“Everyone is really nice, it's comfortable and convenient”

Mayflower Motel Milford
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Milford
New York City, New York
“Everyone is really nice, it's comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is a great value for the money. Everyone who works here is extremely nice, too. It's so down to earth, and I find this refreshing after some recent bad experiences at chain hotels. Mayflower doesn't have an attitude. It just gives simple and honest good service at a fair deal. My room is very comfortable. The TV reception is good. I am near several convenient food/gas/sundries/Stop n Shop. For anyone who needs a short or long-term stay, this gets my vote.

Room Tip: If you are a quiet freak, you may want a top floor room. I have some issues with the noise overhead...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Laurieweegs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Very basic, even at $68 a night. Not in a good part of town. Found animal hair in the sheets and there was drool on a pillow. There is an Adult Only channel on the TV - so beware of taking kids here. We didn't even stay the night, checked out after 2 hours and received a full refund after a bit of a discussion. Do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Kerry F

Travelers are raving about these Milford hotels

new haven, ct
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I am frankly rather surprised that the Mayflower even has a review site here. Let's face it, it isn't the type of place someone looks up to see if it's up to vacation snuff ("Hmmm, where shall we go? Let's check and see if this Mayflower is up to our standards.") It's more the type of place that, stuck on the I-95 corridor in Milford, one might eye as a possible berth for the night. If, in such a situation, you would then check with Trip Advisor, these reviews are for you.

The Mayflower complex used to be a diner and the motel, which is adjacent to a big truck stop; it has always been regarded as a truckers' place. When Hurricane Irene hit us recently I decided to spend a lovely evening in the West Haven Hampton Inn near my home, utilize the fitness room and pool and get a hot breakfast - because the days without power (or a hot shower) were starting to lose their pre-industrial charm. Suffice it to say that every hotel I called all the way west to Stamford and north to Meriden was booked. The only place with a vacancy was the Mayflower. Because it has that trucker rep, rather than a druggie-hooker rep, I figured it was okay (later I learned that it is a big spot for illicit activity, which sort of surprised me).

The lobby was pretty bad, although the check-in lady was nice. The place obviously had never been updated. A cat the size of a retriever snoozed on an old chair. The price was low but not exceedingly so considering the cheaper chains in the area (Econo Lodge, Red Roof) aren't much more. I didn't have $4.00 in cash for the key deposit so I had tp leave my license in the office.

The place accepted pets so I did bring my small dog, whom I had intended to leave home when I had those lush plans for the Hampton Inn...the dog after all didn't need a shower. I parked in front of the unit. Nearby was a unit with a charcoal kettle grill outside and an American flag stuck in the A/C unit, with a faded Miniature SchnauzerGuard Dog on Duty sign affixed to the door. I have seen this before driving by the place - permanent residents - and I thought that was kind of neat. So I sort of exoected to open the door and see basic, plain, but...

Wow, I opened the door. And here I was in what appeared to be a basement, panelled over in, say, the mid-60's, with Third-World quality lighting (fixtures updated sometime in the mid-70's, the wicker-dome-with-large-globe era). The floor was half drab carpet, half beaten-up linoleum. The bedsheet (there was no blanket) was the thickness of tissue paper and appeared clean, but it was navy blue (or black, too hard to tell in the dim light, which also wasn't great for revealing dirt or anything else - maybe that was a blessing). The bed was basically like a hard cot. The bedside lamp had a smashed shade, and the remote didn't work that well (you had to keep going backward through the channels to get back to one - not a big deal though as there weren't that many, despite the satellite dish out front that looks like something out of Mt. Palomar). There is only one small, high window covered with old plastic-lined maroon drapes.

The bathroom was bright and seemed basically clean; the shower was hot and the only amenities - two bars of soap - did their job. This was good, since that is basically why I was there.

I didn't pick up on a ton of noise (the AC would drown it out anyway), illegal dealings, nor did I feel unsafe. But I have to honestly say that I couldn't sleep well- couldn't wait for morning so I could leave (hard to tell too, as there is no clock). I haven't been so uncomfortable in a place since my family ended up at a dumpy place somewhere in Georgia in the 60's with rocks holding the beds up and a bar where we seemed to be the resident Florida-bound road-trip Yankee family and felt vaguely threatened (but had, despite that, the best fried chicken ever - even after 40 years I remember it!). I probably would have been better off going next door to the Pilot truck stop and using the showers there (as many seemed to be doing). So, if you're stuck in the area with no other recourse, I wouldn't say sleep in your car instead - but if you can find a room at the Comfort Inn or one of th other larger places around, go for it...unless you really would like to re-create spending a night in Joe Schmoe's basement.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank sullific
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Very nice stay very kind employees was there for a week got a call every mornig to make sure i had what i needed or needed my room to be cleaned. Many good places around motel as i food,movie theatres,mall..etc Cheapest motel in milford and one of the best lace looks a little old but kept pretty clean

Room Tip: Just ask for the best rates they will help
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple