“Very disappointing”

Jerry's Pizza
Ranked #69 of 159 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I gave Jerry's 2 chances and will never go again. I placed a take-out order by phone for a small white clam pizza for myself and a sausage pizza for my husband. When we got it home, my husband thought his pizza was satisfactory - not outstanding, but ok. But I was very disappointed in the clam pizza. There were not alot of clams, and what little clams there were were pooled in the center of the pizza with none within 2-3 inches of the edge. I've had white clam pizzas at Illiano's and First and Last Tavern and this was very disappointing. And at $14 I found it to be very overpriced for what was received. I brought it back to the restaurant and politely advised that I didn't think it was very good. The manager told me I was wrong! She was very indignant and pointed to the clams pooled in the center of the pizza and claimed that it was sufficient and appropriately made. My husband used to work at a pizza house and he has always been critical of pizzas that are poorly crafted - that do not have the ingredients spread evenly throughout the pizza. I became annoyed that the manager was basically telling me that I was wrong. I asked for a refund. She refused. She finally agreed to give me a certificate for the amount of the pizza.

A few weeks later I went back and ordered the lobster ravioli. Another disappointment. I could not discern any lobster taste. The side salad was basically some iceberg lettuce with a plastic cup of so-called blue cheese dressing on the side.

Maybe they do other things well, but I won't try again.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Whoever it was that said "even when pizza is bad, it's still pretty good" obviously never ate here.
I think what set our visit up for failure was that the kid behind the counter had a cast on his hand and was touching everything with it- food, money and who knows what else. Can't imagine he was washing his hands regularly with a cast. Why couldn't they make him wear a glove? Gross. Not a good first impression to say the least. The pizza was sloppy, loaded with the cheap toppings-onions, and did not taste good at all.

Reviewed May 19, 2010

When I moved to this area people kept telling me how I had to go to Jerry's so I did. I tried it twice actually. It was the worst pizza I've ever had! (from a freestanding pizza place. Those chain pizza franchises still have worse pizza than this) The sauce was terrrible, the crust tasted lousy. It was greasy and....oh it was just bad, bad, bad! Run away! If you've ever had real New Haven pizza and that's the style you are looking for this definitely isn't it.

jerryspizza, Owner at Jerry's Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

Metalmaiden,

I feel terrible you didn't have a good visit with us! i would like to extend an invite to you to try us once again. You can call and ask for me personally and i would like to take care of you..... I have a handful of customers that love that New Haven style of pizza and i take extra care and make them a thinner, crispier pizza than our New York style pizza....We have been feeding Middletown for 42 years, now i know everyone can't be a lover but i would like to try to make you loving or just liking Jerry's :)

-Carmela, Jerry's Daughter

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Not sure why this place gets good reviews, it was terrible

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I memorized Jerry's phone number in 1984 during my first semester at Wesleyan, and I have used it regularly ever since, including earlier this evening when we ordered some shells with sauce. We love their pizza!