it. While the food is consistently good - sort of a mixed bag - the one criticism I will give is the menu needs a change. While its been about a month since we were there last, I don't think it's changed since they opened. that being said, it's still one of the best in the area.

Trumbull, Connecticut
“Continues to shine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

With great expectations, I attended the opening of Tula's and was not disappointed. Now many months later, I continue to be delighted with the food, service, decor and entertainment. While I could make an entire meal out of the unbelievably delicious breadsticks that are presented promptly at the start of your dinner, the menu holds too many tempting options to do so. My personal favorite in the tuna tartare which comes with homemade potato chips. The outside patio has been designed to be cozy and comfortable. You barely realize you are sitting yards from Route 25. I am lucky to have this gem in my neighborhood.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Felner5
Connecticut
“Nice performance by newcomer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Attended a group function here on a Monday night. I wanted to try the new restaurant but had heard it was pricey. Our group got a fixed price dinner for $25 which was a great value for all the food included. They served us family style for bread, salad, pasta and individually for our entrees. Entree choices were great, either fish or steak. I got the mahi which was very nicely prepared with a mango salsa over coconut rice. Very yummy. I believe we got dessert as well but can't remember what it was. The hostess quickly found more chairs when our party was larger than expected. Our waiter was clearly a very experienced take charge guy who managed the large group extremely well (and had a great sense of humor, as well!). Very nice outside dining area looking off into the woods. I only realized we were on Rte 25 when a truck went past. I would return with husband for a date night, although, not on a Sat. I heard they have a one hour wait sat nights

New Haven, Connecticut
“Tula la”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is one of those place you drop into with middling expectations andd you leave vowing to return soon. And it's not just the French Fries -- which somehow are the best I've ever had! -- It's the whole presentation. Excellent, knowledgeable service Delicious food (even for vegetarians) and your choice of indoor or al fresco dining at dinner or lunch. This restaurant opened strong and has stayed consistenly at the top of the heap (not just in their own hometown.)

• Visited June 2012