“Need to fix the smell”

Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Milford
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I was traveling on business and decided to stay at the Hyatt Place in Milford CT. I had never experienced this Hyatt concept and was a bit disapointed about the stay. I was greated by the front desk and offered a quick tour of the hotel offerings. They have a small bar/eatery connected to the front desk that serves drinks & food. They also have a 24 hour mart that you can pick some small food items at. The lobby area was trendy and had several seating configurations to allow for private conversations.

The room was a standard king and it was more than enough space for one person. The living space had a large L shape couch, a desk, small kitchen. Dividing the room was a half wall screen with a large 42" tv that could be swung for viewing from the bed or living space. The bathroom was seperated into 2 spaces, a shower and toilet room and the sink was outside in the bedroom area. Overall the room was good except; There was a smell the hit me as soon as I entered the room. A smell of mold and must (much like a gym locker room) that has also been mentioned in these review's. I asked the front desk about what could be done and they claim it was due to the rain outside. Now it was raining but I believe it came from the heating/cooling system. They did add try to remove the odor by spraying a scent in the room but it did not really work. It was tough to really relax. The other issue was sound from the hall and next room. The wall's are very thin and I could hear the folks next door just talking.

The hotel does have alot going for it and I will give it another chance as I travel frequently to this area. I hope they can address the smell issue.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank travelerUSA21

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed in a two full suite for one night. Found a coupon for $95/nt here on tripadvisor..walk-ins only. Took the risk and drove from NY. Check in was easy, fast and friendly. Nice big room. Lots of towels. Weird sink set up for friends, better for a couple. The only thing was the odor! They pipe in some "hotel fragrance" through the entire hotel! It was a bit overpowering. My friend smelled mildew in our room (203) but I couldn't smell it over the other stuff. They have a lot of business amenities and a bar. They sell pastries and drinks in the lobby as well. The front desk staff was soo nice and accommodating I felt they belonged at a 5 star resort. I would stay again for the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This is as nice as any other Hyatt Place really. The location is quiet enough and clean and safe enough. Its right near I-95 too. Its just not in a "fancy" location and doesn't have any nice views of anything. Staff are friendly and rooms are clean. Parking was also adequate. I would stay here again if it required no problem.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matt2858
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Disclosure: We are pre-disposed to Hyatts in general based on many experiences before. That said, this Hyatt Place is everything it could be and should be. Staff is sincerely congenial and welcoming. The manager on duty that night went well above and beyond any special assistance I can ever recall when I found myself in a bit of a jam when my Chinese takeout arrived. This particular property has the pool design just right for adults - - one big hot tub (sorry, kids). The place is 4 years old but it still looks brand new. I'm not sure why anyone would go to Milford, but if you do, this is the clear choice: clean, modern, big rooms, big tv, free breakfast, free business center, great lobby bar...

Room Tip: upper floor, view of the highway
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4-star-traveler1952
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This was my first stay at a Hyatt Place hotel. The concept is great and I'll definitely become a frequent visitor. The rooms were clean and spacious, the breakfast buffet was delicious, and the service was perfect. I loved that I could get a beer at their small bar, a hot meal at the cafe and a cookie at the little "bakery". Very convenient.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank EddieMc2011
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Long overdue, I've stayed here many times when I needed to be close to my university's campus in New Haven rather than commuting back to Manhattan. This place is a bargain!! The hotel features free wifi service, newspapers and apples to grab if on-the-go. The rooms are all spacious and well laid out (sometimes you can hear the traffic from the highway, usually NOT). For the room comfort, etc., you're getting a 3.5- to 4-star room at a 2-star price. They feature a separate area with a desk, couch/lounge area to entertain, wet bar, sink (I recall) and fridge with a large flat screen TV. That section of the room is slightly partitioned away from the bed (I think the other part of the room has a second TV), closet and bathroom area. Though there is no room service, the area next to the front desk features a number of simple food options, along with a cafe (coffee to foo-foo drinks) and bar area, which is available 24 hours daily (great because you can just buy your coffee there and be on your way, rather than making another stop at a coffee shop). There is a small "business center," though I am hesitant to call it that, and comfy sitting areas scattered throughout the modest-sized lobby with TV with the news on. Pool and gym facilities (if I recall) are also available on the 1st floor. The hotel is located right off the Post Road (a.k.a. Route 1), in a somewhat dodgy area (it really only looks that way) but easily accessible to I-95. The staff, from the 8+ times I have stayed here, have ALWAYS been quite pleasant and surprisingly professional given the low room rate I had continually paid.

***A suggestion: If you are a frequent traveler, who will be staying in the area on a regular basis, I highly recommend signing-up with Hyatt's Gold Passport loyalty program. With the room rates as inexpensive as they usually are, I found it quite easy to reach elite status and receive a variety of perks because of it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Trekkingtheglobe_10
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I travel 3 to 4 days per week and this is one of my favorite hotels. The staff is warm, friendly and always ready to assist. The rooms are spacious and clean - and the breakfast is great. I won't stay anywhere else in Milford! Thanks Denise and team!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Austin_chiefkat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Hilton Garden Inn Milford
Hampton Inn Milford
Hampton Inn Milford
#5 of 13 in Milford
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton

Been to Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven? Share your experiences!