“Outstanding gourmet chocolates”

Tschudin Chocolates
Ranked #3 of 8 Dessert in Middletown
Cuisines: Spanish, Street Food
Good for: Romantic
Description: Winner, Food Network's ReWrapped! Finalist, Food Network's Sweet Genius! Tschudin Chocolates & Confections features fresh cream chocolates, bonbons and pralines along with specialty tarts and mousse cakes including mango-milk chocolate and white chocolate-pignoli. Many gluten-free and vegan choices, too! The shop serves as a training ground for aspiring culinary students. Travelers: appointments can be arranged even on days officially closed. And always check Google for updated hours. Sometimes we add (for example, Valentines Day week) sometimes we subtract (for example, Super Bowl Sunday). Currently, taking a couple of weeks for continuing education. Regular hours resume May 3, 2018.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The choices among many chocolate delicacies are amazing - and delicious. Ingredients are of the highest quality, blended in creative ways. Though expensive, the chocolates are special and worth it.

1  Thank HasCT

Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you appreciate fine chocolates, as well as cooking, the chocolate making class is for you. I saw a Groupon for the introductory chocolate-making class, and I decided to make a present to my wife. We like cooking, and my wife has decent baking skills. So, we thought we would try it.

Rob (owner of the place, very attentive and charismatic) warned us that the class would last 4-5 hours, depending on how well the process will go. There were 4 people in our class (including us).

Champagne and orange juice were served at the beginning of the class. It started with the video, explaining history of chocolate, as well as chocolate making process, including tempering and crystallization. The video lasted about 30-40 minutes, and the second video did not start, so we proceeded to the "hands-on" part, the making of the chocolate truffles.

The class was well-organized. Most ingredients were prepared before we started, and kitchen space was well-utilized by our group. Each person had a chance to participate directly in every step of the process, from tempering and making the Ganache to coating to rolling in the chocolate "powder". We also compared various types of commercial chocolate that can be used in the candy making, and found all of them delicious.

There were no delays or interruptions in the class, except two times when customers came in to get some chocolates. While the chocolate Ganache was cooling and the chocolate for coating was mixing, we watched a second video, much shorter than a first one.

At the end of the class the group got some of the truffles made in the class, as well as some of the pre-made candy from display. I asked Rob for a few recipes, and he was happy to provide them.

All-in-all it was a very educational and pleasant experience for us. While we do not have granite counter at home, we do have a fairly large marble board. So, I think we will try one of the recipes we got.

2  Thank ALT1001
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My friends and I went in to see what kind of Chocolates they had to offer. The girls behind the counter were nice, although the place is very small and crowded with a lot of stuff, with only about 4 seats to sit inside, it was too chilly/windy to sit outside so we took our stuff to go. We got a couple Frozen Treats, which had a Freezer Burnt/Stale taste to it, The chocolate from the case had a Stale taste to it also. it was actually pretty tasteless! When the girl told me my total cost for 2 treats and some chocolate from the case, I wanted to say keep it and walk out.... and that was before tasting it, after tasting it, I wanted to return it for my money back, but we had already left the area! Way Too Much money wasted on a trip to the Tschudin Chocolates Store!!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Very nice people, very helpful. But, the chocolates cost so much money!! We got a chocolate covered banana, chocolate covered moose pop and a piece of brittle and it cost $26!! To make matters worse the chocolate tasted incredibly stale! It was a big mistake going to this place.. my family and I could have gone out to dinner for this price!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have waited months to write this review because I am so torn. My first experiences at this shop were when the business opened (4 years ago). At that time the shop was clean, free of clutter and the owner was (remains) so warm and affable; his enthusiasm about chocolate blankets everyone he encounters. When I lived closer, I purchased boxes of chocolates as gifts and have been pleased.

My previous good experiences gave me the confidence to schedule an advertised "tour". We were excited for our 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Experience'! Three of us drove an hour each to descend on Middletown for what we assumed would be (was described as) our introduction to chocolate making, including chocolate tasting. Total cost $150 + tax.

What we got was a haphazard, disjointed, ADHD lesson in everything from not-really-safe kitchen safety to a nonlinear narrative of something; honestly it was so scattered our takeaway was nil. We made nothing from start to finish. We started to make 3 different things, but in the end the most significant thing we accomplished in 3.5 hours (we asked to leave, as it would have continued longer) was throwing nuts and dried fruits into melted chocolate that cooled (after we left) into chocolate bark. We understood that retail clients would interrupt and we would be making what needed to be made, but the inability to complete a task was entirely due to our host's inability to stay on track.

Our tasting was nothing more than our teacher pulling pieces of candy melts from huge, well-worn wholesale bags with his bare hands in order to demonstrate the varying percentages of cacao. Some of it was downright inedible and left a horrid taste in our mouths. None of this was turning out as we planned.

The shop has become a dumping ground for everything from used furniture to racks of failed chocolate experiments that we learned would be dumped back in the melting pot for future use (ewwww!). I don't know how the health department views the disarray and stacks of everything imaginable 'sanitary', but I do not.

After we left, the three of us were racked with disappointment and disbelief. I had brought them there as a surprise treat and it turned into 3.5 completely wasted hours at a considerable expense.

This is all really a shame, as the owner is a genuinely kind man with very good intentions. His knowledge is clearly thorough and impressive, but his ability to teach/convey is not. His staff was flip and condescending toward him. He does deliver a quality product, but seeing the conditions in which it is made has turned me off for life. I hated writing this review, but it really needs to be said.

TSchocolates, Owner at Tschudin Chocolates, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

While we thank the reviewer and think we've changed a lot in the intervening months, we would simply point out that we get 99's and 100's on our health inspections, we normally have a clear glove on the hand reaching into any box of "raw" chocolate and that our "Tasting and Tour" was never designed or intended to be the hands-on experience of the "Chocolate 101" Class we now offer. This perception gap is one of the reasons we are gradually phasing out "Tours and Tastings" and focusing more on chocolate classes. The tasting is not a sampling of our wares (though by special arrangement, it can be) but instead is meant to be an introduction to the true meaning of cacao percentages as compared to the hype, and therefor not everything tasted can possibly be agreeable to the palate since some of the samples lack sugar or contain a deliberate imbalance of ingredients to illustrate various points. While we do remelt "failed chocolate experiments" there is nothing unusual about that, and obviously we don't remelt sculptures that have been sitting out in the open or have been exposed to perishables or potential allergens such as cream, butter or nuts. As far as the clutter is concerned, we have made great strides, have repainted and have also invested in substantial offsite storage. But we will always be more of a nutty artists' studio than a conventional chocolate factory. That said, we thank the writer for her comments, hope to mend our relationship and continually strive to improve.