“Free parking & admission”

Silver Sands State Park
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Milford
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The best thing about Silver Sands was that it was completely free. But you get what you pay for. We didn't mind the long walk in from the parking lot, but a bathhouse would have helped. The lifeguards were friendly, but made sure we didn't walk out to the island because the tide was coming in. If you go, take everything you'll need for the day with you.

3  Thank bearded_bard

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Quiet park, good to let the dogs out and go for a walk along the boardwalk, swim and a picnic.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great for family walks. Beautiful views and good parking.

1  Thank Madigan5
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Lovely beach and parkland - well patrolled by Rangers. Very clean and only used by Nice people.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We recently moved to New Haven county, and when people started telling me how close we now were to beaches, I got excited! Well, really, this beach is 45 minutes away, but I'm okay with that...

PROS:

Free Parking
Interesting landscape - sand bar to Charles Island, tidal pools, several walkable rock walls, boardwalk that will take you along the length of the beach
Picnic Tables
Water seemed clean and waves were good for my kids (10, 8, 4)- water was not flat, had a fun bit of wave
Lots of shells for collecting

CONS

No food service or bathrooms - just porta potties and soda vending machines (not a huge deal, but a con nevertheless)
Beach was littered (yuck) - not terribly so, but enough to detract from my enjoyment of the beach. Esp. since they clearly make an effort to provide trash cans and recycling for the patrons.
SO MANY SHELLS - literally, it was hard to walk without shoes on. Which limited my ability to enjoy beach walks, go into the water, lay out my towel, play on the beach...

I need to check out other near beaches, before I decide whether to return here. I'm really torn...But the kids did have a great time, so maybe I need to lower my sand standard...

1  Thank CristinaCS