“Why did it take me two years to find this place?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe 56

Cafe 56
Ranked #7 of 156 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Latin, South American, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Very new restaurant. Only opened for about one month
Middletown, Connecticut
“Why did it take me two years to find this place?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

I've been living in Middletown for two years and finally had the luck to try Cafe 56. What a hidden gem. The food is delicious, innovative and the menu changes every day. Everything tasted so fresh and was perfectly seasoned. From the soup to sandwiches, you can't make a bad choice. This is not a place to visit if you expect to be wined and dined. You order at the counter and get your own water, etc. This, to me, is fine for a casual lunch. The chef is right there to answer any questions. She is very pleasant and is a culinary genius. I almost didn't want to post a review because I hope not too many people find out about this little diamond in the ruff.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank CTHeather

Middletown, ct
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food in town ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This place is perfect. Service is excellent - the owner, chef and all the staff are fast and pleasant. Food is amazing and inspired. Ambiance is cool and relaxed. We always make it our destination if we're craving for that special weekend breakfast.

1 Thank Glen T
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

I have been to Cafe 56 a number of times. The food is good but inconsistent and very expensive. I ordered a take out tuna sandwich on sourdough bread (not toasted) with only lettuce for $9.50. Unfortunately I did not receive what I ordered. I first called Cafe 56 to let them know there was a problem with my order, but I just did not have the time to return to the restaurant. I did receive an apology but nothing more. After tasting the sandwich, I called back and said that I was returning to either be given a correct sandwich, or to get my money back since the sandwich was inedible. Once back at Cafe 56 I was confronted by the owner. She stated to me that I needed to be clear with my order. I told her that I was very specific as I have received incorrect orders in the past. She stated that the bread must be grilled otherwise it would taste like the freezer and feel stale. When I asked why there was mustard all over both sides of the bread, I was told that the tuna was very dry so she added mayo and mustard to the tuna. I repeated that the mustard was all over the bread. Her response was that mustard is always on her tuna sandwiches. I told her this was untrue as I was just there earlier in the week, last week, and other times as well and there has never been mustard on my tuna sandwich (and the bread is always grilled contrary to my order - now I know why). I suggested that the individual taking the phone order could have informed me that the mustard was necessary on the tuna sandwich so I could decide if I wanted to order something else. Her response was that the person taking the phone orders did not know. The owner was argumentative, extremely defensive and unprofessional throughout the entire encounter. She said that in the future once she sees my name associated with the order that she will now how to make it. She then said that she would refund my money. As we moved towards the register the owner said that she would no longer take my orders unless I spoke with her directly. I said that would not be necessary. She said that it was necessary and proceeded to take a $10 bill out of the register, throw it on the counter, and turn and walk away. I was shocked and asked her if this is what she considers good customer service. She said yes and continued to walk away. Never once did she take responsibility for the mistake. She made it seem like it was my fault for her not making the correct sandwich. This was a terrible and upsetting experience and one of the worst displays of customer service that I have ever seen.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank seaglass424
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Sandwich Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife stumbled on Cafe 56 and what a find! Fresh, tasty unusual sandwiches, salads and more. It is an order and sit down and they will bring it to your table operation. Get your drinks, etc. and pay for everything at the end. Excellent staff. I can't stress how different the food was compared to the franchise burgers and fries joints. This is real cooking done with care and pride.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank JimConnecticut1
Middletown, Connecticut
“Amazing sandwiches and perfect pastries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a little gem of a place, with friendly staff and really excellent food. I had the Cubano sandwich, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. The house sauce makes it outstanding. It's only open for breakfast and lunch so get there early.

• Visited December 2013