“Good place to stay - clean comfortable room”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Milford/New Haven
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Milford
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This motel is very good.

While it could do with a bit of updating, the room was excellent. Also nice breakfast included in the very reasonable price. I stayed here on the last night of my 3 month holiday in the USA and Canada and would gladly recommend.

There is also a nice pizza place up the road run by some friendly Italians (just past the Westfield mall).

Only downsides were stinky lift/corridors (cigarette smoke) but this smell was not in the room. Also carrying luggage from the carpark down to lobby and up to room was definitely awkward as it was some distance between car and room. But these are fairly minor things.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hotel - Milford/New Haven

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stay here all the time - relatives came from puerto Rico and spent a few days there- a bit disappointed that the rates went up a few dollars from last year but I did notice some renovations and flat screen TVs in our rooms ... The indoor pool was great wish they would reopen the outside pool...

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have stayed here many times over the years and they have been consistent in giving clean, comfortable rooms as weel as great customer service. I highly recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed 3 nights. Comfy beds, clean linens and towels, clean bathroom, flat screen tv. Needs new pillows- I always bring my own. Room could use more minor detail cleaning and updated carpeting. Certain other areas of the hotel could use some freshening up of the decor. Hotel staff were ok, pool is good, location is great- 3 miles from Silver Sands Park, nice mall with movie theater down the street, plenty of places to eat next door and nearby, close to I95, 20 min. To New Haven. Overall my stay was good.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank lowtie
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I booked this hotel since I was advised not to stay in Bridgeport and I was on my way back to Maine. Didn't want to drive another 4hrs. My 9yr and I walked in. The was an old smell. The guy at the dest was wearing a dirty over sized t-shirt and jeans.. I booked a non smoking room. Our walk to our room was scary and discusting. The halls smelled like smoke, weed, mold and other smells.. The elevator smelled amd was creepy. Made noises when it's going. We got to our room and it reeks of smoke and there were burn marks everywhere. The bed spread has a hugh stain on it. There was only 1 light in the whole room that worked. I went back to the front desk and told the guy he either had to give me a room that has NOT been smoked in or give me my money back.. He gave me an "upgrade" he said. I was put in a business class room. The elevator doesn't go to the 5th floor so I had to carry my bags up the smelly stair well. The room you could tell was not cleaned properly. there was dust and dirt in plain sight. Splater or something on the lamp shade and walls.I couldn't have the patio door opened cause the railing was too wobbly. The wireless kept cutting out. The bed was too soft and the walls were paper thin. About 11:30pm I was rocked awake. My bed and rocking and my head board were banging and the couple in the next room were screaming soo loud they might as well of been in my room on my bed. Thank God they didn't wake my child. When I asked to talk to management in the morning it was like talking to the wall.. I told her about the splatter and she said new lamp shades were coming. When I mentioned about the paper thin walls and wild night next door she tells me, "There is a family in that room. I can't see that happening in there." I told her I didn't care who was in the room that I would have rathered slept in my car in the middle of no where then have slept in that hotel.. the bedding was yellow and so were the towels. I was actually afraid to shower. I felt so dirty. My child wanted to swim but I was afraid to let her incase she caught something from the pool. I would NEVER tell my worest enemy to stay there..

Room Tip: Do Not Stay There
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My first impression was so-so. The man behind the counter was very unprofessional (larger Puerto Rican descent, I think) and seemed miserable to be working there. The elevator not only made noises but reeked of cigarette smoke and other odors. The ceiling in the bedroom had cracks like there was a water leak and the walls were paper thin. I could hear my neighbor's entire conversation and their crying baby. There were pubic hairs on the toilet and tub which tells me that the bathroom was not cleaned properly. THEN...the neighbors began to smoke - not only was it in the non-smoking area of the hotel, but it was marijuana. The smell began to seep through the walls and it was disturbing to know they were smoking with a child in the room as well. Being that none of the windows opened, the smoke was not circulated and began to seep into my room. I gathered my things and went down to the front desk to confront the man again. I expressed my concern and disgust for the marijuana smoking, especially with the child in there. He expressed no concern or desire to check or call the authorities.

I highly advise AGAINST this particular hotel. While location and price are great, the service is poor, the hotel's appearance and room upkeep is unacceptable, and I felt dirty walking out of there.

DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband, his sons and I recently spent three days at this motel, while house hunting. The price was right and location was important. It wasn't bad, but not great either. If that makes sense! Some people in previous reviews complained about the "unprofessional" staff. No problem for me. They just seems laid back and real. Not sugary and phoney. When we booked our room, they said they upgraded us. The room was large, but the beds were queens. I guess that is why the room appeared so big! Just kidding. It was a large space, which worked well for two adults and two teen boys (who like many teens, don't always get along.) Back to the queens. For growing boys they really didn't work. After a lot of nightime fussing, we finally had to order a cot. Also, as someone with back troubles, the mattresses were a bit too soft for me. There was a microwave and fridge. The fridge was located in an odd area of the room, but it was large. There seemed to be a lack of electrical outlets making charging cells and other electronics problematic. Also, this is actually a big negative. Our room had no area to hang clothes. Thankfully, we weren't going to a formal event. On the last morning the toilet clogged. We phoned maintenance. After waiting over almost two hours, we phoned again. Only to be told that maintenance didn't arrive until 9 a.m. Why couldn't they have told us this information when we phoned in the problem? Also, the Howard Johnson's website for this location featured photos of a breakfast area. When we asked about it at the front desk, they told us it didn't exist... That was one of the reasons why we had chosen this location.

On the positive side, there is a nice indoor swimming pool. I didn't swim, but hung out in a lounge chair. It seemed comfortable, although my husband did complain about too much chlorine. He did enjoy the sauna (aka sweat room). In the evening, they tended to run out of towels. That is pretty much expected during the weekend.

As I mentioned, the location was good. There were several restaurants, including a good diner within walking distance. Also, in the summer, there is an old time themed miniature golf course on the property.

It looks like they are trying to keep this motel up and running.

If you can get a good rate (we paid about $42 per night), I would recommend this motel, for a basic place to stay when in the Milford area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family