“Oh where, oh where can the flavor be?”

Sloppy Jose's Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

3 of us went to Sloppy Jose's for dinner. We were seated promptly and ordered margaritas and pina coladas. The drinks were standard bar mixed type, nothing special. Appetizer was a large nacho's with beef and a small amount of sour cream and guacamole. I had to salt and pepper it to get some flavor. I had a beef taco and cheese enchilada combo. The taco was ok, again I have to ask where is the flavor? The cheese enchilada was very small and lacking in flavor. This place needs to spice up and add some taste to it's food. Overall the service was good, the food eh, drinks standard. The pace of service allowed us some good conversation. My friends had a burrito plates and also commented on the lack of flavor.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have been going for years and found the food quality slipped some. Now it is back ip to my expectations. Good work!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I really like Mexican food and I was willing to try this restaurant even though the TA reviews were mixed because I know some people give bad reviews due to not really liking Mexican. When greeted by our very sweet waitress Natalie with mediocre salsa I was worried. Then the mediocre guacamole came and things went down from there. Grilled chicken was dry and overcooked, pico de gallo was canned I think. No Mexican beers on tap. The only good thing we had was a corn relish that came with a portabello mushroom and black bean special. I needed to add hot sauce from the table to give the main dish some flavor but the relish was really delicious. Unfortunately we won't be back.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Okay, this was not our first time at Sloppy Jose's. We've been fans for well over a decade, maybe two. This is the first time I finally got around to writing a review. First, this is NOT a big place so you MAY have to wait for a table if it is a busy night.

Wait. The food is worth it.

The salsa is homemade. It isn't too chunky and not too hot. Just enough of both. Homemade chips too. Thin, crisp and light. You'll eat too many, we always do.

This time around I had fajitas which arrived piping hot and appropriately spicy, but again not so hot as to have me reaching for the maalox. My wife had a vegetarian something-or-another which she proclaimed "delicious."

As always, service was efficient but not sterile. These people have personality and are happy to share some of it with you.

Go...enjoy the food and the people you will meet there.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We started with empanadas filled with potato but I think the potato mixture came out of a box. The crust was tasty but the filling killed it for me. We ordered a half carafe of sangria. Too much ice--not a good value.

We were not expecting much but were pleasantly surprised when the fajitas came. I had shrimp while my husband had chicken and we both enjoyed our meal.

The atmosphere was pleasant but if you go in the winter, sit in the main room. We sat at a table in the bar and were freezing all night long. The service was fine.