“A recent arrival in the area becomes a pleasant surprise!”
Review of Tavern

Tavern
Ranked #8 of 60 Restaurants in Monroe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Newtown, Connecticut
“A recent arrival in the area becomes a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I the past few years, this building has housed several different food venues, from Mexican to American chic, Tavern has clearly brought culinary expertise on a special level. Their menu is diverse yet simple and unique, thanks to their executive chef Milton Curillo. They have brought the taste of a couple other successful CT restaurant's to Tavern, those being The Cookhouse in New Milford and The Inn at Newtown, an upscale eatery in the shadow of the town's famous flagpole. Tavern's menu will surely offer something hard to find in this area of CT.

I had the pleasure of dining at Tavern with family earlier this week, enjoying their Blackened Mahi sandwich and a sampling of their Dublin Dip, a pleasant sandwich featuring guiness braised beef with cheese au jus. Having just returned from a couple months in the Keys, I can say that their quality and presentation of my meal was on a par with the better grills on the Gulf.

They offer meals ranging from $12-20, and their kids meals menu is a consistent $7. The atmosphere is one of bar and grill, but clean and spacious enough to dine out of site of the bar area. Their appetizers and meals can be enjoyed with a significant variety of beers and specialty drinks.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Rick M
Robert R, Owner at Tavern, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Rick- We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal. We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Blackened Mahi sandwich and the Dublin Dip! Thank you for your business. We hope to see you again soon!

Connecticut
“Great Bar and comfort food”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We sat at the bar to enjoy their cocktails and the NCAA games. The bartender was nice and fast. I ordered Mahi Mahi tacos and they were delicious. The space at the bar area is spacious. I really enjoy the night.

Robert R, Owner at Tavern, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear AkirePR,
Thank you for the great review! We are glad that you enjoyed your night and we hope to see you again soon.
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Tasty Comfort Food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have lunch at Tavern every few weeks and also visit for drinks with friends on occasion. I have found the food to be very good - tasty tavern food that is well-prepared. I recently had the fish tacos which were delicious. Roomy bar area with a nice selection of beers.

• Visited February 2014
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Hoping for more, service was very slow”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Arrived on a busy Friday night with my boyfriend. We had read poor reviews on yelp but decided to disregard and try anyway. Although we sat quickly for a busy night, we sat with our menus for at least 20 minutes before our waitress took our order. Appetizers took about 25 minutes to come out. It seemed like they had potential to be great if they were delivered to us when they were ready. They weren't at all hot and we ordered the grilled cheese board, bread was soggy. My drink sat empty for quite some time before waitress took my glass, without even offering another. I had to call waitress over and order another drink. I ordered a salad for dinner and my boyfriend had the Dublin brisket sandwich. Both items were just okay....at this point we were more annoyed at anything at the length of time everything took. We couldn't even get a quick water delivered when we asked. Our water delivery took 20 minutes too! A gentleman who seemed like the manager popped his head in our area a few times, but more to check availability of tables rather than recognize what the state of the customers already seated was. Very frustrated to see him walk around and set a new place smiling, when certainly weren't smiling about our experience. Would not return to Tavern for date night or any night!!
Has potential but the managers clearly need to get a few things in order.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Blackrockkate
Robert R, Owner at Tavern, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Blackrockate,
First, we want to apologize for this experience that you had. Second, we appreciate you speaking up about your concerns. It is very important to us to satisfy our guests and ensure that they have a good experience. We assure you, that normally our service is much better than what you have described. We do encourage you to give us another shot sometime in the future.
“great food......excellent value.”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I visited The Tavern twice last month. Food and service were excellent on both occasions. My wife had the Chicken Quesadilla and reckons it's the best she has ever had.Nice warm atmosphere, great for couples or families.
Will visit again soon.

• Visited December 2013

Been to Tavern? Share your experiences!