“Pleasantly Surprised with FANTASTIC art on the walls!”

Ion It's Only Natural Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 159 Restaurants in Middletown
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award-winning VEGAN restaurant, vegetarian, healthy, fresh bread and soups, gluten-free options, vegan, ORGANIC, non-GMO, local, woman-owned and operated, sexy, full bar, organic and biodynamic wines, specialty cocktails, art gallery, outdoor seating, amazing vegan desserts
Reviewed October 26, 2012

You would not expect to find this funky cafe in a strip mall but I have to give them alot of credit....the food was tasty, full of spices and the price point right on target. I love that they display local artist on the walls. It is not easy trying to maintain a successful all natural (vegetarian) menu and the owners seem to have hired the right chefs because the food was excellent. Our server (Jasmine?) was very attentive. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I used to love eating here, but in the last year or so I feel as though the restaurant is going downhill and no one at the restaurant seems to care. I almost always get my order to go because the service is terrible when you dine there, and the food quality is inconsistent, with my last few orders being pretty poor - soggy, undercooked sweet potato fries, missing sauces, tiny portions of tempeh on huge slabs of tasteless bread.

The worst experience I had there was when I went with a friend who has a deadly sesame allergy. We asked our server to check if there was anything sesame - seed, oil, etc - in the southern fried tofu app, letting him know that we were asking due to a severe allergy. He assured us there was not. Thankfully the app came out with a garnish of lemon dipped in sesame seeds, b/c it did in fact contain sesame oil. One bite and my friend would have died (she did not have her epipen with her, which is her fault not the restaurant's, but that is why we asked specifically about the ingredients). We pointed this out to our server and got an "Oops... sorry" response. You'd think they could have at least comped us the appetizer or our drinks, but nope, we were billed for everything. My friend didn't want to make a big deal out of it at the time, but really should have.

The staff don't seem to care, and the menu has been the same for years - nothing new! With other new veg options popping up in CT, I see no reason to keep going to ION for mediocre food and lackluster service.

1  Thank JenniferE_1133837
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our family (three vegans and a vegetarian) drove over a half hour to have dinner here, and were not disappointed,. There were so many choices, we were overwhelmed. The nachos were yummy, as were the 3 different pizzas we ordered, and the cakes... We ate too much, but it was worth it. The decor is funky, with chalkboard tabletops and the work of local artists on the wall. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. Only negative...the women's room was clean, but the men's room (as per my husband) was not.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had frequented ION quite a bit in the past but felt the service and food quality was going downhill. We decided to give it a try last night and had the most unbelievable experience. The waitress was friendly, efficient and very professional. We thoroughly enjoyed the sweet potato enchiladas with brown rice and the most delicious black beans. It was a huge portion and to die for! So happy that we gave this place another chance and look forward to the next meal there.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stopped in here on Saturday late in the afternoon. I think I was the only person there at that point because it was neither lunch nor dinner hour. I ordered the dumplings (appetizer). They were fantastic....great dipping sauce. I love tea and got a nice HOT pot of tea. I just wanted a snack, but was still starved so I got a piece of homemade carrot cake to go with the tea. It was fantastic. Small bits of toasted coconut on the plate under the cake plus it was drizzled with carmel and topped with a few nuts. Plus it was a 4 layer cake. It was just the best. Great waitress. I have never had a bad meal here. They really know how to make vegetarian food.