“The new place is . . .”

Ion It's Only Natural Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 160 Restaurants in Middletown
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award-winning VEGAN restaurant, vegetarian, healthy, fresh bread and soups, gluten-free options, vegan, ORGANIC, non-GMO, local, woman-owned and operated, sexy, full bar, organic and biodynamic wines, specialty cocktails, art gallery, outdoor seating, amazing vegan desserts
Reviewed September 28, 2013

TOO LOUD! The food, as always is sublime, but the new location is noisy because if cinder block walls, glass windows, metal, industrial ceilings. We've been coming here for years, but can't have a conversation here, our server asked, "How was your experience tonight?" I said, "The food was excellent as usual, but it's too loud." He leaned over, and said, "What?"

1  Thank BetaMom

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

ION offered many gluten free vegan and vegetarian options. More than most places that may offer a salad or two as long as you don't use dressing. ION offered a few very tasty rice dishes that were not only tasty, but filling as well. They were in the process of moving to a new location so they did not have any GF beers, but that can easily be overlooked. Worth a try if you are GF and eating in the Middletown area.

1  Thank Shnoogie
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I have come here many times, but this review is for the most recent visit. As always, the options are fantastic for vegetarians, vegans, and those with other dietary restrictions. On this trip, I ordered the special entree, which was crusted tempeh over a bed of a quinoa-sweet potato mixture and wilted kale. My wife ordered the taco salad, which ION was able to make vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. We also split an order of the sweet potato fries, which are a must-have!

The food was all pretty good, but I'm not sure it's quite worth the price. Over the last few years, the prices have gone up a considerable amount. Granted, a vegetarian/vegan restaurant is going to be more expensive than a "typical" restaurant. But we have actually stopped going to ION as much as we used to because of the price (and that's saying a lot, since there are very few good vegetarian options in Connecticut).

Our service was good, the ambiance outside is very nice, and we're excited to check it out after the move!

1  Thank Ezra B
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had read mixed reviews, but my vegetarian friends begged to go. I have been here many times and the service can be a little inconsistent, but ours was fine that night. I will say that the sweet potato fries are excellent. My friends raved about the macrobiotic plate and the Cajun tempeh. I can't go wrong with the soup and salad with lemon tahini dressing. The greens are always fresh and the soup is never too salty. You can get wine and beer to drink.

1  Thank happiness4all
Reviewed July 27, 2013

nice ambience. food was just ok. blah blah blah blah blah (I still hate the minimum character requirement.